Weston Richburg to sign 5 year deal

NcFinest9erFan

1 hour ago, DTMW78 said:

So Kilgore moves to guard and Richburg at C? 

I hope thats the plan. The only way Richburg makes any sense is@Center. For this scheme, thats where his impact will be felt the most. Kilgore couldnt consistently get to those backside defenders on traps and pulls. That's where Richburg excels. His agility@Center is what makes him the player he is. Doesnt have that same impact@OG.

14 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

I hope thats the plan. The only way Richburg makes any sense is@Center. For this scheme, thats where his impact will be felt the most. Kilgore couldnt consistently get to those backside defenders on traps and pulls. That's where Richburg excels. His agility@Center is what makes him the player he is. Doesnt have that same impact@OG.

If so, I would think that would be where they see Richburg playing. Perhaps Kilgore is a backup now? I would have no problem at all with that.

1 hour ago, Chrissooner49er said:

If so, I would think that would be where they see Richburg playing. Perhaps Kilgore is a backup now? I would have no problem at all with that.

Considering we signed Gilliam to more money than he deserves to hopefully be a back-up (although, it's next year's cap hit that is larger, I doubt he will see that money), maybe it shows the FO's willingness to pay for good back-ups. Kilgore is making 5.5m this year, but only 2.7 next year, and can be cut without dead money. He's not necessarily paid like someone who features in the long term plans of the team. So if we have a chance to significantly improve our long term future by signing another lineman or drafting one, then I'm sure we'll consider it. I'd start Kilgore at LG, personally, and if we draft a rookie OG, he will be able to be brought along slowly, if need be. 

My only hope is that having Staley, Richburg, Kilgore (for this year at least), Gilliam (for this year only), Garnett and Brown (for how long, though?) means that Zane Beadles can go looking for a job elsewhere sooner rather than later.

My thinking is Kilgore is in competiton for RG. I think Garnett will be given every opportunity to win the job@LG. I think we'll still draft a interior lineman fairly high but I think LG is Garnett's job to lose. If Richburg is indeed in the fold, he should be the starting center. But with his injury history, having Kilgore helps alleviate any concerns we have if Richburg misses time. I think its possible that Kilgore, at his best, could start@RG and be serviceable. And at his worst, he back-up all three interior line positions and provides quality depth.

2 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

My thinking is Kilgore is in competiton for RG. I think Garnett will be given every opportunity to win the job@LG. I think we'll still draft a interior lineman fairly high but I think LG is Garnett's job to lose. If Richburg is indeed in the fold, he should be the starting center. But with his injury history, having Kilgore helps alleviate any concerns we have if Richburg misses time. I think its possible that Kilgore, at his best, could start@RG and be serviceable. And at his worst, he back-up all three interior line positions and provides quality depth.

MM said that he thinks Richburg is a guard starting out with Kilgore at center. Would be very put off by that move. 

4 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So no one has the money details of the signing? Weird? 

I was thinking the same thing...completely bizarre that there has been absolutely no mention of the money at this point. I'm going to say something like 5/45. 

i went to WZ for a look, and found this unrelated bit on him:

PFF
Weston Richburg, C, New York Giants

On limited snaps in 2017, Richburg allowed just three total QB pressures on 173 snaps in pass protection. Through his career, Richburg has allowed only four sacks on a whipping 2,112 pass-blocking snaps

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-the-nfls-top-50-unrestricted-free-agents-heading-into-2018-free-agency

dunno about contract details, though.. but was interesting

Archived