The 2018 Kirk Cousins Megathread

Heimdallr

Cousins:  ''I think as a seventh-year player, now you have a little freedom to just be yourself and to not take a back seat and to just be vocal within reason. Be a leader, step up, and let your voice be heard. To their credit, the guys have received it well, and it's been fun to just assimilate myself into the offense and into the program. Everything is new, so I'm just continuing to try to get to where the plays and the reads and the terminology are all instinctual without having to think. That takes a long time, but every day you can take a step in that process.''  

Zimmer: "Anytime you're new to an organization, you feel your way around a little bit. He's doing that some, but he's leading. He's taking charge. He has a lot on his plate right now.'' 

https://kfan.iheart.com/featured/vikings-blog/content/2018-05-31-newcomer-cousins-on-leading-vikes-let-your-voice-be-heard-kfan-1003/

Thielen:  "Diggs said it the other day – the spiral Kirk puts on the ball just makes it easy for us to catch.  It just kind of pops out of his hand differently than you’re used to, and you don’t see that kind of stuff on film. You can only see that when you’re out here practicing. It’s been fun, and we have a lot of work to do.”

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/Lunchbreak-Pelissero-Visits-With-Highly-Encouraged-Vikings-WRs-/e6116cc2-055c-44cb-a3cb-8d826b135457?sf190849266=1

49 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Thielen:  "Diggs said it the other day – the spiral Kirk puts on the ball just makes it easy for us to catch.  It just kind of pops out of his hand differently than you’re used to, and you don’t see that kind of stuff on film. You can only see that when you’re out here practicing. It’s been fun, and we have a lot of work to do.”

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/Lunchbreak-Pelissero-Visits-With-Highly-Encouraged-Vikings-WRs-/e6116cc2-055c-44cb-a3cb-8d826b135457?sf190849266=1

Not only that, but his passes are often on time and on target. Almost reminds me of the first Saints game last year in that aspect, in terms of what we could see. 

Cousins' accuracy percentage (note: NOT completion percentage) indoors ranked 4th in the league over the last two years, per PFF.

DeFilippo: “The guys in Philly used to make fun of me. We all need to be pushed, and there’s no pushback from Cousins. We’ll be in the film room, and those other guys on offense hear the second-highest-paid player in the league getting his butt chewed a little bit. There’s no prima donnas around here. I think that’s why he and I both made a transition into this culture, because those are qualities he and I both believe in. For a guy that’s had that much success, he wants to be coached hard. The guys that want to get better all have that trait. He has that quality, and he listens.”.

Gene DeFilippo, father: “John loves that Kirk’s a football junkie. Just knowing what I’ve read about Kirk, and what I’ve heard, I think he and John are going to be really, really good together.”

http://www.startribune.com/vikings-john-defilippo-and-kirk-cousins-a-melding-of-the-minds/484395031/

Cousins is drawing rave reviews across the board for his performance with the Vikings this offseason since joining the team in mid-March. This team is essentially going through a soft reboot on offense with a new quarterback and offensive coordinator in John DeFilippo, but several people have spoken about the leadership and energy that Cousins brings to the table, as well as his approachability. DeFilippo said during a session with the media during an earlier OTA session that he was surprised at just how fast the ball comes off of Cousins' hands, so even in having a guy they see as a known commodity, the new franchise signal-caller is turning heads.

https://247sports.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/ContentGallery/Minnesota-Vikings-OTAs-The-most-impressive-players-so-far-in-2018-118827787/#118827787_1

On 6/10/2018 at 9:05 AM, vike daddy said:

Cousins is drawing rave reviews across the board for his performance with the Vikings this offseason since joining the team in mid-March. This team is essentially going through a soft reboot on offense with a new quarterback and offensive coordinator in John DeFilippo, but several people have spoken about the leadership and energy that Cousins brings to the table, as well as his approachability. DeFilippo said during a session with the media during an earlier OTA session that he was surprised at just how fast the ball comes off of Cousins' hands, so even in having a guy they see as a known commodity, the new franchise signal-caller is turning heads.

https://247sports.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/ContentGallery/Minnesota-Vikings-OTAs-The-most-impressive-players-so-far-in-2018-118827787/#118827787_1

And they will have to go through a soft reboot in 2019 as well when the Vikings win the Super Bowl, DeFillippo gets the Bengals HC job after Marvin Lewis actually does quit this time or gets fired, and Stefanski gets promoted to OC.  

Saw this on another forum, thought I would share it here.

#Vikings GM Rick Spielman at charity golf outing on recruiting Kirk Cousins 1/2: “We went through the whole rigmarole, the private jet to come down to pick him up (during free agency), putting him in a (hotel) suite, and taking out to dinner to give him $84 million... 
6:59 AM - 7 Jun 2018

#Vikings GM Rick Spielman on recruiting Kirk Cousins 2/2: “But when we asked Kirk, ‘When did you know you wanted to be a Minnesota Viking? ‘When I came here for the Super Bowl (in February).’ I said, ‘We did all that for nothing. We could have saved a lot of money and time.”

From this podcast:

https://247sports.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/Bolt/Kirk-Cousins-chase-detailed-by-Rick-Spielman-on-podcast-117042834

2 hours ago, ILoveTheVikings said:

Saw this on another forum, thought I would share it here.

#Vikings GM Rick Spielman at charity golf outing on recruiting Kirk Cousins 1/2: “We went through the whole rigmarole, the private jet to come down to pick him up (during free agency), putting him in a (hotel) suite, and taking out to dinner to give him $84 million... 
6:59 AM - 7 Jun 2018

#Vikings GM Rick Spielman on recruiting Kirk Cousins 2/2: “But when we asked Kirk, ‘When did you know you wanted to be a Minnesota Viking? ‘When I came here for the Super Bowl (in February).’ I said, ‘We did all that for nothing. We could have saved a lot of money and time.”

From this podcast:

https://247sports.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/Bolt/Kirk-Cousins-chase-detailed-by-Rick-Spielman-on-podcast-117042834

This is great, have to take advantage of that tho. It’s cool to see a player that truly WANTED to come to Minnesota like that tho. You don’t always see that. 

2 hours ago, Klomp said:

You know, it really bugs me when I hear people say the Vikings have to win it all this year or the Cousins signing was a mistake. Last I checked, he didn't sign a 1-year deal.

I feel he same way. It’s irritating! We have a very tough schedule this season. Kirk & Co. need to establish and build chemistry, this takes time. I have no doubt that we will be tight in the mix, but saying we need to win it all is a bit much.

11 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

What is a realistic expectation then for us to win the Superbowl with Kirk? Minimum 3 years?  every year? none at all? 

A realistic expectation for a team that has never won the Super Bowl and hasn't appeared in the Super Bowl in over 4 decades?

Honestly, I just want this thing to be sustainable. We haven't made consecutive playoff appearances in almost a decade, let's start there. Whatever happens in the playoffs, happens. If we can become a yearly presence in the postseason, we're doing better than most of the league (Atlanta is the only NFC team that has an active consecutive playoff appearance streak).

• Like 1