The 2018 Kirk Cousins Megathread

Heimdallr

1 hour ago, Torchezim said:

I have hope.

That would be great, but it would probably take a trade of "Herschel-esque" proportions for us to move up that far and get the team with the #1 pick off of that selection.  It would take a GM with either a huge ego or huge cojones to trade away the chance for a player like Trevor Lawrence.

4 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

With all this talk about Tua, if you guys have your heart set on a QB with a newly replaced hip, I'm available.

As far as Spielman is concerned, I wouldn't even dream of replacing him.  He has put together one of the best rosters in the league.  If you want to say he hasn't found a QB yet, I would counter by saying that Teddy would have been a good one.  Other than that, what would you have done if you were the GM and were put in the almost annual need for a QB?  They don't grow on trees.  The Vikings have had a lot of bad luck when it comes to the most important position on the field, and I think both Rick Spielman and Mike Zimmer have done a good job in spite of the bad hands they have been dealt with their QBs.  Give them time and they will get us to the promised land. 

I'd complain that he's failed for a half decade in putting together even an above-average offensive line and that has contributed to A LOT of this team's problems starting probably back in 2014-ish. We've seen a handful of quarterbacks (Teddy, Bradford, Keenum, Kirk) running for their lives or getting sacked on a regular basis which has drastically hurt this team for years.

Spielman has been GM since 2012( and VPoPP since 2012)....8 seasons. 1 playoff win.

Zimmer has been with the team since 2014....6 seasons. 1 playoff win.

1 playoff win. A playoff win that literally took a "Minneapolis Miracle" to produce.

How much more time do we need to give them to send us to the "promise land?" Looks to me as we're sitting on the side of the road in "Mediocrityville" with our flashers on as we see a bunch of teams passing us to head to Promise Land.

Edited by Vikes_Bolts1228

1 minute ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

I'd complain that he's failed for a half decade in putting together even an above-average offensive line and that has contributed to A LOT of this team's problems starting probably back in 2014-ish. We've seen a handful of quarterbacks (Teddy, Bradford, Keenum, Kirk) running for their lives or getting sacked on a regular basis which has drastically hurt this team for years.

Spielman has been GM since 2012....8 seasons. 1 playoff win.

Zimmer has been with the team since 2014....6 seasons. 1 playoff win.

1 playoff win. A playoff win that literally took a "Minneapolis Miracle" to produce.

How much more time do we need to give them to send us to the "promise land?" Looks to me as we're sitting on the side of the road a mile outside of the "promise land" watching other teams pass us by.

This week, if the team does as they did against Philadelphia in 2017 and just rolls over and wets on themselves, I'll be much closer to coming over to your camp.  As of right now though, we are one of 12 teams who are still on the road to the big prize.  There are 20 other teams who are outside looking in.  Spielman and Zimmer have put us into the top third of the league as of right now, and I give them credit for that.  We'll just have to wait and see how the game goes on Sunday.

Also, I give Zim credit for that playoff game against Seattle in the cold.  It's pretty tough to blame the head coach when we were in position to win that game and our kicker misses a 27-yard field goal to put it away.

26 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

That would be great, but it would probably take a trade of "Herschel-esque" proportions for us to move up that far and get the team with the #1 pick off of that selection.  It would take a GM with either a huge ego or huge cojones to trade away the chance for a player like Trevor Lawrence.

Hell someone has to do it again.  lol.  I think Lawrence is worth it.  Even if he is in college, in my opinion, he is THAT much of a sure thing.  Massive success sure thing.  

I’ll go out in a limb and say, if we had Lawrence, He would eventually become the best Vikings QB ever. 

1 minute ago, Uncle Buck said:

This week, if the team does as they did against Philadelphia in 2017 and just rolls over and wets on themselves, I'll be much closer to coming over to your camp.  As of right now though, we are one of 12 teams who are still on the road to the big prize.  There are 20 other teams who are outside looking in.  Spielman and Zimmer have put us into the top third of the league as of right now, and I give them credit for that.  We'll just have to wait and see how the game goes on Sunday.

Also, I give Zim credit for that playoff game against Seattle in the cold.  It's pretty tough to blame the head coach when we were in position to win that game and our kicker misses a 27-yard field goal to put it away.

Sure agree with you 100%. Nothing should be decided until Sunday.

I just see that we're well passed the peak of this "era" of Vikings football and that we're going to be the Bengals for the next handful of years. Good enough to play in the Wild Card round and MAYBE win a game but not good enough to make a serious run until we just suck.

We've been blessed with competitive football from the Vikings for most of the past 15 years but I also want something more than one playoff win every decade.

Spielman and Zimmer hasn't given us anything more than that and it's not looking like they're going to with the QB concerns, o-line, aging defense, and potentially losing another OC.

• Like 1

I was watching the game at my son’s apartment, but my wife and I had to leave at 3:10 for another commitment.  So I listened to overtime on the car radio.

On the slant pass to Diggs for the first down, Paul Allen actually called Cousins a “cold blooded quarterback”.  LOL. Good ole PA.

Edited by since72
Correction
  • Like 1

Cousins was really good today. About the only thing I’d fault him on is the first sack, for holding the ball too long. There was one near pick, but that wasn’t a bad throw, should’ve been flagged for DPI (the early drive 3rd down to Rudolph).

He was accurate downfield. He was great on 3rd down and had a perfectly placed red zone TD. His numbers would’ve been better if Bisi had adjusted better to the 3rd down slant, and/or if Hollins had done a better job at the catch point on the deep shot. Throw in Thielen’s fumble and his drop early on and it seemed Cousins was carrying his receivers, not the other way around.

The OL was pretty good in pass protection but some of that was down to Cousins getting the ball out in time. 

The biggest fault of the offense was that they didn’t let Cousins throw it more, especially on early downs. One play action deep shot on the last drive might’ve iced the win without going to OT (like it did in the first Lions game). I’m still more impressed with Kubiak than Stefanski, I think the scheme is a plus but the playcalling is hit and miss. 

I’m officially at the point where I think that anyone still complaining about Cousins’ contract doesn’t understand what they’re watching. He’s playing like a franchise QB — not flawless, not elite, and not a Hall of Famer, but definitely worth paying market rate for. 

Edited by Krauser
  • Like 7

On 2020-01-02 at 6:20 AM, CriminalMind said:

The list of QBs i would trust include: AR, Brady, Mahomes, Wilson, Brees

3 old surefire Hall of Famers, a guy in his prime who’s basically a slam dunk for the Hall, and a league MVP on his rookie deal.

Two of those QBs lost this weekend, despite having game winning drive opportunities. 

On 2020-01-02 at 7:31 AM, SemperFeist said:

Lamar Jackson, Matt Ryan, DeShaun Watson, Carson Wentz. Even Dak Prescot has done it plenty of times. Hell, I’d put Josh Allen on this list, and I’m not even a big Allen fan. But I can’t deny that the guy makes plays when his team needs them most. 

Jackson has been amazing this year but he lost his only playoff game so far, at home to a Chargers defense that played 6-7 DBs on every snap. 

Ryan was 1-4 in the playoffs entering his age 31 season (the same age as Cousins is now). He had a great year with Shanahan in 2016 and is now 4-6 lifetime.

Watson is really good and played well to beat the Bills, bringing his playoff record up to 1-1. Even so, he needed some good luck that 2 free blitzers bounced off him simultaneously (which would’ve been his 8th sack of the game) to pull that win out.

Wentz costs $33M AAV and has never played in a playoff game until today, when he lasted for 10 minutes, went 1/4 for 3 yards, and took the L.

Prescott is 1-2 in the playoffs thanks to a win over a Seahawks team last year that beat themselves by running the ball instead of letting Wilson throw. He also lost as a 1 seed at home to a Packers team with a terrible secondary.

Allen (seriously?) is 0-1 in the playoffs and was mediocre as a passer vs Houston.

I'm just thrilled that the talking heads can now STFU about the Kirk can't hack it under pressure stuff. Weather it was/is true or not, it was sucking so much oxygen out of every discussion  about the the Vikings, and driving me mad. I'm also happy for Kirk, I'm sure it was driving him mad too. Sometimes talk that can become a self=fulfilling prophesy,; it was starting to feel that way. 

• Like 1

I’m just happy to see Cousins overcome adversity. Rise above criticism. Keep coming back. I saw a QB today well worth market rate, to use Krauser’s terminology. I’d much rather have Cousins at this point than an unknown. Draft a replacement, sure, but ride with Cousins for 3-4 more years. He has earned it in my eyes and only appears to be getting better. 

My one quibble is I’d like to see him take command of audibles more. There are a couple cringe worthy plays where it seems obvious where the play is going and the defensive adjustment that is happening. Would love to see him take the elite step we see from the upper echelon of QBs. Give him some latitude, especially early next season to change plays when he sees something. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, sledgehammer said:

I'm just thrilled that the talking heads can now STFU about the Kirk can't hack it under pressure stuff. Weather it was/is true or not, it was sucking so much oxygen out of every discussion  about the the Vikings, and driving me mad. I'm also happy for Kirk, I'm sure it was driving him mad too. Sometimes talk that can become a self=fulfilling prophesy,; it was starting to feel that way. 

One game doesn’t change the narrative, but he has to start somewhere. He has to show up next week now.