The 2018 Kirk Cousins Megathread

Heimdallr

I never said that the Vikings should move on from Cousins immediately. Everyone knows that he’ll be the quarterback for 2020. My point, and many others, is that he’s not worth a second contract. And that it’s time to move on from the 3 year Super Bowl window with Cousins and move on to planning for the next phase of Vikings football.

If 2019 doesn’t end with a deep playoff run, then 2020 should be seen as a transition year. Moves should be made for the long term, not for one final run with Cousins. This team should focus on being aggressive in obtaining a QB in the draft that you believe is the QBOTF instead of drafting a player who may offer a more immediate impact. They should look at cutting or trading some aging veterans in order to free up their cap situation, allowing them to re-sign guys who’ll help them longer term, and to sign some free agents who’ll do the same. 

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I never said that the Vikings should move on from Cousins immediately. Everyone knows that he’ll be the quarterback for 2020. My point, and many others, is that he’s not worth a second contract. And that it’s time to move on from the 3 year Super Bowl window with Cousins and move on to planning for the next phase of Vikings football.

If 2019 doesn’t end with a deep playoff run, then 2020 should be seen as a transition year. Moves should be made for the long term, not for one final run with Cousins. This team should focus on being aggressive in obtaining a QB in the draft that you believe is the QBOTF instead of drafting a player who may offer a more immediate impact. They should look at cutting or trading some aging veterans in order to free up their cap situation, allowing them to re-sign guys who’ll help them longer term, and to sign some free agents who’ll do the same. 

Are you also thinking that they should move on from Spielman? I can't remember. That's not a bad plan but I think it'd be tough for the current leadership to look too far into the future unless they are confident of their job security

2 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

I agree with your assessment.  

I think it’d be the smartest thing to grab a QB in this draft to learn behind Cousins for a year, but there are only a few I think are even remotely worth that pick.  Any idea what it may take to trade up for Tua?

If next year is a transition year, then hopefully we will be bad enough to grab one of the top QBs. 

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

It's been hinted that Tua may not even declare for the draft.  

Well....

Does he come out despite being hurt for a good chunk of the season and see what happens

-OR-

Does he stay for his senior year knowing that if he gets hurt again, his stock is going to tank like a tank in a fish tank made from an old tank.

• Like 1

With all this talk about Tua, if you guys have your heart set on a QB with a newly replaced hip, I'm available.

As far as Spielman is concerned, I wouldn't even dream of replacing him.  He has put together one of the best rosters in the league.  If you want to say he hasn't found a QB yet, I would counter by saying that Teddy would have been a good one.  Other than that, what would you have done if you were the GM and were put in the almost annual need for a QB?  They don't grow on trees.  The Vikings have had a lot of bad luck when it comes to the most important position on the field, and I think both Rick Spielman and Mike Zimmer have done a good job in spite of the bad hands they have been dealt with their QBs.  Give them time and they will get us to the promised land. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

With all this talk about Tua, if you guys have your heart set on a QB with a newly replaced hip, I'm available.

As far as Spielman is concerned, I wouldn't even dream of replacing him.  He has put together one of the best rosters in the league.  If you want to say he hasn't found a QB yet, I would counter by saying that Teddy would have been a good one.  Other than that, what would you have done if you were the GM and were put in the almost annual need for a QB?  They don't grow on trees.  The Vikings have had a lot of bad luck when it comes to the most important position on the field, and I think both Rick Spielman and Mike Zimmer have done a good job in spite of the bad hands they have been dealt with their QBs.  Give them time and they will get us to the promised land. 

I wouldn’t have traded a first rounder for Bradford.  

I also was one of those people who would have retained Keenum and/or resigned Bridgewater back before signing Cousins.  While using an early pick on a QB as well. 

But that’s what I would have done.  Cousins has played pretty good this year, against bad teams, and pretty average to bad against good one.  But not one time would I have ever chosen to be latched onto Cousins for the three years that he’s here.  

It’s here now though and there’s no use in getting  riled up.  If he can win a couple playoff games, and potentially hedge us a place in the Super Bowl (given his track record and how long he has been in the league; the amount of chances he’s given; the team built around him; his consistent showings against good to great teams - his leash has shortened and for good reason. That’s not a franchise QB and it shouldn’t be acceptable), this is the only way that extension talks should EVER be suggested.  Get us close to, or in a championship and these words will lose some of their value as I would have been proven wrong.  However, if we go out and wet the bed against New Orleans, I see next year being his last one.  

Edited by Torchezim

27 minutes ago, Torchezim said:

However, if we go out and wet the bed against New Orleans, I see next year being his last one.  

Oh, I have no doubt that would be the case...I just don't see that happening.  I still think the game is gonna be closer than most seem to think.  This is a battle between 2 coaches who know each other better than probably most playoff opponents.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Torchezim said:

I wouldn’t have traded a first rounder for Bradford.  

I also was one of those people who would have retained Keenum and/or resigned Bridgewater back before signing Cousins.  While using an early pick on a QB as well. 

But that’s what I would have done.  Cousins has played pretty good this year, against bad teams, and pretty average to bad against good one.  But not one time would I have ever chosen to be latched onto Cousins for the three years that he’s here.  

It’s here now though and there’s no use in getting  riled up.  If he can win a couple playoff games, and potentially hedge us a place in the Super Bowl (given his track record and how long he has been in the league; the amount of chances he’s given; the team built around him; his consistent showings against good to great teams - his leash has shortened and for good reason. That’s not a franchise QB and it shouldn’t be acceptable), this is the only way that extension talks should EVER be suggested.  Get us close to, or in a championship and these words will lose some of their value as I would have been proven wrong.  However, if we go out and wet the bed against New Orleans, I see next year being his last one.  

I will second most of that.  I would add to the list of what I would have done if I was a GM put in that position:

I would have put a much stronger emphasis on building up the offensive line. That would have made my QBs looks a ton better and given my young/inexperienced QBs the best chance to grow and succeed. I would have been looking to bring in more young QBs to try and develop behind that line. I would not have entered a season with backups like Sean Mannion or Shaun Hill. I would be using that roster spot to try and develop a QB. I would have planned to use a draft pick every year on a QB until I found the right one. I may have carried four QBs on the roster so I would have three years to evaluate the young QB that I brought in each year before I had to cycle him out for a new young QB or promote him to the starting job if things went well. I would not have used a couple fifth round picks on kickers.

Edited by Cearbhall
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

I would counter by saying that Teddy would have been a good one.  Other than that, what would you have done if you were the GM and were put in the almost annual need for a QB?

But the decision to let Bridgewater leave also falls on Spielman. Either they didn’t think Bridgewater was the guy and it was a failed player evaluation, or they let a good QB leave because of an injury that doesn’t seem to have affected Bridgewater much, which also falls under the failed evaluation category. 

And you make your own luck in the NFL, especially with the QB. Kansas City, Philadelphia, Buffalo and Houston are all playoff teams that got their QB by being aggressive. The Vikings need to do the same. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

But the decision to let Bridgewater leave also falls on Spielman. Either they didn’t think Bridgewater was the guy and it was a failed player evaluation, or they let a good QB leave because of an injury that doesn’t seem to have affected Bridgewater much, which also falls under the failed evaluation category. 

And you make your own luck in the NFL, especially with the QB. Kansas City, Philadelphia, Buffalo and Houston are all playoff teams that got their QB by being aggressive. The Vikings need to do the same. 

I can't disagree with much of this, even though we might disagree on the certain circumstances at the time.  I would love for the Vikings to identify a guy and be aggressive in the draft to get him.  They thought they did with Teddy (and did move up to get him), but the career-threatening injury stopped that in their tracks, unlike the teams you mentioned.  Their Qbs had some injuries as well, but none were of the severe nature that Teddy's did.  

Preferably, I'd still like them to identify a guy in this draft that they like and get him (even if it's in the 2nd round), but if not this year, definitely that has to be the plan for 2021 (whether that's Fields or someone else, as they likely won't be in play for Trevor).  

I can’t even say that the team was overly aggressive and targeted “their guy” when it came to Bridgewater. Obviously they liked him, but they still played the wait and see game with him. If he was “their guy”!they would have taken him at 8. Even after they passed on him at 8 they waited to see what Cleveland did at 22. 

Trading up to 32 to draft Bridgewater appeared more of a “we need to trade up and draft a QB before they’re all gone” situation, than a “Teddy is our guy and we’re going to go get him” situation. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

I can't disagree with much of this, even though we might disagree on the certain circumstances at the time.  I would love for the Vikings to identify a guy and be aggressive in the draft to get him.  They thought they did with Teddy (and did move up to get him), but the career-threatening injury stopped that in their tracks, unlike the teams you mentioned.  Their Qbs had some injuries as well, but none were of the severe nature that Teddy's did.  

Preferably, I'd still like them to identify a guy in this draft that they like and get him (even if it's in the 2nd round), but if not this year, definitely that has to be the plan for 2021 (whether that's Fields or someone else, as they likely won't be in play for Trevor).  

I have hope.