Giants sign Nate Solder

49erurtaza

Just now, Dr.O said:

Like this move for them, should still invest a few picks in the draft on OL though but definitely a good start

Assuming Giants fans are correct and Ereck Flowers is moving to RT, I'd say they need to draft a starting guard day two and have John Greco and John Jerry compete for the other starting guard spot.

1 hour ago, game3525 said:

Smart move. 

It reminds me what the Chargers did with Okung. Yes, it is an overpay, but Soldier is a good left tackle and will make a world of a difference if he is healthy. 

After he busted hard in DEN Okung looked done.  He is a run game liability but he bounced back in a huge way last year in 2017.   I will totally own that I didn’t see that coming.  He was kind enough to get us a late 3rd comp pick back though so there was a silver lining lol.  

All of which to say that paying for a 30 year old LT is iffy that he can keep it going.   But it’s not unheard of.   The big risk is injury robbing them of the agility / range they need to keep their level of play on an island.  If they can avoid that we certainly do see them able to keep playing.    I think it’s a huge risk and for a team like DEN it’s not worth it as it doesn’t make enough of a diff at that price we are too weak elsewhere to be a true contender.   For a true contender that needs a LT it makes a ton of sense.   I just don’t know if the Gmen are really in that position though.  

1 hour ago, Crickett said:

Assuming Giants fans are correct and Ereck Flowers is moving to RT, I'd say they need to draft a starting guard day two and have John Greco and John Jerry compete for the other starting guard spot.

We are lucky in that our 2nd round pick is in prime position to take a good interior lineman. Wynn, Hernandez, Price are all good prospects and at least one should be available. 

2 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Perhaps, but Danny Amendola merely got a 2 year, $12M deal from the Phins. That's about right for him and something the Patriots could've easily afforded.

Pats are supposed to pay the 5th receiving target on the totem pole $6M a year? Yeah sorry, pass. 

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

After he busted hard in DEN Okung looked done.  He is a run game liability but he bounced back in a huge way last year in 2017.   I will totally own that I didn’t see that coming.  He was kind enough to get us a late 3rd comp pick back though so there was a silver lining lol.  

All of which to say that paying for a 30 year old LT is iffy that he can keep it going.   But it’s not unheard of.   The big risk is injury robbing them of the agility / range they need to keep their level of play on an island.  If they can avoid that we certainly do see them able to keep playing.    I think it’s a huge risk and for a team like DEN it’s not worth it as it doesn’t make enough of a diff at that price we are too weak elsewhere to be a true contender.   For a true contender that needs a LT it makes a ton of sense.   I just don’t know if the Gmen are really in that position though.  

I see what your saying.

I don't think NY is going to be a serious contender. But if they are going to stick with Eli at QB, then they have got to address the LT spot.

20 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Pats are supposed to pay the 5th receiving target on the totem pole $6M a year? Yeah sorry, pass. 

At worst he was 4th (don't know who else you had ahead of him other than Gronk, Cooks, and Edelman), and that's assuming Edelman comes back the same. But ok.

1 minute ago, TheKillerNacho said:

At worst he was 4th (don't know who else you had ahead of him other than Gronk, Cooks, and Edelman), and that's assuming Edelman comes back the same. But ok.

He was where he was last season because of injuries to Hogan and Edelman. 

If healthy (and that includes his own because he is injury prone) he’s the 5th receiving option. Even if you want to call him 4th, $6M/year is too steep at his age and with his usage limitations.

4 minutes ago, game3525 said:

I see what your saying.

I don't think NY is going to be a serious contender. But if they are going to stick with Eli at QB, then they have got to address the LT spot.

Yeah, I get that.

I would point out the optimism ppl see with Whitworth/Okung/etc. in maintaining their play should be balanced with the examples like Joe Thomas - he played at an amazing level and only had a small amount of decline before his triceps injury - but once it happened, boom, he's done.   The toll was too much to continue.   When the older trench guy gets hurt, it's often the end.   That's the risk with Solder.    It's less whether or not he gradually declines - usually, they are OK, OK, OK...then boom, done.   

Still, LT is so hard to replace I get it.  And like I said, it's not unheard of to maintain your level of play even beyond 30.  But the risk is certainly high.

1 hour ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Gronk, Edelman, Cooks (These are obvious). White ( third down backs get lots of play under the B.B./McDaniels offense). Hogan (if healthy he is opposite Cooks with Edelman in the slot). Then possibly Mitchell as Cooks/Hogan’s backup  

If all are healthy, Dola is likely the seventh man in priority. As the backup slot receiver. 

Archived