Joe Thomas Retiring

TitanLegend

5 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

I still remember seeing him getting off the fishing boat to be told he was drafted #3 overall.  Biggest day of his life to that point and he went fishing instead of going to New York.  Lol

He saw it as a job, and he was damn good at it. But little things like this, as well as choosing to stay in Cleveland rather than pursue a championship, that show how he didn't necessarily have a passion for the love of the game and personal legacy. Kudos to him for being as good as he was in spite of that.

Real talk about Joe Thomas

one of our mods in the browns forum was dying of cancer (RIP crakburn).  he really wanted to meet a browns player.  a bunch of forum members on this here very forum made it happen.  turns out the player was Joe Thomas.  he agreed, and if i remember correclty, he only came as long as no media found out

this dude was a pillar of the community, loved cleveland, and was an amazing player.  by far best browns pick ive ever seen.

1 minute ago, showtime said:

I'm not really hedging either way, but that certainly doesn't make @El ramster a hater.  All of the LT's he listed are certainly among the greatest ever and here's the thing - Jonathan Ogden, Orlando Pace and Walter Jones all played in the league at the same time and there is only one LT that can make it on the first team all-pro team.  For the majority of his career, Joe Thomas has been the best LT in the league and there certainly weren't two other LT's during the bulk of his playing time that were near the caliber of Walter Jones or Jonathan Ogden for him to compete against.  A guy like Tyron Smith is fantastic, for example, but he hasn't been in the league for a good portion of Thomas' career.

na it does.  especially the "a ton of other guys" part.  

Definitely in the argument for top 3 all time. But that conversation will always be a mess. Hard to compare guys like Ogden and Pace, all the way back to Munoz. What with the changes to the game stylistically, physical advancements, rule changes.

I don’t think anyone will argue that he’s been the best LT of the 2000’s (love you Walter Jones). A safer statement: He’s top 5, at worst. 

12 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

I still remember seeing him getting off the fishing boat to be told he was drafted #3 overall.  Biggest day of his life to that point and he went fishing instead of going to New York.  Lol

I vividly remember that too. Doesn't feel like it's been 11 years.

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

If people keep dangling that carrot in front of Browns' fans faces by bashing JT, we're going to see a mass banning of fans here. You've all been warned.

Easy, please...

1 minute ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Yep not gonna lie I am irrevocably biased because of the Crackburn stuff. Total and undisputed class. Man has my eternal respect for that.

All of us long time guys are incredibly biased to JT the person, if not the football player, for what he did for crak.  

As far as Joe Thomas as a player, he's obviously a hall-of-famer and he will go down as one of the best offensive linemen ever.  I may be wrong, but I don't believe Joe Thomas has ever played in a postseason game, which is mind-blowing.  I've always said, I admire Thomas for never leaving the Browns even though those teams have been so terrible.  The guy can take a lot of pride in playing on one team his entire career in front of some of the most loyal fans in all of sports.

Just now, EliteTexan80 said:

Easy, please...

I actually wasn't even close to talking about myself. I'm talking on behalf of about half of the Browns forum. If you don't believe me, go re-read the Crackburn thread.

Man, I'm heartbroken. I would have loved nothing more for Joe to have been around when the team started to turn things around. Amazing player and an even better person.

Enjoy retirement, Joe. We'll miss ya.

Archived