Random Raider Stuff

RaidersAreOne

26 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

Irvin? I don't remember one snap of him in a 3-point stance. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes a situational pass rusher with Carradine starting.

I'd much rather see MEJ as a base end. He's best at 4-3 DE anyways.

I know everything is pointing towards him being a primary pass rusher. I still think Irvin will play SAM, in the mold of how Anthony Barr plays it in Minnesota. Maybe a more aggressive version. Whitehead will MOST DEFINITELY be a WLB and I have to think Bowman is going to be re-signed.  

38 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes a situational pass rusher with Carradine starting.

That is what I was getting at above when I said...

3 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

...he won't have to do it much if we have a decent rotation, use a bunch of nickel like most teams do these days and he is the primary passing down rusher opposite Mack.

Now whether Carrdine starts is far off. We could draft a DE or Mario could beat him out. I'm just glad we brought someone in

22 minutes ago, OG_C2X said:

I know everything is pointing towards him being a primary pass rusher. I still think Irvin will play SAM, in the mold of how Anthony Barr plays it in Minnesota. Maybe a more aggressive version. Whitehead will MOST DEFINITELY be a WLB and I have to think Bowman is going to be re-signed.  

I actually think this is where Irvin provides the most every down value. He plays with high awareness and can run and chase as good or better than most linebackers in the league. I’d also like to see him blitz through the A-gap more often.

Unfortunately, I don’t think this scenerio is in the cards for him next season.

14 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

I actually think this is where Irvin provides the most every down value. He plays with high awareness and can run and chase as good or better than most linebackers in the league. I’d also like to see him blitz through the A-gap more often.

Unfortunately, I don’t think this scenerio is in the cards for him next season.

Yup. Mainly because he doesn't want to do it.

Love how Bruce Irvin will be a DE. He should have never been dropping back in coverage, to begin with. Also, hate seeing Mack drop into coverage the few times he does. When Irvin was just asked to rush the passer after the change at DC he was really good. No reason why we shouldn't see a 10 sack season for him. About time we have a coaching staff using the players like how they should be used.

Random thought of the night. If we can make a playoff birth, or even next year or beyond. Know one is going know how to matchup against the Ravens or Steelers more than Paul Guenther. Dude did it for four years and was successful.  Cool tool to have in you're tool belt. 

On the flip side, if he continues his success and we do well, he may get head coaching offers soon. He was already being talked about as dark horse candidate for the Bengals job last year.

2 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

Love how Bruce Irvin will be a DE. He should have never been dropping back in coverage, to begin with. Also, hate seeing Mack drop into coverage the few times he does. When Irvin was just asked to rush the passer after the change at DC he was really good. No reason why we shouldn't see a 10 sack season for him. About time we have a coaching staff using the players like how they should be used.

mack.0.gif

6 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I'd much rather see MEJ as a base end. He's best at 4-3 DE anyways.

He never played in a true 4-3 with us. When he played DE in the base, he had Irvin closing the line next to him. In Guenther's scheme, the SAM would be off the line and the SE is the edge guy. Maybe MEJ can do it but it's a different role.

I still think they're going to ask him to be around 290 and play the Geno Atkins role. Anyway, they'll play a lot of nickel with Mack and Irvin at DE.

8 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

Irvin? I don't remember one snap of him in a 3-point stance. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes a situational pass rusher with Carradine starting.

It is not about the 3 point stance...it is about gap assigment...he will be the RDE 7-9tech

9 hours ago, oakdb36 said:

He never played in a true 4-3 with us. When he played DE in the base, he had Irvin closing the line next to him. In Guenther's scheme, the SAM would be off the line and the SE is the edge guy. Maybe MEJ can do it but it's a different role.

I still think they're going to ask him to be around 290 and play the Geno Atkins role. Anyway, they'll play a lot of nickel with Mack and Irvin at DE.

It's easy to slot Guenther into the 4-3, I have even fallen into it because it's makes sense, but that was Lewis' defensive scheme. Guenther has said that just because the Bengals ran a system doesn't mean that is what he is going to run. He said that they will put the players they have in the best position to succeed.

Now this could be coach talk, keeping the cards close to the vest if we are to take that at face value but I do put some stock in us being a hybrid defense of some kind. I don't think any of us will know til the first preseason games and that may not even be a full showing. I believe that because they are still assembling the roster.

1 hour ago, NightTrainLane said:

It's easy to slot Guenther into the 4-3, I have even fallen into it because it's makes sense, but that was Lewis' defensive scheme. Guenther has said that just because the Bengals ran a system doesn't mean that is what he is going to run. He said that they will put the players they have in the best position to succeed.

Now this could be coach talk, keeping the cards close to the vest if we are to take that at face value but I do put some stock in us being a hybrid defense of some kind. I don't think any of us will know til the first preseason games and that may not even be a full showing. I believe that because they are still assembling the roster.

But Guenther had been with the Bengals since 2005. I imagine Marvin Lewis has had a big impact on Guenther's philosophy on defense. I also believe Gruden will have his input on the defense and what he wants to see. Here's Gruden talking about Zimmer's double A-gap pressure look which Guenther also ran in Cincinnati:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hv22Qq-e5Y

1 hour ago, Rich7sena said:

But Guenther had been with the Bengals since 2005. I imagine Marvin Lewis has had a big impact on Guenther's philosophy on defense. I also believe Gruden will have his input on the defense and what he wants to see. Here's Gruden talking about Zimmer's double A-gap pressure look which Guenther also ran in Cincinnati:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hv22Qq-e5Y

Yes, and those things are the obvious tells for what we could run as well. EXCEPT what if we don't have the right personal to run it or to run it the way Cinny and Minny did/do. You would think they would adjust it so that...

3 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

the players they have will be in the best position to succeed.

You never know. Guenther may have wrinkles or different ideas for the 4-3 that Lewis didn't want to try or like you said, Gruden will have insights that shift some things around form his time studying.

Archived