This Ain't Raider Talk Baby!

RaidersAreOne

3 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Yes the gas prices have zero to do with the war. Don’t listen to the media worth a damn. 

Gas being sold today is from oil that was bought before anything happened.  It is all companies that always try to pass on the increase in costs to the customers.  Things like food and gas are going to be bought no matter what and that allows them to increase prices faster and higher.  This is also why when demand drops a little you can get a big price drop.  Gas prices never drop as fast or as far as oil though while price increase will.

31 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

Gas being sold today is from oil that was bought before anything happened.  It is all companies that always try to pass on the increase in costs to the customers.  Things like food and gas are going to be bought no matter what and that allows them to increase prices faster and higher.  This is also why when demand drops a little you can get a big price drop.  Gas prices never drop as fast or as far as oil though while price increase will.

Yea cause during covid gas was rock bottom when everyone was inside. Gas companies actually lost $ then

18 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Yea cause during covid gas was rock bottom when everyone was inside. Gas companies actually lost $ then

Was taking screen shots of barrels at -35 per bbl and was frantically talking to my friend with property to see if we could hide it and sell it back in a year. lol 

In 2015 I bought my Prius C when it was 28 a barrel because I knew it would go up. Told my friend to sell his oil stocks around 120-150 and barrel. Don't know if he listened or remembered as I told him that months ago. Things ALWAYS cycle no matter how many say 'this time it's different' but it isn't. So expect a recession just like the 2008 spike with oil. Housing is even worse and it was about 18 months before a 'bottom' which could be that fast again. Could be 3 years becasue they kicked the can down the road. I felt the air needed out in 2012 but FED QE to infinity and beyond... lol

Well if it is different this time it's because we've printed so much money that we filled the 'bubble' with shredded dollar bills. lol

If I didn't laff, I'd cry.  Good news is I made a LOT of money from 2009-2012 in markets as knives fells and bubbles popped. Just have to hit 2 out of 5 and it can be life changing. My problem is an addictive personality so I keep pushing all my chips back in. Currently I'm playing options in some beaten down biotechs. NOT SMART but exciting. 😁 I can always make (and lose) more money. 

1 hour ago, G said:

Was taking screen shots of barrels at -35 per bbl and was frantically talking to my friend with property to see if we could hide it and sell it back in a year. lol 

In 2015 I bought my Prius C when it was 28 a barrel because I knew it would go up. Told my friend to sell his oil stocks around 120-150 and barrel. Don't know if he listened or remembered as I told him that months ago. Things ALWAYS cycle no matter how many say 'this time it's different' but it isn't. So expect a recession just like the 2008 spike with oil. Housing is even worse and it was about 18 months before a 'bottom' which could be that fast again. Could be 3 years becasue they kicked the can down the road. I felt the air needed out in 2012 but FED QE to infinity and beyond... lol

Well if it is different this time it's because we've printed so much money that we filled the 'bubble' with shredded dollar bills. lol

If I didn't laff, I'd cry.  Good news is I made a LOT of money from 2009-2012 in markets as knives fells and bubbles popped. Just have to hit 2 out of 5 and it can be life changing. My problem is an addictive personality so I keep pushing all my chips back in. Currently I'm playing options in some beaten down biotechs. NOT SMART but exciting. 😁 I can always make (and lose) more money. 

Interesting. I’m very interested in stocks now very interested. Get some stuff for the kids to inherit when I go.

I just bought a v8 tundra last weekend 🤦🏽‍♂️

4 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Gas prices are much more about world events then presidents.  Presidents can affect prices but not nearly as much as world events.  Whether we tap our own supply now is good and bad depending on circumstances and the time period.  If you support alternative energy then high oil prices are a good thing.  If we leave our supplies untapped and the world uses up their supplies while it is cheap it makes us more independent and will control the price in the future but it still hurts now.  Do you want instant gratification or do you want to play the long game?  To say it is on the president because prices have gone up after the last president is just ignoring the economy opening back up and geo political issues.  It might have gone up more but no matter who the president was the prices where going to go up.

13 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Aren’t we one of the biggest oil producers in the world. This imo is just price gouging and like mentioned above it’s being blamed on the war. 

13 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Yes the gas prices have zero to do with the war. Don’t listen to the media worth a damn. 

I'm not saying gas prices have to do with the war. I'm saying we live cushy little lives where we complain about gas prices being to high, while in Ukraine people have real problems like losing their communities and loved ones.

Again perspective. 

• Like 2

On 3/9/2022 at 8:34 PM, NCOUGHMAN said:

Interesting. I’m very interested in stocks now very interested. Get some stuff for the kids to inherit when I go.

I just bought a v8 tundra last weekend 🤦🏽‍♂️

Sweet...Instead of inherit think about my experience...My Grandpa bought me 500.00 worth of stocks (5 companies) when I was born in 1971. I sold many of them between 16-20 years old. One of them was 100 shares of PPG for a buck in 1971. It split 2 for 1 and became 200 shares, then again 400 shares then again for 800 and I sold that one for over 50,000 1989/1990. It split again which had I held wold be 1600 shares. It's 52 week high was just under 183. So about 292,000 had I sold at the top which nobody does. lol

It made me pay attention to 'money' as I looked at the stock quotes in the newspaper daily. I got quarterly dividends which some I kept and some I reinvested back in some of my other stocks. So by 6th grade my teacher had us do a pretend business and I did a tow truck company that I explained that I listed, sold shares to the public and paid dividend. It floored my teacher I knew so much about it. So I always recommend any parent buy stocks for their kids so they get involved and pay attention to how things work.. It doesn't always work out as I also had Kmart and luckily sold it before going belly up. In the Great Recession I bought a few thousand shares of a new drilling style called 'fracking' with a company listed as KOG for around .15 They survived and later got taken out by another company but I sold in .30.45 cent range. The shares hit 15 bucks on the takeover but it was shares of the new company. That company went bankrupt so if people don't actively pay attention they could lose their excellent gains.

I've had many many more experiences including losing huge gains in moments but not freaking out and it has forever changed how I look at money. Been losing way too much since playing with options so it's not always a good thing. lol

Great lesson for kids and if it's 'theirs' where they can move it around but not cash it out, I'd say a valuable lesson/investment win or lose. When you're young you can recover from mistakes and if you have 5 and hit one big it can cover the other loses. Good Luck 

Edit: I was looking at DIDI today under 2 bucks as it's China's 'Uber/Lyft' but I'm thinking they might go after Taiwan which would make investing in Chinese companies tricky. 

Currently I'm in biotech TEVA  and BHC expecting events soon and Fannie and Freddie preferred shares which is NUTZZZ but I'm not normal. lol 

Edited by G

On 3/9/2022 at 11:02 PM, drfrey13 said:

Gas prices are much more about world events then presidents.  Presidents can affect prices but not nearly as much as world events.  Whether we tap our own supply now is good and bad depending on circumstances and the time period.  If you support alternative energy then high oil prices are a good thing.  If we leave our supplies untapped and the world uses up their supplies while it is cheap it makes us more independent and will control the price in the future but it still hurts now.  Do you want instant gratification or do you want to play the long game?  To say it is on the president because prices have gone up after the last president is just ignoring the economy opening back up and geo political issues.  It might have gone up more but no matter who the president was the prices where going to go up.

Trump and Biden administrations spent trillions the past two years so both get inflation blame. Bush was responsible for the housing bubble after the dot com bubble (FED Greenspan even more so keeping rate low after tech collapse) but Clinton allowed the banks to become too big to fail by repealing Glass - Steagall. Both parties are usually to blame for current messes. FED should have raised rates in 2012 but no one wanted to slow the momo. Once you get out of either 'tribe' you can see the forest not being stuck in the trees. Don't listen to what either says but what they do. 

Edit: Baseball is back?!? Did it go somewhere? lol 

Edited by G

1 hour ago, G said:

Trump and Biden administrations spent trillions the past two years so both get inflation blame. Bush was responsible for the housing bubble after the dot com bubble (FED Greenspan even more so keeping rate low after tech collapse) but Clinton allowed the banks to become too big to fail by repealing Glass - Steagall. Both parties are usually to blame for current messes. FED should have raised rates in 2012 but no one wanted to slow the momo. Once you get out of either 'tribe' you can see the forest not being stuck in the trees. Don't listen to what either says but what they do. 

Edit: Baseball is back?!? Did it go somewhere? lol 

That is why I loved that I studied Econ in college.  It is much easier when you remove feelings, apply logic, and are not afraid to admit you got something wrong.

"To find yourself, think for yourself." Socrates

• Like 1

13 hours ago, G said:

Sweet...Instead of inherit think about my experience...My Grandpa bought me 500.00 worth of stocks (5 companies) when I was born in 1971. I sold many of them between 16-20 years old. One of them was 100 shares of PPG for a buck in 1971. It split 2 for 1 and became 200 shares, then again 400 shares then again for 800 and I sold that one for over 50,000 1989/1990. It split again which had I held wold be 1600 shares. It's 52 week high was just under 183. So about 292,000 had I sold at the top which nobody does. lol

It made me pay attention to 'money' as I looked at the stock quotes in the newspaper daily. I got quarterly dividends which some I kept and some I reinvested back in some of my other stocks. So by 6th grade my teacher had us do a pretend business and I did a tow truck company that I explained that I listed, sold shares to the public and paid dividend. It floored my teacher I knew so much about it. So I always recommend any parent buy stocks for their kids so they get involved and pay attention to how things work.. It doesn't always work out as I also had Kmart and luckily sold it before going belly up. In the Great Recession I bought a few thousand shares of a new drilling style called 'fracking' with a company listed as KOG for around .15 They survived and later got taken out by another company but I sold in .30.45 cent range. The shares hit 15 bucks on the takeover but it was shares of the new company. That company went bankrupt so if people don't actively pay attention they could lose their excellent gains.

I've had many many more experiences including losing huge gains in moments but not freaking out and it has forever changed how I look at money. Been losing way too much since playing with options so it's not always a good thing. lol

Great lesson for kids and if it's 'theirs' where they can move it around but not cash it out, I'd say a valuable lesson/investment win or lose. When you're young you can recover from mistakes and if you have 5 and hit one big it can cover the other loses. Good Luck 

Edit: I was looking at DIDI today under 2 bucks as it's China's 'Uber/Lyft' but I'm thinking they might go after Taiwan which would make investing in Chinese companies tricky. 

Currently I'm in biotech TEVA  and BHC expecting events soon and Fannie and Freddie preferred shares which is NUTZZZ but I'm not normal. lol 

That’s hella cool I basically wanna get stock like Tesla, apple, Amazon, Nike and just sit on it for 10 years for my son and 20 years for my daughter then give them access to it and let them play with it. 

• Like 1