Can the Giants seriously pass on a QB at 2??!!

brownie man

What will the Giants end up doing?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. What will the Giants do?

• Stay at 2 and select their young Franchise QB
    • Stay at 2 and draft Barkley or Nelson to go along with their 37 year old declining QB
    • Trade down and fill holes and build for the future while filling the needs of the present

They have to take a QB. Although none of these guys seem like a sure thing. But with the way the recent drafts have turned out with QBs, you gotta take you chances...

The idea of a Barkley/OBJ/Engram trio though is just......O.o

18 hours ago, Crickett said:

The last two last miss QB prospects were Andrew Luck and Matt Stafford.  If you're going to wait for a can't miss prospect, you're going to be waiting for a long time.  The last time we've had two can't miss prospects at quarterback in the same draft was never.

I agree with this, but if you’re drafting at #2 you have to be drafting with the conviction and belief he will be a top 10 QB. Not drafting him because they are best in the class and fills a need. You can’t use the measurement of “is he sure fire?” If not, pass.

15 hours ago, Malik said:

I think one of the biggest disparities between whether or not the Giants should draft a QB is how close people think they are. I think people who don't want to draft a QB lean closer to the idea that the 2016 team is what this team really is as opposed to the 2017 team. I genuinely do not think this Giants team is good. I'm a Jets fan so I know a bad/mediocre team that overachieves in 1 season when I see one. I've held this position since Coughlin was fired. That 2016 fell into a soft schedule and get more wins than what their talent level, coaching, and execution really showed.

I don’t think this team won in 2016 because of the schedule. It wasn’t really overachieving. What you find is that there was a lack of balance on both squads. The 2016 team followed a similar trend to the 2915 team. 2015 team Eli and OBJ carried that team. Defense was subpar at best, but the offense was very good but the defense couldn’t force get stops when needed. In 2016 it flipped, offense was largely bad and the defenses was getting stopped. So 2015 and 2016 team were essentially the same, difference is that in one year we won the close games and in the other we lost. So it’s not really overachieving.

30 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Barkley/OBJ/Shepard/Engram is super exciting for a football fan in general, especially for a Giants fan. I want to see it happen. 

Throw in Lamar Jackson and...

It's a pretty tough call honestly. But if you think any of Darnold/Rosen/Allen are franchise guys and they are there for you to take, you can't pass on them. Trading JPP to draft Chubb would make zero sense to me though. The move that would make sense would be Barkley as he could step in and give them an elite running game and Manning another weapon.

37 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Throw in Lamar Jackson and...

I like Lamar Jackson a lot from his tape, but funnily enough seeing him throw in shorts pointed out a lot of the throwing deficiencies he has that others pointed out before. He is so incredibly gifted and would fit pretty well into Shurmur's offense. He needs time to sit and learn wherever he goes, hopefully learning from a QB "guru". Kinda funny how the Giants new staff pretty much checks all the boxes. We also hired the man who created a new offense just to make the most of Cam Newton's skills as our OC and QB coach. 

Something else I heard recently is that the Jets are enamored with Rosen. They wouldn't trade up to 3 if they didn't think they could get him there. Just food for thought. 

Can the Giants pass on a QB?

They can. It's their choice and they'll pick who they feel is the best fit and benefit for their team. 

Sure, a popular opinion is they need to draft a QB. Eli's past his prime now and they need their franchise of the future. Heck, I've thought that plenty during the offseason that it was a no-brainer that the Giants would and should pick QB at 2.

But here's the thing. The Giants know more than anybody Eli's level, and if their belief is he can still carry this team for another couple of years yet and they can draft another talent such as Saquon Barkley who would add another dimension to that offence, then they'll certainly do that.

If it was me, yeah I probably would draft a QB and pick up a Rosen or a Darnold because A) I'm not sure how long Eli's prime play has left and B) I don't when or if I'm going to be in this position in the draft again and most importantly C) I personally believe that more than one of them is going to succeed in the NFL.

But I'm not the Giants GM, Dave Gettleman is, and if he believes that the answer to A is a few years yet, he's not worried about B and he isn't convinced about C then yeah, get an impact player who you feel will benefit the team.

I was certainly convinced a few weeks ago that the G-Men should go QB. Now I would understand if they didn't.

On 3/24/2018 at 11:55 AM, Crickett said:

The last two last miss QB prospects were Andrew Luck and Matt Stafford.  If you're going to wait for a can't miss prospect, you're going to be waiting for a long time.  The last time we've had two can't miss prospects at quarterback in the same draft was never.

No one is saying they have to wait on a can't miss prospect....just that they shouldnt draft a player JUST to fill the need.   

If they like the player....sure.    If they arent that high on any of the QBs, why should they take one?   Especially if a team like Buffalo is offering a kings ransom to move up?   

You dont take a player in the top 5 you dont feel strongly about just to fill a need.   

If they like one of the QBs that are on the board when they pick....so be it.   

If they dont like any of the QBs, then they should draft a player they are higher on, or trade down....especially since I guarantee there will be multiple teams trying to trade up to 2 if the Giants are willing to move down.

Too many fans on here saying they should take a QB simply to take a QB.   Those same fans, in a few years, would be bashing the Giants if they drafted a bust at QB, claiming they shouldve traded down or something.    -_-

1 hour ago, minutemancl said:

Interesting. That is 2 reports that conflict the Jets attempted to get up to 1 and now 2. Meaning they have had 3 targeted all along. 

Would the Giants trade with the Jets though? Maybe why they never even bothered contacting them.

Not that I'm totally au fait on Jets-Giants matters. I'm sure if they received a massive offer they'd have listened.

Anything that Keeps Eli as the 5th best QB in the Division, I'm good with. ? Even if it has to be Barkley which would suck!

Just wish they hadn't signed Nate Soldier. I've enjoyed watching Eli look like a deer in headlights the past few seasons behind that putrid line.

If I was the guy running the Giants roster, I'd trade Beckham for the highest first round pick I could get.  Draft Chubb with 2, then draft the best available QB with the pick I got from trading Beckham.  Let the QB sit behind Eli until Eli retires, and then you've got a franchise pass rusher with a franchise QB and without the diva receiver who does more harm than good.  Sterling Shepherd and Evan Engram are more than enough receiving talent for this QB whenever Manning retires.

1 hour ago, HorizontoZenith said:

If I was the guy running the Giants roster, I'd trade Beckham for the highest first round pick I could get.  Draft Chubb with 2, then draft the best available QB with the pick I got from trading Beckham.  Let the QB sit behind Eli until Eli retires, and then you've got a franchise pass rusher with a franchise QB and without the diva receiver who does more harm than good.  Sterling Shepherd and Evan Engram are more than enough receiving talent for this QB whenever Manning retires.

Beckham is a class A numb skull, but he’s also a HOF caliber player.  You can’t just trade away HOF talent.  

Archived