CB Tramon Williams returning to GB - 2yr deal

deltarich87

Just now, SSG said:

He had his hands on the WR before taking a step backwards.  I'm not an expert but It looked like press man too me.  What do you think it was if not press?  I  doubt the plan was to let the WR get to the 3rd level before you think about putting a hand on him.  

It looks like off man. Take away the short throw by being there and then bail out. 

6 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

It looks like off man. Take away the short throw by being there and then bail out. 

Gonna have to agree to disagree.  Its pretty clear to me that it was press.  The other CB had his hands on his guy immediately and for the entirety of the play.   He certainly didn't bail.   Kearse was an additional 15 yards down the field because Tramon let him cruise by completely uncontested.  

3 minutes ago, SSG said:

Gonna have to agree to disagree.  Its pretty clear to me that it was press.  The other CB had his hands on his guy immediately and for the entirety of the play.   He certainly didn't bail.   Kearse was an additional 15 yards down the field because Tramon let him cruise by completely uncontested.  

Agree to disagree then. 

Regardless, we should all be hoping that Tramon is never abandoned like that again. He's not anywhere near good enough to be running that. 

On 3/24/2018 at 6:22 PM, Gopackgonerd said:

Wilkerson got close to 5 mil for 1 year, and his last two seasons were poor, practically the same deal for 1 year. Y'all are acting like he got 10 per year. It's not gonna break the bank + who's left on the market where we really need a boat load of cap space to obtain? 

It's that Wilkerson is much younger than Tramon and that Tramon played poorly for three years here before we let him walk.

20 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Agree to disagree then. 

Regardless, we should all be hoping that Tramon is never abandoned like that again. He's not anywhere near good enough to be running that. 

Fully expecting Tramon to be a complete dumpster fire this year.  Hoping I'm wrong.  Those cleveland seasons were less than inspiring, and that Cards defense was light years ahead of our infrastructure.  They actually set up well for a veteran corner to be successful given the other players and excellent pass rush. Cards had a borderline elite Defense with 3 genuine studs and a ton of good-great players.

Just now, skibrett15 said:

Fully expecting Tramon to be a complete dumpster fire this year.  Hoping I'm wrong.  Those cleveland seasons were less than inspiring, and that Cards defense was light years ahead of our infrastructure.  They actually set up well for a veteran corner to be successful given the other players and excellent pass rush. Cards had a borderline elite Defense with 3 genuine studs and a ton of good-great players.

I'd take Daniels, Mo, Clark, Matthews, Perry, Landry/Davenport over the Cardinals pass rush any day.

Their secondary was pretty awesome but Tramon played a ton of man, doesn't matter who surrounds you in that kind of coverage. 

Pettine has a blue print for how to successfully play Tramon, I think he uses it.

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

I'd take Daniels, Mo, Clark, Matthews, Perry, Landry/Davenport over the Cardinals pass rush any day.

Their secondary was pretty awesome but Tramon played a ton of man, doesn't matter who surrounds you in that kind of coverage. 

Pettine has a blue print for how to successfully play Tramon, I think he uses it.

I'd trade any of those 2 guys for chan jones.

Why are you including players who weren't even on the team?  We have no idea how this team will play out and whether or not it sets up well to utilize tramon williams.  Cardinals actually used him and actually played him and it actually wasn't bad.  That's worth so much more than this hypothetical packers team which has never played together before.

It matters who surrounds you when it means you are asked to cover very mediocre players with help over the top at all times.  If that's what we're asking Tramon to do... well then we're probably asking too much of Kevin King and our slot defender and they will look bad as a result because Tramon needs too much help.  Obviously it's not quite that simple, but playing with Matthieu and Peterson has a domino effect no matter what the coverage call is.

3 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

I'd trade any of those 2 guys for chan jones.

Why are you including players who weren't even on the team?  We have no idea how this team will play out and whether or not it sets up well to utilize tramon williams.  Cardinals actually used him and actually played him and it actually wasn't bad.  That's worth so much more than this hypothetical packers team which has never played together before.

It matters who surrounds you when it means you are asked to cover very mediocre players with help over the top at all times.  If that's what we're asking Tramon to do... well then we're probably asking too much of Kevin King and our slot defender and they will look bad as a result because Tramon needs too much help.  Obviously it's not quite that simple, but playing with Matthieu and Peterson has a domino effect no matter what the coverage call is.

Peterson and Mathieu are LOS defenders, in man, the only effect they have on Tramon is the fact that he's lined up on a 2/3 and not a 1. They aren't helping him over the top.

Chandler Jones is one guy, the rest of their pass rush isn't anything special. We're deeper.

8 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Peterson and Mathieu are LOS defenders, in man, the only effect they have on Tramon is the fact that he's lined up on a 2/3 and not a 1. They aren't helping him over the top.

Chandler Jones is one guy, the rest of their pass rush isn't anything special. We're deeper.

Peterson and Mathieu are all pro caliber players who don't require the babysitting from the deep help that other players do.  They are helping him over the top in the same way that they are helping him by lining him up against a 2/3.  They lessen his responsibilities.

Would trade our entire defense for the 2017 cardinals defense.  That's my point.  And since our defense is worse, it is asking more of Tramon.

4 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

Peterson and Mathieu are all pro caliber players who don't require the babysitting from the deep help that other players do.  They are helping him over the top in the same way that they are helping him by lining him up against a 2/3.  They lessen his responsibilities.

Would trade our entire defense for the 2017 cardinals defense.  That's my point.  And since our defense is worse, it is asking more of Tramon.

What I'm saying is M2M is the same defense for any of the 32 teams, it's you and the guy across from you. 

Not sure if what they run is a lot of man 2 with split safety help or straight man, but Tramon didn't get any help if it was straight man.

4 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

What I'm saying is M2M is the same defense for any of the 32 teams, it's you and the guy across from you. 

Not sure if what they run is a lot of man 2 with split safety help or straight man, but Tramon didn't get any help if it was straight man.

That's fine.  It's still easier to be the 3rd corner on a good defense (3rd best by FO) than a 3rd corner on an optimistically average one, no matter what scheme you are running or what coverage you are running.  

10 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

Would trade our entire defense for the 2017 cardinals defense.  That's my point.

That certainly would have helped the Packers draft position, by giving GB two more losses in 2017.

Common Opponents: Packers D held the Seahawks to 9 points and won 17-9, Cards D gave up 22 and 24 vs Seattle. In the match up with Tampa Bay, Packers D held them to 20 and won, Cards defense gave up 33 and we would have lost that game

Net result = 5-11 record

Moves the Packers up to spots # 5-8 in the 1st round and a solid shot at the Tier 1 players.

5 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

That certainly would have helped the Packers draft position, by giving GB two more losses in 2017.

Common Opponents: Packers D held the Seahawks to 9 points and won 17-9, Cards D gave up 22 and 24 vs Seattle. In the match up with Tampa Bay, Packers D held them to 20 and won, Cards defense gave up 33 and we would have lost that game

Net result = 5-11 record

Moves the Packers up to spots # 5-8 in the 1st round and a solid shot at the Tier 1 players.

That's how that works, yep/

So, my dad is very much against this signing.  I'm not, but he is....  It leads to some interesting email exchanges.  He made me laugh out loud while reading one of his emails, so I thought I'd put it here for you all to read.  Just for fun guys, just for fun.

The subject line to me?  Williams Questions that need to be Answered...

Dad: I've been thinking about the Packers bringing back Tramon Williams and have some questions:

1) Does Williams have to deduct his Social Security check from his weekly Packer check?

2) Does the NFL allow recliner chairs on the sideline and in the locker room during games?

3) Is Gerital a banned substance in the NFL right now?

4) Are D-back allowed to use walkers when covering wide receivers?

Hope you laughed a little at those, I know I did!

Archived