CB Tramon Williams returning to GB - 2yr deal

deltarich87

14 hours ago, Gopackgonerd said:

Wilkerson got close to 5 mil for 1 year, and his last two seasons were poor, practically the same deal for 1 year. Y'all are acting like he got 10 per year. It's not gonna break the bank + who's left on the market where we really need a boat load of cap space to obtain? 

Not that, so much as if you're going to give Tramon 6 mil in guaranteed, but weren't willing to give Mathieu 9?

56 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Not that, so much as if you're going to give Tramon 6 mil in guaranteed, but weren't willing to give Mathieu 9?

Are we sure Mathieu would have came here for 9? Guy took 7 mil to play for the Texans, don't think he wanted to play here, not to mention there were many more teams interested and he chose them.

25 minutes ago, Packer_ESP said:

Isn't Tramon 3M guaranteed?

Sure, obviously these aren't concrete but if Tramon's contract is 2/9 with 3 guaranteed.

Year 1: 3 year base/1.5 signing bonus

Year 2: 3 year base/1.5 signing bonus.

Technically only 3 guaranteed, but he's not going to get cut in year 1. He'll get his base money for year 1. It's the second year that's up in the air. 

32 minutes ago, Gopackgonerd said:

Are we sure Mathieu would have came here for 9? Guy took 7 mil to play for the Texans, don't think he wanted to play here, not to mention there were many more teams interested and he chose them.

Not at all. Just throwing out a name. We need to see the structure of the deal before we make a call.

I just feel like this was a band-aid on a bullet wound. Now there's times you put a band-aid over stitches to prevent them from getting ripped out, but I'm not seeing (m)any stitches left in the medicine cabinet. 

5 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Sure, obviously these aren't concrete but if Tramon's contract is 2/9 with 3 guaranteed.

Year 1: 3 year base/1.5 signing bonus

Year 2: 3 year base/1.5 signing bonus.

Technically only 3 guaranteed, but he's not going to get cut in year 1. He'll get his base money for year 1. It's the second year that's up in the air. 

Gotcha. I'm eager to know the details but with how strapped for cash we are this year I was thinking base salaries would be more like 2 and 4 or something. That way cap hit is low this year (3.5) and next year we can easily move on if we are tight again and we don't want a 5.5 cap hit for him.

1 minute ago, Packer_ESP said:

Gotcha. I'm eager to know the details but with how strapped for cash we are this year I was thinking base salaries would be more like 2 and 4 or something. That way cap hit is low this year (3.5) and next year we can easily move on if we are tight again and we don't want a 5.5 cap hit for him.

Yours are probably closer than mine, just throwing out some rough numbers to demonstrate that the "Guaranteed" Money isn't the biggst deal that everybody makes it out to be.

Everybody saying, "We only care about guaranteed money," makes me mad. You care about, "Likely to be Earned" money and the hit that comes after that. 

4 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Not at all. Just throwing out a name. We need to see the structure of the deal before we make a call.

I just feel like this was a band-aid on a bullet wound. Now there's times you put a band-aid over stitches to prevent them from getting ripped out, but I'm not seeing (m)any stitches left in the medicine cabinet. 

Unless we grab some stitches from somebody else's wound, I'm getting worried too. I'm trying to play the patience game but I'm finding it hard lately and it seems like the board will have to fall extremely favorably for us. The only way that is going to make me semi-comfortable is if we grab a pass rusher in the first and good corner in the second and then pray none of them misses. I'd still like to add another cheap FA corner if only to increase the competition for all these UDFAs during summer.

45 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

All we know for sure on the Tramon deal is it's 2 years, 3m guaranteed and a max value of 9m. How much of that 9m is base or incentives we don't know yet.

Either way I'm not worried whatsoever about what he got, 3m is not going to handicap us.

I believe if we go by past years, usually the only guarantees we give are the SB so if we assume that $3M guaranteed is the signing bonus that gets spread over the two years at $1.5M each year.  Figure 40% in the first year, and 60% in the 2nd year and that's a $2.4M salary, bonuses, etc. for a cap hit of $3.9M.  That's not crazy money by any means.

12 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Yours are probably closer than mine, just throwing out some rough numbers to demonstrate that the "Guaranteed" Money isn't the biggst deal that everybody makes it out to be.

Everybody saying, "We only care about guaranteed money," makes me mad. You care about, "Likely to be Earned" money and the hit that comes after that. 

Are you talking about LTBE incentives or what they're likely to make since there are times when releasing the player has a higher dead cap than his actual cap hit?

Just now, CWood21 said:

Are you talking about LTBE incentives or what they're likely to make since there are times when releasing the player has a higher dead cap than his actual cap hit?

No, LTBE incentives are calculated with the cap hit when the contract is approved by the league. 99.999% of the time LTBE incentives are purely based on whether the player reached the threshold in the previous season. 

I'm talking about people saying "Only X guaranteed isn't a bad deal" when they're ignoring that the base salary in the first two years of the deal is very high and is basically guaranteed because the team isn't going to cut somebody and eat a huge cap hit.

When you look at NFL contracts you have to find the likely separation point between team and player. Just going off of guaranteed money when comparing contracts between players is shortsighted. 

3 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

No, LTBE incentives are calculated with the cap hit when the contract is approved by the league. 99.999% of the time LTBE incentives are purely based on whether the player reached the threshold in the previous season. 

I'm talking about people saying "Only X guaranteed isn't a bad deal" when they're ignoring that the base salary in the first two years of the deal is very high and is basically guaranteed because the team isn't going to cut somebody and eat a huge cap hit.

When you look at NFL contracts you have to find the likely separation point between team and player. Just going off of guaranteed money when comparing contracts between players is shortsighted. 

That's what I assumed you were talking about, but I wanted to clarify.  Definitely agree with you though.

14 hours ago, DavidatMIZZOU said:

This is still one of the most satisfying plays of all time:

While this the Atlanta TD highlight is awesome... lets not forget his last play as a Packer.  He was flat out humiliated by Kearse.  

Archived