Cheese Curds: Green Bay Packers Updates

swede700

The Packers are shutting their top draft pick from April down for the rest of the year. The team announced on Wednesday that they have placed cornerback Kevin King on injured reserve due to the shoulder injury that has kept him from playing in two of their last three games. Cornerback Demetri Goodson was activated from the physically unable to perform list to fill King’s spot on the roster.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/12/06/packers-place-kevin-king-on-injured-reserve/

We should point out there’s no guarantee Rodgers plays this Sunday, but it’s looking pretty likely. He’s been practicing for two weeks, so all that’s left is a CT scan this week that will show whether his collarbone has healed enough to allow him to play. When he broke his collarbone on the non-throwing side in 2013, he was cleared after seven weeks, so you have to think the odds are good he’ll be cleared this time with an extra week of healing and just as he’s also eligible to return from IR.

McCarthy hasn’t said when Rodgers will be scanned, but it might be as early as Monday so he knows whether Rodgers is playing when the coaching staff begins game planning for Carolina on Monday night.

http://www.packersnews.com/

While I don't want to play a Rodgers led Packers team in Lambeau in December, I do relish the competition that it brings. Objectively, I think it is just a horrible idea on the teams part to have him play anymore this year. Yes, he elevates the team, yes they could still be in wild card contention, but with how poor that team has been performing despite winning, and how long of a shot they are to make the post season, the risk seems too high to put him out there. I never want a player to get hurt, but if he does play I almost hope that he re-injures that shoulder because then maybe they will learn their lesson. Rodgers is their franchise right now, and to gamble on his health this year and possibly next year could potentially be a huge detriment.

31 minutes ago, NorthCountryEvo said:

While I don't want to play a Rodgers led Packers team in Lambeau in December, I do relish the competition that it brings. Objectively, I think it is just a horrible idea on the teams part to have him play anymore this year. Yes, he elevates the team, yes they could still be in wild card contention, but with how poor that team has been performing despite winning, and how long of a shot they are to make the post season, the risk seems too high to put him out there. I never want a player to get hurt, but if he does play I almost hope that he re-injures that shoulder because then maybe they will learn their lesson. Rodgers is their franchise right now, and to gamble on his health this year and possibly next year could potentially be a huge detriment.

Rodgers won't play unless the bone is healed.  The packers have one of the most conservative doctors in the league so if he is cleared to play the bone is fine.  This isn't a Romo situation.  As for playoff hopes, it really depends on this next game in Carolina.  If Rodgers comes back and looks good and the Packers pull out a win, it really isn't far-fetched to think they will beat the Vikings in Lambeau, and then the Lions.  The outside help they need at this point is almost guaranteed to happen.  

With Wentz out the Vikings seem to be the team to beat in the NFC, and those offensive line injuries could be pretty brutal for them. It's wide open this year and with Rodgers back the Packers could beat anyone.  With their defense they could also lose to anyone... 

11 minutes ago, KFP7 said:

Rodgers won't play unless the bone is healed.  The packers have one of the most conservative doctors in the league so if he is cleared to play the bone is fine.  This isn't a Romo situation.  As for playoff hopes, it really depends on this next game in Carolina.  If Rodgers comes back and looks good and the Packers pull out a win, it really isn't far-fetched to think they will beat the Vikings in Lambeau, and then the Lions.  The outside help they need at this point is almost guaranteed to happen.  

With Wentz out the Vikings seem to be the team to beat in the NFC, and those offensive line injuries could be pretty brutal for them. It's wide open this year and with Rodgers back the Packers could beat anyone.  With their defense they could also lose to anyone... 

I'm no doctor, I would never claim to be, but it just seems to me that his collarbone would need more time before it isn't a re-injury risk. Yes, the Packers do have a shot to make the playoffs, but I still think it is a tough road with how the NFC is stacked currently. If I were in charge of the Packers, I'd err on the side of caution and protect the biggest investment in the franchise so I could regroup and build for next season rather than fight an pretty uphill battle in an attempt to make the playoffs/championship.

25 minutes ago, NorthCountryEvo said:

I'm no doctor, I would never claim to be, but it just seems to me that his collarbone would need more time before it isn't a re-injury risk. Yes, the Packers do have a shot to make the playoffs, but I still think it is a tough road with how the NFC is stacked currently. If I were in charge of the Packers, I'd err on the side of caution and protect the biggest investment in the franchise so I could regroup and build for next season rather than fight an pretty uphill battle in an attempt to make the playoffs/championship.

I'm definitely no doctor either, so my opinion is irrelevant but the Packers always err on the side of caution.  So my line of thinking is if Rodgers is cleared, then he is just as healthy now as he will be next June.  It really all depends on that scan, we may find out the bone hasn't healed today and he is out the rest of the season.  They've got some stout defenses these next two weeks so if he is cleared he better be ready to get hit. 

I of course hope he comes back, not just for the Packers but there are far too many stars sitting out due to injury this year.  

33 minutes ago, NorthCountryEvo said:

I'm no doctor, I would never claim to be, but it just seems to me that his collarbone would need more time before it isn't a re-injury risk. 

the article did say though that a collarbone break in his other shoulder healed in 7 weeks, and this one will have had 8.

12 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Green Bay Packers cornerback Davon House suffered a transverse process fracture in his back, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported.

So, he's out for the rest of the season, considering that's probably at least a 4-week recovery time.  

from Ian Rappaport:

Rodgers, eligible to be activated this week after seriously impressing at practice for two weeks, is pushing very hard to play. Wednesday will mark a key moment for Rodgers as the team starts its practice prep for Sunday's game against the Panthers, and Green Bay hopes to have a call by then. Rodgers has targeted Week 15 as the date of his return and is fighting to be on the field. It's not that simple.

The Packers and other voices with whom they are consulting are being far more cautious. While everyone wants Rodgers to play, their thinking is more long-term. He is the franchise, he'll be their QB for years to come, and there is still a steep uphill climb to the playoffs -- though a recent win streak did help.

As Packers doctor Pat McKenzie and other experts evaluate the scan, the decision was described as a "risk/reward" decision.

13 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

If I were a Packer fan I'd want to the team to be playing for draft position and let Rodgers sit. Very small chance they make the playoffs and they have some very physical defenses left on their schedule. Not worth the risk imo.

But Packers' fans want Rodgers to play so they can get their revenge on Anthony Barr.  That's more important to them, according to Twitter.  ;)

Edited by disaacs