Cheese Curds: Green Bay Packers Updates

swede700

for those waking up to this...

Ball’s hiring could create friction with Packers head coach Mike McCarthy. McCarthy, who signed a one-year extension late in the 2017 season, has known Ball since their time with the Kansas City Chiefs. However, McGinn says McCarthy directed his anger about Green Bay’s conservative approach to player acquisition at Ball in the recent past. “Russ and Mike were really tight, but they’ve not seen eye-to-eye in a couple of years,” a source told McGinn. Another source also told McGinn that McCarthy told his staff Thursday that he “planned to leave Green Bay for another job” should Ball ascend to the GM seat.

All of this remains speculative for the time being. The Packers could still pivot towards another GM candidate or McCarthy could warm to the idea of working for Ball, with whom he previously had a strong relationship. Still, it seems the uncertainty surrounding Green Bay will continue for the foreseeable future.

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2018/1/5/16854626/packers-could-retain-brian-gutekunst-lose-mike-mccarthy-if-russ-ball-named-gm-nfl-2018

2 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

i know. it makes their Favre debacle look like minor league ball.

If Rodgers doesn't like the new GM, and forces his way out, will the same fans who turned on Favre turn on Rodgers also?  If someone would have told me a few weeks ago that there is a small, but reasonable possibility that both MM and Rodgers might be forcing their way out of GB, I'd have thought they were nuts.

So McCarthy is more or less the sole survivor, remains head coach, and is involved in hiring the GM, who presumably then won’t have authority to fire him. And the GM job might be split between managing contracts / money (Ball) and personnel / scouting (Gutekunst, but isn’t that what Ted Thompson’s “transition” was supposed to be?). 

Sounds like they’d have 3 distinct roles, sharing power and control of the team more or less equally. Complex situation, need a simple, catchy description for it.

How about: Triangle of Authority

?

• Like 3

7 hours ago, vike daddy said:

can't see how Rodgers can force his way out. he's under contract for another year, and they could franchise him after that.

Rodgers simply has to hold out. He’s under contract, but the guaranteed portion of the contract is up, he’s underpaid by positional standards, and he pretty much holds all the leverage. 

If Rodgers truly wanted out, like Carson Palmer in Cincinnati, he could get out. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Rodgers simply has to hold out. He’s under contract, but the guaranteed portion of the contract is up, he’s underpaid by positional standards, and he pretty much holds all the leverage. 

If Rodgers truly wanted out, like Carson Palmer in Cincinnati, he could get out. 

This was my thinking also.  He could simply retire if he so chose.  He certainly has enough money (and you wonder why your Allstate premiums have gone up so much lol).  Where I see the irony in this situation is how much it reminds me of the friction between GB and Favre several years ago, and how disastrously that all played out.  In my best possible scenario, he  grows tired of football (i.e. retires), re-unites with Olivia Munn, and they star in several X-Men movies together (what would his mutant super-power be?).

1 minute ago, vike daddy said:

bad acting...?

I was thinking more along the lines of super-snarkiness: he distracts super villains while the other X-Men maneuver to defeat them.  Alternatively, he lulls them to sleep by playing his commercials over and over.

11 minutes ago, perrynoid said:

re-unites with Olivia Munn, and they star in several X-Men movies together (what would his mutant super-power be?).

I believe he is dating Danica Patrick now.

Much more wealth.

She is a fitness expert now that she lost her driving job. Just wrote a book!

Pretty soon he will be starting his own health joint called AR12, and Danica will be the health trainer that is causing all the drama on the sidelines for the Packers and MM.

Edited by gopherwrestler
  • Like 1

Aaron Rodgers may have spent most of this season on the injury shelf, but his personal life is getting plenty of reps. After splitting from Olivia Munn in April, Rodgers has been connected to SI Swimsuit model Kelly Rohrbach, gold medal winner Lindsay Vonn and ex-Harvard soccer player Marie Margolius. Another rumor has emerged and it's a good one. Rodgers is now dating Danica Patrick. No idea if this is true but it's a good excuse to bust out Danica's SI Swimsuit photos.

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2018/01/05/aaron-rodgers-danica-patrick-hot-clicks