Packers Forum 2018 NFL Draft Discussion (NO SPOILERS!)

CWood21

4 minutes ago, Cakeshoppe said:

Gute basically confirmed that sending Randall out was because of his locker room presence in the presser. When asked about why this year would be different from 2015's draft: “I will say this: the wiring of the football players that we bring into this building is really important”

"Packer People." As it should be. You're in Green Bay, WI after all. 

a few other quotes from Gute's presser:

on picking a 2nd CB: “It wasn’t a plan. I think it was just one of those things where we got lucky”

on not drafting a pass rusher: “It’s not about filling holes, it’s about picking really good football players… there’ll be opportunities tomorrow or further down the line for that”

41 minutes ago, squire12 said:

For anyone wondering how the GB picks fare in the pSPARQ metrics

# Name ID Pos. School Age HT WT pSPARQ z-score NFL% LastName Arm Hand Wing 40 20 10 SS TC BP VJ BJ
8 Jaire Alexander DB01 CB Louisville 21.6 5102 196 131.7 1.4 91.9 Alexander 31.125 9.5 74.75 4.38 2.55 1.52 3.98 6.71 14 35 10.58
6 Josh Jackson DB18 CB Iowa 22.4 6003 196 133.2 1.5 93.9 Jackson 31.125 9.375 74.25 4.48 2.6 1.52 4.03 6.86 18 40 10.25
3 Oren Burks LB05 OLB Vanderbilt 23.4 6031 233 143.1 1.6 94.9 Burks 33.375 9.125 79.5 4.59 2.64 1.59 4.15 6.82 18 39.5 10.92

That is a very athletic trio thus far.

This is what I based my draft game on and it's the only reason I'm doing ok. 

Btw, has anyone seen the interview video on Packers.com of Scout Alonzo Dotson? Really impressed with his personality, character. Vouched for Josh Jackson in a way I hadn't heard before, especially concerning Jackson's football IQ, the great development done by the Iowa Program, and his confidence in Jackson to play Pettine's press man. Fwiw, two stats on Jackson that stand out are his 40 inch vertical and 18 reps on bench.  Made me feel a bit better about the pick.

9 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

At this point I'm ready for the shotgun approach on Day 3. Use 8 picks on EDGE, WR and OL. Hope you hit on a few. Maybe add a TE as well. 

Exactly. Well said. If Gute finds even two players that stick and contribute, he has done well. I would think a blocking TE (e.g., Dalton Schultz) would be a need. 

8 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

I was being nice.  His tape in that game was dismal.  Can't tackle and no instincts.  I don't like the pick at all.  Maybe he can contribute on special teams in his first year.  He better be smart because he's going to be in for a rude awakening in the NFL.  Hope I am dead wrong but hate when the Packers get cute and try to find that diamond in the rough.  He tested well athletically but that doesn't mean squat if he can't play.  Wouldn't ***** if we blew a late 5th but trading up to get this guy don't like it.  I'll look into him further and try to get behind him having a hard time right now.

is there really such a thing as getting "cute" with a late 3rd-rounder though? it's basically a lotto ticket. everybody has warts at this stage. even mid-2nd rounders have less than 50% odds to be consistent starters. 

Just now, DWhitehurst said:

Btw, has anyone seen the interview video on Packers.com of Scout Alonzo Dotson? Really impressed with his personality, character. Vouched for Josh Jackson in a way I hadn't heard before, especially concerning Jackson's football IQ, the great development done by the Iowa Program, and his confidence in Jackson to play Pettine's press man. Made me feel a bit better about the pick.

I was going to start a topic on this the other day in the college football section after an article I saw on a Hawkeye website... Is Ferentz one of the greatest curators of NFL talent?

I know he doesn't pump out all-pros or a plethora of players like a top end SEC program but he is consistently putting guys into the league on Day 2 and 3 who go on to have long and successful careers in the NFL. Obviously the lack of QBs, WRs, & RBs hurts the argument but when it comes to the trenches and the back 7 on defense there are not many programs that pump out low prospects like Iowa.

11 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

Who's the next WR closest to Pettis? Gute said he was in on Dante, so who's the next in that mold. Do we get Daesean?

Couple of WR that stand out to me

Daurice Fountain

Justin Watson

Daesean Hamilton

3 minutes ago, TransientTexan said:

is there really such a thing as getting "cute" with a late 3rd-rounder though? it's basically a lotto ticket. everybody has warts at this stage. even mid-2nd rounders have less than 50% odds to be consistent starters. 

I’m thinking what he means is don’t overthink it.  Sometimes there’s a fine line between upside and bust, and it’s more conventional to go with someone a little more clear-cut, if there is such a thing.

Just now, squire12 said:

Couple of WR that stand out to me

Daurice Fountain

Justin Watson

Daesean Hamilton

Anyone in on Darren Carrington? I had a couple other guys but I can't remember who for the life of me. I like your guys, except I haven't watched Fountain. Guess I got something to do now.

Maybe the kid will develop.  Who knows.  He's not even close right now.  Raw.  Those are the kind of gambles you take later on.  Wouldn't be so down on him but my god he had no clue what he was doing out there.  Woj admitted as much in his presser.  

Archived