1.13 (13) Washington Redskins select Da'Ron Payne, DT, Alabama

Woz

24 minutes ago, Woz said:

You honestly believe that New Orleans didn't offer something similar (if not that exact deal) to the Redskins?

Look, both @Thaiphoon and I have said we like the pick. However, we both feel like they could have gotten more value out of the pick.

Even if we assume that Payne wasn't going to be available when the Redskins picked again (which the Packers showed wasn't necessarily the case since they bounced back up), is Payne (at 13) worth more than 147 (5.10), a 2019 1st, and Taven Bryan (who was available at 27)? Is he that much better of a player? I dunno, but that's an awful lot of value to leave on the table.

The Redskins went for the safe pick. That's fine. Payne looks to be a good prospect that helps fill a major need for the team. But the lack of imagination, vision, and planning for this franchise may have prevented the Redskins from making a larger move. Let's celebrate the addition of Payne while recognizing that the front office may have missed a major opportunity.

Dude we get it.  They should of taken Marcus Davenport.  I agree. 

Meh, felt like a bit of a reach for me. But I will say I do think we would've taken Vita Vea if he was there, but Bucs suprised everyone. I do think Derwin James will be a better player than Payne and we could've got a 2nd or 4th round NT and maybe even signed Hankins. But can't get too mad that we finally addressed the run stop. 

36 minutes ago, Umbaugh21 said:

Meh, felt like a bit of a reach for me. But I will say I do think we would've taken Vita Vea if he was there, but Bucs suprised everyone. I do think Derwin James will be a better player than Payne and we could've got a 2nd or 4th round NT and maybe even signed Hankins. But can't get too mad that we finally addressed the run stop. 

Everyone knocked Payne for having sacks, but if you look at Derwin James stats you'll notice he wasn't an impact player stat-wise either.  Payne might not have been as good at the combine as James, but he filled a bigger need and IMO makes a bigger impact than James would. 

4 hours ago, Woz said:

You honestly believe that New Orleans didn't offer something similar (if not that exact deal) to the Redskins?

Look, both @Thaiphoon and I have said we like the pick. However, we both feel like they could have gotten more value out of the pick.

Even if we assume that Payne wasn't going to be available when the Redskins picked again (which the Packers showed wasn't necessarily the case since they bounced back up), is Payne (at 13) worth more than 147 (5.10), a 2019 1st, and Taven Bryan (who was available at 27)? Is he that much better of a player? I dunno, but that's an awful lot of value to leave on the table.

The Redskins went for the safe pick. That's fine. Payne looks to be a good prospect that helps fill a major need for the team. But the lack of imagination, vision, and planning for this franchise may have prevented the Redskins from making a larger move. Let's celebrate the addition of Payne while recognizing that the front office may have missed a major opportunity.

Perfectly stated. 

5 hours ago, Woz said:

Took the words out of my sleep deprived mouth.

And @turtle28, you'll notice I've never poo pooed the Scherff pick.

5 hours ago, Umbaugh21 said:

I disagree. According to Cooley, the team was much higher on Payne. He’s not the only local beat guy to say that. 

Here's the thing with Payne. I think he's a "safer" pick than most. He's going to come in, eat space, do his job. We REALLY need that up front. Bad. I would have loved to have done the Saints trade, but like it was mentioned, Bruce would never let that happen. 

1 hour ago, taylor made said:

Excited for this pick. Da'Ron Payne looked better to me on tape than Vita Vea. He was an absolute beast in the biggest of games too.

One great thing. You can see improvement from the first time he played Clemson to the next far as big games go.

That loss to Clemson, he was pushed around like a blocking sled. When they followed up and beat Clemson, he took over the trenches and dominated. He showed monstrous improvement and hopefully continues to grow as such.

He looked phenomenally better lined up in the B gap. When bama allowed him to rush and penetrate he look awesome. Gonna be one of those guys who is a better pro than college player due to his scheme limitations in college.

2 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

Someone help me here . I see he's referred to as a "nose tackle" .. A 314 pound  N/T -really ? I envision a minimum amount of beef for a legit N/T at 340 !

That's been my argument for run downs. We'll see...

6 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

Someone help me here . I see he's referred to as a "nose tackle" .. A 314 pound  N/T -really ? I envision a minimum amount of beef for a legit N/T at 340 !

Nah man.. that's some archaic thinking. Nowadays, you just need a 310 pound meatbag that has a strong anchor, good balance, and active hands. 

Archived