2019 Draft Talk (Draft Order in OP)

TecmoSuperJoe

I know Greedy isn't for everyone, but man is it still crazy to me to see him slipping in the 2nd round. Like how? Especially in a league where CBs are a premium?? What am I missing here? By all accounts he has no off field issues right? 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I know Greedy isn't for everyone, but man is it still crazy to me to see him slipping in the 2nd round. Like how? Especially in a league where CBs are a premium?? What am I missing here? By all accounts he has no off field issues right? 

I think people question his fluidity as well as having concerns about how slender he is. That would be my guess, but I’d love Greedy in round 2.

Just now, Gore Whore 21 said:

I think people question his fluidity as well as having concerns about how slender he is. That would be my guess, but I’d love Greedy in round 2.

He could cover period. I know his effort late in the year wasn't great, but his play was still top notch. A team like NE that loves playing man coverage may end up getting the steal of the draft SMH. 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

He could cover period. I know his effort late in the year wasn't great, but his play was still top notch. A team like NE that loves playing man coverage may end up getting the steal of the draft SMH. 

Absolutely. I’m a big Greedy fan, just trying to come up with a reason for why people would have him dropping. Him being under 190 lbs probably doesn’t help him out. 

10 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Plenty of "ok sure whatevz" flowing imo, but hey, that's the draft. Dudes get picked earlier than expected, and some fall further than. 

I have Greedy now as #9 overall. Do I think he is necessarily a top 10 guy in most drafts? not quite.. but it's just that kind of a draft class this time around, for me. Great depth. Plenty of talent. Just not many that are worthy of top 10. 

10 hours ago, Forge said:

Middlekauf, barrows and Lombardi did a roundtable mock on the athletic. @J-ALL-DAY, you'll be happy to know that only two of them had us drafting a punter :D

Was waiting for them to draft a kicker as well. LIS, might as well draft a long snapper or placeholder as well! If we going to do it, might as well go all in!!!

16 hours ago, Forge said:

Depends. People have cut off lines. I'm pretty up front about mine. I don't want older prospects. Ryan Finley this year is flat out undraftable for me because of his age (will be 25 in december, I believe). I don't really care about quarterbacks being too short, but honestly, not a big fan of quarterbacks over 6'6 (they have absolutely no history of success outside of Joe Flacco, who has largely been a below average for quarterback save for a couple of really good playoff runs). Just weird, arbitrary lines for some people. Since I have my own, I can't really hate on him for having his. Though I'm probably more amenable to changing mine given data - something at this point he's just checked out on (I hated spread quarterbacks for years because they couldn't really get it done in the NFL...that obviously has changed in recent years). 

All fair points. I was too brief and too sarcastic to really make a point of my own - but I largely believe that size in quarterbacks is tremendously overblown. I don't actively dislike tall ones so much as I am tired of the heavy bias towards them, allowing them to be significantly more inaccurate or ineffective before they get the yank/lower grade. Not a particularly hot take until I'm poking fun. That fun includes allowing you to follow your reasonable points to listen to the ever-present sound of the Daniel Jones/Josh Allen/Blake Bortles love. There is no trap so deadly as the trap you set for yourself.

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Why? If they feel like Haskins is their guy, then NO way in hell do you pass on a QB. It looks to be fairly clear that Carr isn't Gruden's long term guy, so if Haskins has that type of potential, why would it be a bad thing to take him at #4? You want a QB, take them as early as you can. People keep saying they can take a QB with one of their two late 1st rounders, but I can't remember the last franchise QB taken in the 20s. I mean Lamar Jackson may end up being that guy, but that is far from a given. 

I suppose it depends on how you feel about Carr. Putting the disaster that was last year in him seems unfair, and if that is what Gruden is doing, I think it's a poor decision. If it's that he's just not his guy, not much you can do about it I didn't. I don't think there is anything wrong with him as a starting NFL quarterback (yet). I would just punt quarterback all together, not draft one at the back end. But again, I support Carr more or less at this juncture

24 minutes ago, Forge said:

I suppose it depends on how you feel about Carr. Putting the disaster that was last year in him seems unfair, and if that is what Gruden is doing, I think it's a poor decision. If it's that he's just not his guy, not much you can do about it I didn't. I don't think there is anything wrong with him as a starting NFL quarterback (yet). I would just punt quarterback all together, not draft one at the back end. But again, I support Carr more or less at this juncture

But that's the thing here, he clearly doesn't seem to be enamored about Carr. And he's had two sort of suspect seasons in a row where he's been checking down like crazy. I have no problem with them taking Haskins if Gruden believes he has more potential and can he his GUY going forward. 

Archived