Grade our Draft: Poll

MWil23

What's your draft grade?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Draft Grade

• A: They nailed it. Dorsey is the GOAT GM
    • B: Solid draft. I think that they got it mostly right, albeit value was a little off
    • C: Average draft. Honestly I wish that we could do a forum vote instead
    • D: Sashi died for this??????
    • F: Truly epic disaster. Baker is going to flame out. Wake me up in 2021

15 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

17. What is it 19 seasons? Brutal. 

This team has probably four years until there is a franchise on my doorstep.

As much as I don’t like it, it will probably be hard to not support the local team primarily if the Browns are still the bottom feeders of the league and squandering premium draft picks left, right and centre.

Grade

We passed on the 3 Best Players in the Draft (Sam Darnold, Saquon Barkley, and Bradley Chubb)

The fact that we had 2 picks in the top 5 and didn't come away with the consensus top player in the draft in Saquon Barkley, the consensus top pass rusher in the draft in Bradley Chubb, or the consensus top QB in the draft in the young phenom/mozart Sam Darnold ... is still jarring to realize... it's really insane and ridiculous to be honest...

I gave it an Average Grade b/c I really don't know how Baker will do... it all comes down to him... Still distraught about the Darnold thing I want to give it an F, but we shall see.. The draft depends on Mayfield, Chubb, and Callaway being hits imo.

The Corbett pick is one of the most shocking as we could've had Courtland Sutton or Donte Jackson, or Isaiah Oliver.. a whole bunch of players that fit needs as I see Corbett as solid LG prospect. I don't see him having the athleticism to play LT as he has a terrible kick step that isn't quick enough to get back to the block point so he ends up bailing out and chop blocking to save his QB.

----------------------

Alternative drafts

One of the things I come back to is that with our first 5 picks we selected the following positions: QB, CB, RB, OG, and DE.

I think back to how the board fell and what we could've done to maximize those positions better... it's very hindsight-like, but it's frustrating to think of how much better we could've done.

If we just base it off the positions of QB, CB, RB, OG, and DE as an alternative option we could've went:

1. DE-Bradley Chubb,

4. QB- Darnold/Mayfield/Rosen,

33. CB- Traded up from 33 to 29 to take CB Mike Hughes,

35 Taken Nick Chubb

64. Taken a true LT prospect like Brandon Parker/Chucks Okarafor/Geron Christian/Joseph Notebloom with the Eagles pick instead of drafting a guard or center in Corbett (I don't believe he has the pro ability to play LT even though he did so in college

OR

1. RB- Saquon Barkley,

4. QB- Darnold/Mayfield/Rosen,

33. CB- Traded up from 33 to 29 to take CB Mike Hughes,

35. Traded down multiple times ... acquired more assets ... then selected DE- Chad Thomas or Harold Landry

64. Taken a true LT prospect like Brandon Parker/Chucks Okarafor/Geron Christian/Joseph Notebloom with the Eagles pick instead of drafting a guard or center in Corbett (I don't believe he has the pro ability to play LT even though he did so in college

OR

Just have taken Darnold and all would be well....lol

--------------------------

I actually really like the Chad Thomas pick although I felt the same way as you until I watched a few games.... @MWil23

He actually provides a lot that Chubb provides on the outside albeit to a lesser extent. For a slow timed athlete, he can swipe and turn the corner surprisingly well... he also plays with a powerful punch... his skill set is a little redundant with Ogbah's but Chad Thomas if he can play with sustained fire and passion could give us inside and outside rush versatility a la Calais Campbell to a lesser extent.

Check this one out if you have the time and feel like it...

In a word I think the draft was "reach-ish"... and with OT and DT looming as the strengths of the 2019 Draft, it seems to me to be misdirected/ shortsighted.

Rnd 1 was fine. Mayfield - B+; Ward: A... I was a bit surprised that we picked at #4, but seems the trade market was thin. Had NYG gone Darnold, then I think 4's value would have risen. Mayfield was my #2 QB behind Rosen. Ward was my top, non-QB in the draft.

Rnd 2... Corbett - D; Chubb - B+... starting with the Corbett reach at #33 Dorsey lost me. He certainly was not the best OG on the board at 33... and he's not an OT. I'm doubling up on CBs with Josh Jackson staring at me. The at #35 I'm reaching (as it turns out) for my WR, DJ Chark, and will target my RB later.

Rnd 3... Chad Thomas - F... after a trade down I'm not reaching for a DE that I have to move inside. I grabbing Justin Reid to compete at FS. How he fell this far I've no idea.

Rnd 4... Antonio Callaway - C... I get the risk/reward of Callaway here, but having my WR above I go for a different risk... Mo Hurst.

Rnd 5... Genard Avery - A... perfect. One of two, Day 3 LBs I coveted. Isn't confirmation bias great?

Rnd 6... Ratley - C- /Thomas - I... really don't know either, which is really only a concern with Ratley since I follow TAMU. My 2nd WR would have been Dylan Cantrell (Tx Tech) if I went that route, but were I DE and RB hunting then Ade Aruna and Justin Jackson would be my guys.

EDIT: Supposed to grade each pick as well? OK...

I think that the football guys crapped away the largesse of draft picks that they were given.

This easily could/should have been an A draft.

Looking more like a C, to me.

Exactly what many inside and outside of the forum feared.

Brownsesque.

The reprobates and Mayfield have to excel to save it.

Think about that.

1 hour ago, bruceb said:

I think that the football guys crapped away the largesse of draft picks that they were given.

This easily could/should have been an A draft.

Looking more like a C, to me.

Exactly what many inside and outside of the forum feared.

Brownsesque.

The reprobates and Mayfield have to excel to save it.

Think about that.

So you're saying that if our number one overall pick in the draft isn't good then we blew it but if we'd taken Darnold number one and he was no good then we didn't blow it?

Think about it.

Im warming up to the Baker pick more and more.----- B+

Denzel Ward is risky...and might define this whole draft type of risky and I hate that we passed on Chubb. We just took a CB higher than Jalen Ramsey was taken who was widely considered the best CB prospect since Patrick Peterson who was taken 7th. Ward is not near that level as a prospect. IF Ward is anything short of a premier top tier CB in 2 years, this pick was bad strictly off what you spent to take him when guys like Jackson/Oliver were there in the 2nd round. ----- C+/B-

I know nothing about Corbett but I also dont get drafting a guy who is viewed as a better fit at Guard and making him play NFL Tackle but I like that they at least got somebody they think is talented enough to continue at tackle. The only way this pick makes sense is if he is a tackle but Conner Williams was on the board and if you wanted a elite guard Hernandez was there----- C+/B-

Nick Chubb might be the most impactful from day 1 player we took in this draft and I think he can be really special----- A+

Antonio Callaway is boom or bust but I like the enthusiasm behind the pick and great upside. Hes Corey Colman bust insurance --- B+

Chad Thomas -- Seems like a JAG but according to some he has some upside. Why not roll the dice on Mo Hurst in the 3rd---- C+

Genard Avery looks like a high production small school talent that has a lot of likeable traits and is well rounded---- A-

Damion Ratley-- I dont understand why we spent a pick on ANOTHER WR late with Gordon, Coleman, Landry, Callaway, Higgins, Janis and Louis. Especially when there were multiple receivers who were more highly touted like Lazard who somehow didnt get drafted but this guy did? For a position we dont even need depth at?----- F

Siemon Thomas- Another guy who has a checkered past who was arrested for conspiracy to commit a felony..who is a 7th round talent. Why.------ F

IMO there were several UDFAs that would have been better than what we did in the 6th and 7th rounds. Not just blow them out the window on two guys who probably wont even make the roster.

1 hour ago, NudeTayne said:

So you're saying that if our number one overall pick in the draft isn't good then we blew it but if we'd taken Darnold number one and he was no good then we didn't blow it?

Think about it.

I kind of agree with Bruce on this one. 
darnold is a traditional QB that works in the NFL, Baker is an oddity imo. 

If you fail using conventional wisdom then so be it.

If you fail using unconventional wisdom then your innovation failed 

6 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

I kind of agree with Bruce on this one. 
darnold is a traditional QB that works in the NFL, Baker is an oddity imo. 

If you fail using conventional wisdom then so be it.

If you fail using unconventional wisdom then your innovation failed 

For a front office how you fail is pretty irrelevant.  If they whiff on the number one overall QB, odds are they won’t be around when the time comes to fix the mistake, so they take what they feel is the best shot.

Darnold was both the consensus and my personal favorite, but there is a helluvan argument for Baker too.  A lot of guys who know the position like Baker better.  The analytics support Baker.

Baker, to me, isn’t innovative or outside the box, he’s just a surprise for a lot of the folks who loved Darnold.

i dont see why denzel ward is so risky
his athletic profile compares very very very similarly to marshon lattimore (DROY, pro bowler, 5 int) and he has shown that he can play corner at a high level in a major conference for urban meyer who pretty much knows how to churn out dominant cbs (lets just forget about eli apple for a sec) including our last good CB joe haden

3 hours ago, mistakey said:

i dont see why denzel ward is so risky
his athletic profile compares very very very similarly to marshon lattimore (DROY, pro bowler, 5 int) and he has shown that he can play corner at a high level in a major conference for urban meyer who pretty much knows how to churn out dominant cbs (lets just forget about eli apple for a sec) including our last good CB joe haden

Yeah, I don’t think Ward is risky. If there was a character/work ethic question, it would be different. His abilities seem to match his performance.

For me, I don’t see a future top 5 CB like I saw with Marshon, but I do think he will be a good starting CB for a long time. 

6 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

For a front office how you fail is pretty irrelevant.  If they whiff on the number one overall QB, odds are they won’t be around when the time comes to fix the mistake, so they take what they feel is the best shot.

Darnold was both the consensus and my personal favorite, but there is a helluvan argument for Baker too.  A lot of guys who know the position like Baker better.  The analytics support Baker.

Baker, to me, isn’t innovative or outside the box, he’s just a surprise for a lot of the folks who loved Darnold.

Probably right. I think it will be perceived differently if Darbold busts and Mayefield busts or even if they are both average .

Archived