Does anybody else think Deshaun Watson is being crowned prematurely?

Bolts223

24 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

No! I’ve liked Watson since at Clemson. Did you not see what he did to Bama defense twice? That’s when Saban had an historic Bama defense in those years with extra time to prepare for Watson. Like Watson could’ve beaten Saban twice but the first time he just ran out of time. The second time he won.

Kaep and Jimmy G never did those things in college. People crowned them too fast. I told people to pump the breaks on Kaep and I’m telling people to pump the breaks on Jimmy G. Watson is the real deal. He showed it in college and when got his shot in the NFL we saw it. 

Did you see what Manziel did to Alabama's defense??? Like that means anything!!!

Every QB in the league with less than 5 years under his belt is crowned prematurely. Fans just don't like to hear it because they fall in love with some new shiny thing. Watson, Wentz, Goff, Luck, RGIII,  Dak etc. Until you've done it consistently for about 5 years it really doesn't mean a whole lot. I'm sorry. We've seen so many QB's look like absolutely mega stars for a year and then flail out. Even guys like Cam who are legit franchise guys have had MVP caliber years where everyone thought they would run the league for the forseeable future and they crashed down to Earth. 

Consistency in this league is everything. It's what separates Rodgers/Brees/Brady from everyone else. 

To those saying it’s premature: we then have to assume Carson Wentz’ status as a top QB is premature also, right? And Goff’s? And Jimmy’s (although I feel most people feel this way)?

2 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

Did you see what Manziel did to Alabama's defense??? Like that means anything!!!

In context we can look at something similar performances differently. Manziel ran around a lot and made some lucky throws where I’m like I don’t know how his receiver caught the ball. Watson was making big time NFL throws in tight coverages. 

He'll fall a bit back to earth this season but he's still going to be a good QB. I said going in to the draft he's pretty much Donovan McNabb made over(physically they're practically the exact same person as is, I feel similar about their traits as a player).

2 hours ago, lancerman said:

Consistency in this league is everything. It's what separates Rodgers/Brees/Brady from everyone else.

There's a massive difference from crowning a player legit and comparing him to 3 future HOF/All time Greats!!!

Watson would also be considered Legit if he lives up to the standards of say Stafford, Ryan, Rivers and Wilson. That too is entirely possible. The 3 you listed is unlikely for the vast majority of every QB in the league. Just saying.

1 hour ago, Yin-Yang said:

To those saying it’s premature: we then have to assume Carson Wentz’ status as a top QB is premature also, right? And Goff’s? And Jimmy’s (although I feel most people feel this way)?

Every QB who has 5 or fewer seasons in the league isn't a top QB, they have the potential to be one if they can stay healthy and consistently play at a high level. So yes literally every QB that has had one good season isn't a top QB (Wentz, Foles, Goff, Dak, Watson etc.) I'd also argue some never get the hype train derailed such as Andrew Luck who despite not throwing for a football for over a year is still seen by some as a top 10 QB based purely on potential and some very good but not great seasons.

Very few QBs have done that for 3 or more seasons in a row at this point.

I had Watson as not just my top QB but my #1 overall player last year.  I too think that the Watson hype is way premature.  The stats were great, but your best ability is availability and he has to show he can make it thru the season healthy and still play at a high level.  Once he has done that then we can start the top 10 talk.  Truthfully, what I learned from Rex Grossman is it takes about 8 games for NFL DCs to catch up to a new qb.  

There are 2 Q’s being asked in reality.   

Is Watson likely to be as good as his first 6 games?  Probably not, because his style is so different to defend (mobile QB who’s actually a pocket passer) and to expect initially.   D’s assume the guy is a run first untested guy and they can rattle him.  That approach clearly backfired.   D’s will adjust their plan.   Happens all the time.   

But Watson’s best skills are pocket awareness, rapid read progression and recognition of what the D is doing.   And anticipation combined with the above.  It’s what makes his average arm and good-but-nowhere near elite mobility play up.   Everyone who was wrong on Watson last year correctly assumed the latter physical skills were just average to above-average and not enough to succeed consistently.   The former skills are what were underestimated.   Given that those non-physical skills predict long-term NFL success it’s also a much higher likelihood Watson can adjust back to whatever D’s do now and remain successful.  

Given the above what’s the likely path now? Elite?   Unlikely.  If that’s the only Q...sure.   But the real Q should be - Legit franchise QB?  Barring injury, that’s very likely.  It’s not the success with 6 games that matters - it’s how he’s succeeding.   It isn’t a new scheme (Foles with Chip Kelly in PHI) or just m relying on physical tools (RG3).  We’ve seen it and it never lasts.   Watson’s reasons for success (barring injury of course) are more durable.  They also mean it really unlikely hes A-Rod level, either.   But legit franchise guy?   Yeah, I’m sold. 

8 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

There's a massive difference from crowning a player legit and comparing him to 3 future HOF/All time Greats!!!

Watson would also be considered Legit if he lives up to the standards of say Stafford, Ryan, Rivers and Wilson. That too is entirely possible. The 3 you listed is unlikely for the vast majority of every QB in the league. Just saying.

Ryan, Rivers, Wilson have played at their level for years. We’ve seen dozens of young QB’s have a hot first or 2nd year. Last year a lot of people in the media and here were saying Dak should be MVP. 

9 hours ago, TitanLegend said:

He'll fall a bit back to earth this season but he's still going to be a good QB. I said going in to the draft he's pretty much Donovan McNabb made over(physically they're practically the exact same person as is, I feel similar about their traits as a player).

Except Watson is much more mentally tough and has leadership skills.

Nope.  He was on pace to throw 40 tds which would have easily been the rookie record.  If it wasn't for O'Brien and his stupid coaching decisions the Texans would have beaten the Pats and the Seahawks on the road.  Both those places are tough to get a W at. The guy made Will Fuller be the 2nd coming of Desean Jackson in the games he started. Also I don't get the INT knock on him. Didn't Peyton throw 28 INT's his rookie year? He also threw 23in 2001. Watson is a gunslinger.  The INT's will happen but that will not knock him for being a very good starting QB.

20 hours ago, Bolts223 said:

I just think that people are pretty much saying he is a guaranteed pro-bowl/franchise QB 

Big difference between those two. I'll say DW and JG are just about safe "franchise" QBs, as long as DW is recovered from injury.

Archived