2019 Draft Talk

swede700

11 minutes ago, Klomp said:

Do you draft DK Metcalf if he's there?

Guy looks like a beast, but even if he’s the best talent on the board when it’s our pick, i’d have a tough time selecting him. Diggs, Theilen, and Metcalf would be too crowded of a WR room when there’s large weaknesses elsewhere. We’d have to be moving on from one of our top two guys for me to be interested.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NorthCountryEvo said:

Guy looks like a beast, but even if he’s the best talent on the board when it’s our pick, i’d have a tough time selecting him. Diggs, Theilen, and Metcalf would be too crowded of a WR room when there’s large weaknesses elsewhere. We’d have to be moving on from one of our top two guys for me to be interested.

Yeah I think the only non-OL that I'd be happy with at #18 would be Hockensen. Fant, or Oliver.  Perhaps even Wilkins or White.

59 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

Yes. This is a deep draft at our positions of need so I'm taking bpa if he falls.

Agreed 100%

Passing on Metcalf is like passing on Randy Moss, we'd pay for it for the next decade plus.  You take him if he is there.  I want FA starting  O-Linemen, not projects.  Spend FA money on the line, draft the other needs.  If he's not there than draft a stud G or tackle.

I know we need OL and are good at WR, but if Metcalf is there then you have to take him.  We could use a jump ball WR and we could use a burner WR and he is both.  We can trade future picks to move around and get OL if we need to.  We still can’t ignore the OL.  That being said I don’t think there is anyway that Metcalf falls to our pick let alone out of the top 10.  I could easily see the Bills or maybe even the 49ers taking him.  This guy could end up being somewhere between Andre Johnson and Terrell Owens!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

That performance by Metcalf was insane, but he looks like he'll be a one trick pony in the NFL. The shuttle and 3 cone were as bad as his explosiveness and speed were incredible.

Metcalf was better than Andre Johnson in the 40 yard dash, broad jump, and vertical jump.  His shuttle time wasn’t as good as Johnson’s, but he did get the same time as DeAndre Hopkins.  His 3 cone drill is similar to what Anquon Boldin ran.  I don’t think the low 3 cone and shuttle scores will prevent him from being a good WR, but even if he ends up only being a 6’3” burner with 4.3 speed that will be more than enough to warrant a top 20 selection, but his film shows he can be more than that.

34 minutes ago, Kparty15 said:

Metcalf was better than Andre Johnson in the 40 yard dash, broad jump, and vertical jump.  His shuttle time wasn’t as good as Johnson’s, but he did get the same time as DeAndre Hopkins.  His 3 cone drill is similar to what Anquon Boldin ran.  I don’t think the low 3 cone and shuttle scores will prevent him from being a good WR, but even if he ends up only being a 6’3” burner with 4.3 speed that will be more than enough to warrant a top 20 selection, but his film shows he can be more than that.

Metcalf if he dropped sure they would look at him, like any player who drops but the guy was injured badly two out of three years in college, and one of those three years was a RS season when he was injured.  Has only played one full season, physical freak show no doubt but that injured history is scary.  Also sure put up better numbers than Andre Johnson at the combine, but he is a potential Hall of Fame WR, Metcalf would be lucky to play 5 years in the NFL and not get injured much less play 14 years in the NFL like Johnson did.  

In terms of Noah Fant, had a great combine no doubt but would one really take Jared Cook and think you got some amazing player?  I liked Jared Cook a lot coming out of college, is arguably better as a jump ball athlete than Fant was who is basically just a TE who can stretch the field vertically.  That is great but to spend a 1st rounder on that when the OL is obviously the #1 issue by far for the Vikings.  Yeah give me some freaking OL help over a vertical threat at TE.  Andre Dillard and Chris Lindstrom are now other OL options for them to look at, especially Dillard  with his workouts, some might say Barrett Bradbury and sure but 18 I feel is a little high for him.  Still say at center McCoy in the 3rd but most likely 2nd now would make more sense than Bradbury in the 1st.  

• Like 1

Metcalf wasn't the only WR to put up some impressive numbers, but wow!  If his pro-day and interviews go well, I could see him being picked by the Lions, Broncos, or Bills in the top 10.

If the Vikes picked him, they'd have to be thinking 3-Deep reincarnate . . . I just don't think you catch that lightning in a bottle twice.

I hope they stick to the O-Line plan for Rd 1 . . . yes, there appears to be great depth there, but ya still need the blue-chipper on this unit.  Personally, Dillard would be a steal at 18, and he's likely gone before then.  Given the IOL combine results, I'm loving what Lindstrom and Bradbury displayed.  The close 4th/5th to these 3 IMO are Udoh and Opeta . . . those guys put on a small-school clinic.  I also have to admit I hoped Cody Ford and Dalton Risner would show better . . . not that their respective pro days won't show improved results.  Cody Ford may slip out of the 1st round, if his bench # is real.  Seems like he'll improve on that though.  Risner was way slower in the 40 than I thought he'd be, but his lateral numbers are fairly good, so his interviews and tape have a lot to do with where he goes.  The final two guys to discuss are Jonah Williams and Jawaan Taylor . . . Williams' numbers were average in general; yet, we all know the guy can play.  It'll be interesting to see Taylor's numbers.  

For me, if the Vikes took Lindstrom or Bradbury in Rd 1, I'd be stoked. 

Fant or Hockenson could be great too; however, there are a lot of TEs that will be available in Rd 2 or 3 that are as fast and as big.  Question is in film . . . can the catch and block?    Foster Moreau probably made himself some money today.

• Like 1

Looking back at Brian O’Neill’s combine stats compared to this years class I can’t believe how big of a steal we got on him.  He performed as good or better of a combine than just about everyone in this years class.  Statistically O’Neill was better than Jonah Williams in every category from size to athleticism.

• Like 1