2019 NFL Draft - Quarterbacks

AlNFL19

On 7/15/2018 at 8:48 PM, AlNFL19 said:

Why are you so high on Nate Stanley? Just asking, not trying to be rude or anything.

He's got a solid arm and has good arm talent. Good stature with functional mobility and is tough. Plays with a lot of poise and throws with anticipation. Pro scheme versed. He just does everything a bit too slow and his ball placement can be spotty. He's like a Tom Savage right now but there's a lot of upside. His game vs Ohio State gives a hint at what he might be.

On 7/17/2018 at 6:43 PM, BrownLeader said:

He's got a solid arm and has good arm talent. Good stature with functional mobility and is tough. Plays with a lot of poise and throws with anticipation. Pro scheme versed. He just does everything a bit too slow and his ball placement can be spotty. He's like a Tom Savage right now but there's a lot of upside. His game vs Ohio State gives a hint at what he might be.

To piggyback on what BrownLeader, Stanley had 2 things going against him last year.

1. He had one WR last year with a career catch going into last year. He also had to play with 2 Freshmen tackles and a banged up offensive line. Those freshmen are going to be great but still.

2. As a first year starter he had to go into the season with a brand new offensive scheme and brand new OC. Due to the inexperience of the WR Corps,Line, and Stanley, the Ferentz' really muzzled him at times.

The two games Stanley was able to air it out(ISU and tOSU) he looked great. Ideal NFL size. Good mechanics and good arm strength. You could identify him approaching the NFL system in an appropriate manner. Guy is tough and is definitely a.competitor. Just oozes with ideal NFL intangibles 

He does have areas to improve. Accuracy on the long ball. He missed a few last year(his WRs didn't really help matters though). I'd agree with the bit too slow comment but I see that being corrected this year with more experience and better options.

Iowa never has great WRs. The young options they had last year were Freshmen but guys that have some of the best upside I've seen in a while. I wouldn't put Stanley #2 on my QB rankings but he might be the most intriguing darkhorse QB in CFB. He's going to Big Ten Media Days as a JR and Iowa generally does not bring non seniors.

Everyone throws around the Iowa vs Ohio State game last year as proof Stanley can ball.  Kid played in a game where the opposite QB threw 4 INTs one for a TD.  He had a lot of help on offense, a 118 yard rusher in that game and a 74 yard rusher that greatly helped in the boot leg actin they ran constantly.  He had two dynamite TEs who they struggled to cover all game long, they had combined four TD catches and a back who made plays catching out of the backfield as well.  The OL with a legit pro center who was a 2nd round pick and could be a great player, and like some have said a young but still talented OL.  

So Stanley had some help around him and I think most could agree Ohio State did not even look anything close to themselves in that game defensively.  Iowa vs BC in the bowl game, yeah not as impressive.  Take the easy stuff away from him and make it hard he struggles.  Big kid sure and has some ability but he is not an elite QB, at least not to me in what he has shown so far.  CJ Beathard to me showed way more touch and natural throwing ability than Stanley, all Stanley has over him is that he is bigger.  And Beathard will arguably be only a career backup in the NFL.

Will see how Stanley plays this year for sure, it is not the most difficult schedule around, do not play any of the big boys outside of Wisconsin.  Maybe he will progress and develop as a passer but to me he still has a long ways to go.  

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/5/2018 at 5:33 PM, BleedTheClock said:

I have a feeling it's going to be someone not on this list. A dark-horse candidate that comes from nowhere.  I don't really like any of these QB's right now. I think any of the top 5 QB's from this past year's draft class would have gone #1 in this upcoming one. 

I think that Brian Lewerke checks all the boxes and might be this guy. I like him more than the other B1G QBs I've seen mentioned in this thread (Thorson, Stanley, McSorley, Hornibrook). Maybe there's an exception for Haskins or Patterson but I like to see it consistently live before buying into NFL hype, especially for a QB. Don't watch enough football from other conferences anymore to try to compare the rest this early. 

On 8/18/2018 at 10:39 PM, UofMfan909 said:

I think that Brian Lewerke checks all the boxes and might be this guy. I like him more than the other B1G QBs I've seen mentioned in this thread (Thorson, Stanley, McSorley, Hornibrook).

I'm surprised he's not getting more love. I wouldn't be surprised if he was a Top 5 pick.

1. Will Grier
2a. Jarrett Stidham
2b. Justin Herbert
4. Drew Lock
5. Shea Patterson

Grier reminds me a lot of Baker so he's my #1 guy going into this season. Stidham and Herbert both have the physical tools to succeed but both come with questions (Stidham - system, Herbert - ball security) so I can't really separate them. Lock has good size but I'm really not a fan of his arm. He can throw it deep but I'm not sure about the velocity on his throws. They seem to float to me. Patterson could rise depending on how he looks in Michigan's system. 

On 8/18/2018 at 2:25 PM, CWood21 said:

I've watched maybe five minutes of Justin Herbert so far from this past season, and his ball security is awful.  I mean, I saw 3 fumbles I believe.

As a Ducks fan, he continues our post Mariota tradition of overhyped QB play. 

Unlike Vernon and Dakota, Herbert just happens to have a pro QB frame. He'll probably get a rd1 grade by proxy, but I view it as a Locker type situation where it's more about "upside" than anything. 

I pre-apologize for whoever blows that pick. 

This QB class is terrible.

On 10/07/2018 at 11:20 PM, Broncofan said:

I don't see Tampa thinking QB at all barring more off-the-field issues - the 5th year option is going to be available for 2019, and then a franchise tag.  Given what QB's are making nowadays, those are no-brainers to just go year-to-year for 2019-20, and not even worry about QB until 2020 or even 2021 (I think Winston will be fine, if he can avoid more off-the-field issues).  Given how meh the 2019 class looks, it's not like a team who has a young QB will feel compelled to reach.

I think that's the thing with this class though.  At least, the way it looks right now.  Teams aren't going to have to invest top-15 sort of picks in these guys.  There aren't guys worth that.  We're looking at a class where maybe a couple teams will "reach" on guys with top picks...but there are a lot of interesting guys that teams will be able to grab with later picks and see how they develop.  A team like the Bucs seem primed for drafting someone to at least get another iron in the fire in the even Winston continues to be mediocre at best and a massive off-the-field headache.  It won't even necessarily have to be their top pick.

Actually looking at this class for a little while, I'm more excited than most for it. It doesn't have any megastars like Darnold or Rosen were going into their final college seasons, but it has plenty of guys with some talent. I'm confident one guy in this class will be a long-term starter at a high level, it'll just be a matter of who? We'll see how that changes throughout the season.

The five guys I want to see the most this year are, in no real order, as of now: Will Grier (West Virginia), Jarrett Stidham (Auburn), Nate Stanley (Iowa), McKenzie Milton (UCF), and Jake Bentley (South Carolina).

3 hours ago, Classic said:

After last night's awful showing by Shea Patterson and the Michigan offense. Shea should never see a nfl field if he turns ball over like he did last night.

But he did the same thing at Ole Miss and people chose to stick their head in the sand, he is who he is (generally speaking)

Archived