AlNFL19

2019 Quarterback Class

Top Quarterbacks in the 2019 NFL Draft Class  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Who's the best QB so far in the 2019 draft class?

• Drew Lock, Missouri
    • Jarrett Stidham, Auburn
    • Justin Herbert, Oregon
    • Shea Patterson, Michigan
    • Clayton Thorson, Northwestern
    • Ryan Finley, N.C. State
    • Deondre Francois, Florida State
    • Will Grier, West Virginia
    • Jake Browning, Washington
    • Jacob Eason, Washington
    • Nick Fitzgerald, Mississippi State
    • Jake Bentley, South Carolina
    • Trace McSorley, Penn State
    • Kelly Bryant, Clemson
    • Other

Posted (edited)
On 7/15/2018 at 8:48 PM, AlNFL19 said:

Why are you so high on Nate Stanley? Just asking, not trying to be rude or anything.

He's got a solid arm and has good arm talent. Good stature with functional mobility and is tough. Plays with a lot of poise and throws with anticipation. Pro scheme versed. He just does everything a bit too slow and his ball placement can be spotty. He's like a Tom Savage right now but there's a lot of upside. His game vs Ohio State gives a hint at what he might be.

Edited by BrownLeader

On 7/17/2018 at 6:43 PM, BrownLeader said:

He's got a solid arm and has good arm talent. Good stature with functional mobility and is tough. Plays with a lot of poise and throws with anticipation. Pro scheme versed. He just does everything a bit too slow and his ball placement can be spotty. He's like a Tom Savage right now but there's a lot of upside. His game vs Ohio State gives a hint at what he might be.

To piggyback on what BrownLeader, Stanley had 2 things going against him last year.

1. He had one WR last year with a career catch going into last year. He also had to play with 2 Freshmen tackles and a banged up offensive line. Those freshmen are going to be great but still.

2. As a first year starter he had to go into the season with a brand new offensive scheme and brand new OC. Due to the inexperience of the WR Corps,Line, and Stanley, the Ferentz' really muzzled him at times.

The two games Stanley was able to air it out(ISU and tOSU) he looked great. Ideal NFL size. Good mechanics and good arm strength. You could identify him approaching the NFL system in an appropriate manner. Guy is tough and is definitely a.competitor. Just oozes with ideal NFL intangibles 

He does have areas to improve. Accuracy on the long ball. He missed a few last year(his WRs didn't really help matters though). I'd agree with the bit too slow comment but I see that being corrected this year with more experience and better options.

Iowa never has great WRs. The young options they had last year were Freshmen but guys that have some of the best upside I've seen in a while. I wouldn't put Stanley #2 on my QB rankings but he might be the most intriguing darkhorse QB in CFB. He's going to Big Ten Media Days as a JR and Iowa generally does not bring non seniors.

Everyone throws around the Iowa vs Ohio State game last year as proof Stanley can ball.  Kid played in a game where the opposite QB threw 4 INTs one for a TD.  He had a lot of help on offense, a 118 yard rusher in that game and a 74 yard rusher that greatly helped in the boot leg actin they ran constantly.  He had two dynamite TEs who they struggled to cover all game long, they had combined four TD catches and a back who made plays catching out of the backfield as well.  The OL with a legit pro center who was a 2nd round pick and could be a great player, and like some have said a young but still talented OL.  

So Stanley had some help around him and I think most could agree Ohio State did not even look anything close to themselves in that game defensively.  Iowa vs BC in the bowl game, yeah not as impressive.  Take the easy stuff away from him and make it hard he struggles.  Big kid sure and has some ability but he is not an elite QB, at least not to me in what he has shown so far.  CJ Beathard to me showed way more touch and natural throwing ability than Stanley, all Stanley has over him is that he is bigger.  And Beathard will arguably be only a career backup in the NFL.

Will see how Stanley plays this year for sure, it is not the most difficult schedule around, do not play any of the big boys outside of Wisconsin.  Maybe he will progress and develop as a passer but to me he still has a long ways to go.