If Trubisky, Mahomes, and Watson were in the 2018 draft, where do you think they go?

patriotsheatyan

Comparing the top end of the 2017 and 2018 draft classes.

Trubisky, Mahomes, Watson, Mayfield, Darnold, Allen, Rosen, Jackson.

provided we magically insert three 2017 first round QBs in the 2018 draft, how would the 2017 prospects have compared to the 2018 prospects? And what order would they likely be drafted in?

10 minutes ago, patriotsheatyan said:

Comparing the top end of the 2017 and 2018 draft classes.

Trubisky, Mahomes, Watson, Mayfield, Darnold, Allen, Rosen, Jackson.

provided we magically insert three 2017 first round QBs in the 2018 draft, how would the 2017 prospects have compared to the 2018 prospects? And what order would they likely be drafted in?

The 2018 qbs didnt get drafted in the order I would have drafted them so this is a hard exercise to do. 

Given that I'd rank all top 4 QBs from 2018 ahead of Trubisky, I suspect the order would be 2018 followed by 2017, although I could see Mahomes or Watson going ahead of Trubisky.

He really benefited from being in a draft class that lacked "pocket passers".

2017 ranking: Mahomes, Trubisky, Watson. 

2018 ranking: Darnold, Baker, Rosen, Allen. 

Combined: Darnold, Baker, Mahomes, Rosen, Trubisky, Watson, Allen. 

So yeah, I was pretty off and probably will be with 18’ too.

So, I'm going to for arguments sake (because magic) going to say that these are duplicates of the 2017 quarterbacks.  Meaning Trubisky, Mahomes and Watson were drafted last year and these are three identical duplicates with the same history and capabilities.  Basically we don't have to alter last year's draft, last year's season or which teams need QB's and have first round picks to account for these players not being a part of the 2017 draft. 

Also, because magic, we don't know that these are the three QB's who went last year.  Basically meaning no hindsight.  I mean if everyone knows what Watson-clone and Mahomes-clone can do in the NFL, obviously they go 1 & 2. 

So, I think Mayfield and Darnold are still the first two quarterbacks off the board.  Who goes next would depend on which team drafted a QB next.  With the addition of the 2017 QB's, it's possible but not certain Denver decides to take one.  I think they would take Mitchell Trubisky at #5 if they did.  With so many quarterbacks, I don't think Buffalo or Arizona trade up.  As a result, Miami gets their choice of Mahomes, possibly Trubisky, Allen and Rosen.  Minkah Fitzpatrick is a great defensive back prospect, but there's a reason Buffalo and Arizona traded up and I think Miami was it. So I expect they go with either Trubisky or Mahomes if Trubisky is off the board.  Buffalo drafts Mahomes or Allen if Mahomes is off the board because Buffalo still needs that strong armed quarterback who can zip the ball with how cold and windy their stadium is.  I wasn't a fan of Mahomes last year, but I certainly think he was a better prospect than Josh "stats are for losers" Allen and I think he would go first between the two. Arizona drafts Rosen no matter what. 

Now, if Josh Allen isn't selected by Buffalo, I think he makes it to Pittsburgh at the end of the first round, and I think they would take him.  On the other hand, I don't think they would have taken Watson if Allen isn't there, leaving Watson assuming he wasn't selected by Cincinnati to Baltimore at #32 and Lamar "apparently stats aren't for loser now" Jackson begins to go into freefall with so many QB needy teams having selected one.  There are a bunch of places Lamar Jackson could have ended up.  Either Cincinnati in round two, Pittsburgh in round two if they don't draft Josh Allen, New England in round two if their interest in him was anything more a smokescreen (I actually think it was), New York in the beginning of round three or Denver in round three if they didn't take Trubisky in round one. 

In the approximate order of where they were drafted:

1. Mayfield/Darnold

2. Darnold/Mayfield

3. Mitch Trubisky

4. Patrick Mahomes

5. Josh Allen

6. Josh Rosen

7. Deshaun Watson

8. Lamar Jackson

WITHOUT hindsight, my opinion of Watson was high last year, so I'd have picked him probably first overall. I wasn't as high on Mahomes as I am now, and I'm lower on Trubisky now that I see the team he is on but I liked him as no worse than middle first round guy.

Without hindsight:

1.  Darnold

2.  Rosen

BIG GAP

(I had this preference from last year)

3.  Mahomes

4.  Mayfield

5.  Watson

6.  Trubisky

GAP

7.  Allen (remember Allen was really raw last year)

Now?  Pretty much the same, except obviously Watson goes up, and that gap between Darnold/Rosen and the rest is smaller.   Now I'd probably go:

1.  Darnold

2.  Mahomes

3.  Watson

4.  Rosen

GAP (love all 4 above as my franchise)

5.  Mayfield

6.  Trubisky

GAP (OK with those 2 as my franchise)

7.   Allen

(Still terrified, ironically the highest physical ceiling....just the lowest floor). 

Ironically the guy in the 2018 class that's impressed me most to affect his placement as I've watched more film is Lamar Jackson (obviously Watson did the most in the 2017 class) - still not enough to crack the the top 7 post-draft (although if you factor in draft price, then yeah, Lamar easy #6 or even #5, if you are telling me I don't have to spend a 1st, but a 2nd and a 4th).   But my 2017 evaluation had him off this tier completely.

Trubisky would be my top guy in this year's class as well. I have no idea how this class got the hype it did. I think the Browns made the right call with Mayfield, and I think Mayfield will end up being a good but not great QB with an Eli Manning-type reputation. 

Darnold is Ryan Tannehill with way too much hype.

Rosen is undraftable with his Ryan Leaf/Jimmy Clausen personality. He will flame out in spectacular fashion. He's the most unlikeable QB I've ever seen. Before the 49ers got Jimmy, I was scouting the QBs and thought that on the field, he was probably the best of the rather unimpressive bunch. I watched his interviews trying to like him. I wanted to find just one time where he came across as not an unredeemable ******. Eventually, I gave up. He won't even hide it for 5 seconds. You can tell Trubisky is a "bro," but he plays the PC game in the media.

Josh Allen wasn't even good in college. I don't get how he even entered the radar.

Lamar Jackson should be converted to wide receiver.

From last year...Mahomes's style of play is hideous. Andy Reid could make anybody's grandmother look decent at QB, so Mahomes will probably be the next in a long line of QBs who somehow look passable under him. I don't know why Reid insists on hindering himself by never getting a real QB.

Watson looks good so far but I get the sense this is Russell Wilson 2. He's limited. 

As prospects I liked this class a lot better than last years. In tier list fashion.

T1. Mayfield, Darnold, Rosen (tempted to move Mayfield down but his analytics are so good across the board I'm keeping him here).

T2. Mahomes, Jackson, Trubisky 

T3. Allen (I really don't like him but he's a very rare tools guy, tempted to move him down)

T4. Watson ('noodle' arm + inaccurate + turnover machine).

Archived