Deshone Kizer Appreciation Thread

FGK

19 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

there goes the neighbourhood. 

Oh and the all blacks won 58-34

No doubt you dominate us in union, league on the other hand you'd think the warriors would do better than us considering you have a whole country to recruit from. 

Either way I stopped watching both sports when I fell in love with the american game of football. 

25 minutes ago, killin' it like ki7er said:

No doubt you dominate us in union, league on the other hand you'd think the warriors would do better than us considering you have a whole country to recruit from. 

Either way I stopped watching both sports when I fell in love with the american game of football. 

I don't watch the Warriors, the only person I know who does is @hornbybrown
My number 1 sports is the NFL. Cricket 2, rugby 3.

but welcome to the Forum, good to have another Southern hemisphere type here. (I didn't want to australasian)

PS I hope your username works out. 

PPS Go Browns. 

PPPS what part of Aussie do you live in? 

14 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

I don't watch the Warriors, the only person I know who does is @hornbybrown
My number 1 sports is the NFL. Cricket 2, rugby 3.

but welcome to the Forum, good to have another Southern hemisphere type here. (I didn't want to australasian)

PS I hope your username works out. 

PPS Go Browns. 

PPPS what part of Aussie do you live in? 

I'd say mine are 1.NFL 2. a toss up between NBA and soccer and 3. Tennis

Thank you kind sir for the welcome, I think we all hope the username does me well - if not perhaps a mod will be kind enough to change it? not sure if that's possible around these parts but I feel a lot more comfortable with this alias than if I had of joined a few years ago and went all manic for Manziel.

I'm between Brisbane and the Gold Coast currently but spent most of my adult life in Sydney and hope to return there soon.

Also hoping to visit NZ in the future to go snowboarding - it's ridiculous that it costs the same amount or less to fly to NZ and board for a week as opposed to just traveling a few hours south of sydney and doing it locally.

34 minutes ago, brooks1957 said:

Here's a good analysis of DeShone's Monday night against the Giants. I am really, really impressed with how he seems to self correct so quickly.

I completely. I thought if you look at the details of the game vs the giants he had a better game than what you expected when you saw it play out.

The one thing I like about him is his willing to stand in the pocket and look for the pass. I know it has lead to him getting sacked but I am glad he doesnt have happy feet at the moment. That he rather stand in the pocket, move a little bit, and keep his eyes down field. I do want him to get a feel when he has to escape the pocket to make a play like the Matt Ryan clip they had in the video posted.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2017/09/hue_jackson_on_deshone_kizer_t.html

Good article on Kizer's play Sunday.  What I absolutely love about this kid is his willingness to improve and his intelligence:

Like other coaches who have worked with Kizer, Jackson enjoys going to battle with the cerebral QB.

"When he comes off the field and he's able to go back and regurgitate to me what he saw from a coverage standpoint and where guys should be and where his eyes and his rhythm should've been, that's outstanding,'' said Jackson. "Sometimes it comes straight from him to me instead of me having to ask about it and then just watching him encourage the defensive players.''

I can't begin to tell you guys how important it is for a QB with great physical tools to have the immense desire to improve his skills as Kizer does.  Usually they feel they can just wing it and they subsequently never improve.  His intelligence is huge also.

I'm not ready to crown him yet as there is still a lot I need to see from him, but looks like he is on the right path!

20 years of frustration, sheesh.

Going on what @Bonanza23said. I remember listening to something about Kizer nd how he approaches the position. They compared him to Luck and how luck will memorize what needs to be done and will do exactly what the coaches ask from him. Where Kizer was said to be different in the way when the coaches told him something He would ask why and would want To understand exactly what the coaches want from him and question it so he would know it better 

17 hours ago, hornbybrown said:

Don't judge him to hard on today's game. Migraines are no joke, second game and vs a good D.

now this next stretch of games we need to see some steps forward 

Agree wholeheartedly. I'm coaching this year in the Central Valley in CA. We've had a couple games in really hot weather that's led to my kids getting bad headaches. Even once they're "feeling better", I've never had a single one play 100% once they start feeling symptoms and it's almost always concentration errors and mental mistakes that wreck them. I was surprised they even let him go back in the game honestly.

That said, assuming this isn't an enduring problem, I'm with you that it's in this next six-eight weeks that I want to see some real progress. I'm not expecting him to go full all-star on us, but I'd like to see him take fewer sacks, get rid of the ball quicker, and be a tad more consistent with his accuracy.

10 hours ago, freakygeniuskid said:

Agree wholeheartedly. I'm coaching this year in the Central Valley in CA. We've had a couple games in really hot weather that's led to my kids getting bad headaches. Even once they're "feeling better", I've never had a single one play 100% once they start feeling symptoms and it's almost always concentration errors and mental mistakes that wreck them. I was surprised they even let him go back in the game honestly.

That said, assuming this isn't an enduring problem, I'm with you that it's in this next six-eight weeks that I want to see some real progress. I'm not expecting him to go full all-star on us, but I'd like to see him take fewer sacks, get rid of the ball quicker, and be a tad more consistent with his accuracy.

This is the improvement that will happen

I think our running game comes together this week 

3 hours ago, Dawgpoun8017 said:

In perspective, the rookies that he has been around, lets see, Brandon Weeden, Brady Quinn, Johnny Manziel, Colt McCoy.  That statement sounds great, but in context its not saying a lot.  I think I am better prepared than those guys as a 43 year old out of shape dude.

15 hours ago, DizzyDean said:

In perspective, the rookies that he has been around, lets see, Brandon Weeden, Brady Quinn, Johnny Manziel, Colt McCoy.  That statement sounds great, but in context its not saying a lot.  I think I am better prepared than those guys as a 43 year old out of shape dude.

I don't think that's remotely fair. Most of those guys ended up being limited by things outside of their mental game. Weeden is a statue, Quinn's arm fell apart for no apparent reason, and Colt had a noodle arm from the beginning. Johnny is the only one you can point to and say, "that dude was not mentally prepared for this stuff."

Like, I'm not 100% sold on Kizer being the future, but this is a legit compliment from one of the greatest players in franchise history, who isn't one to gush for no reason, and there's no need to diss it in order to continue being on the fence about Kizer.

Archived