2018 Draft Eligible WR Thread

CalhounLambeau

38 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

Dat 3 cone

Sometimes, numbers lie. In Miller's case, they do not. He plays up to the athleticism. That kid is going to be a player on Sundays. He's not Kupp good as a route runner, but he's not far off. Both he and Ridley are quite talented in that regard. Miller is very unorthodox, which contrasts Ridley's very traditional approach. But there are so many nuances in Miller's route running that it's hard for me to envision him failing at the next level.

This wide receiver class, whilst a little thin at sure things at the top - is incredibly deep. I'm up to 48 that have received draftable grades at some point during the process. Anyone I've missed?

In no particular order:-

• Calvin Ridley [ WR ] Alabama
  • Courtland Sutton [ WR ] SMU
  • James Washington [ WR ] Oklahoma St.
  • D.J. Moore [ WR ] Maryland
  • Christian Kirk [ WR ] Texas A&M
  • Marcell Ateman [ WR ] Oklahoma St.
  • Michael Gallup [ WR ] Colorado St.
  • Auden Tate [ WR ] Florida St.
  • Anthony Miller [ WR ] Memphis
  • Equanimeous St. Brown [ WR ] Notre Dame
  • Deon Cain [ WR ] Clemson
  • Dante Pettis [ WR ] Washington
  • Cedrick Wilson [ WR ] Boise St.
  • D.J. Chark [ WR ] LSU
  • Tre’Quan Smith [ WR ] UCF
  • Justin Watson [ WR ] Penn
  • DaeSean Hamilton [ WR ] Penn St.
  • Trey Quinn [ WR ] SMU
  • Allen Lazard [ WR ] Iowa St.
  • Jordan Lasley [ WR ] UCLA
  • J’Mon Moore [ WR ] Missouri
  • Cam Phillips [ WR ] Va. Tech
  • Jake Wieneke [ WR ] S. Dak. St.
  • Jester Weah [ WR ] Pittsburgh
  • Darren Carrington II [ WR ] Utah
  • Simmie Cobbs [ WR ] Indiana
  • Deontay Burnett [ WR ] USC
  • Byron Pringle [ WR ] Kansas St.
  • Jaleel Scott [ WR ] New Mex. St.
  • Daurice Fountain [ WR ] N. Iowa
  • Jaylen Smith [ WR ] Louisville
  • Richie James [ WR ] Middle Tenn.
  • Braxton Berrios [ WR ] Miami (Fla.)
  • Antonio Callaway [ WR ] Florida
  • Dylan Cantrell [ WR ] Texas Tech
  • Keke Coutee [ WR ] Texas Tech
  • Robert Foster [ WR ] Alabama
  • Davon Grayson [ WR ] East Carolina
  • Quadree Henderson [ WR ] Pittsburgh
  • Chris Lacy [ WR ] Oklahoma St.
  • Russell Gage [ WR ] LSU
  • Tavares Martin [ WR ] Washington St.
  • Ray-Ray Mccloud [ WR ] Clemson
  • Steven Mitchell [ WR ] USC
  • Marquez Valdes-Scantling [ WR ] South Florida
  • Ka’Raun White [ WR ] West Virginia
  • Javon Wims [ WR ] Georgia
  • Korey Robertson [ WR ] Southern Miss

I see very little difference after Equanimeous Tristan Imhotep J. St. Brown.  Even he would be a 3rd round pick in a normal WR  draft.  This class is weak a'la 2006. 

It does not mean that one of these guys will surprise us like Antonio Brown but there is very little here if a team is looking for a #1 WR.

5 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Sometimes, numbers lie. In Miller's case, they do not. He plays up to the athleticism. That kid is going to be a player on Sundays. He's not Kupp good as a route runner, but he's not far off. Both he and Ridley are quite talented in that regard. Miller is very unorthodox, which contrasts Ridley's very traditional approach. But there are so many nuances in Miller's route running that it's hard for me to envision him failing at the next level.

Yup. This is absolutely a  case of a receiver's route-running acumen providing a high likelihood that he will earn a significant role early in his pro career, while his athleticism(both measured in drills and observed on the field) offers the promise of great upside.

I've seen him mocked as late as the early fourth round lately. I really don't see that happening, but he would be an astonishing value at that point.

23 minutes ago, mitch_connor said:

Yup. This is absolutely a  case of a receiver's route-running acumen providing a high likelihood that he will earn a significant role early in his pro career, while his athleticism(both measured in drills and observed on the field) offers the promise of great upside.

I've seen him mocked as late as the early fourth round lately. I really don't see that happening, but he would be an astonishing value at that point.

Kupp’s success last year probably keeps a Day 3 fall from happening.   Elite route running doesn’t get you into Rd1 if there are perceived athletic shortcomings (which I think are incorrect with him) but Day 2 seems like the sweet spot for the guys with ability to separate and win like Kupp and Miller do. 

10 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Kupp’s success last year probably keeps a Day 3 fall from happening.   Elite route running doesn’t get you into Rd1 if there are perceived athletic shortcomings (which I think are incorrect with him) but Day 2 seems like the sweet spot for the guys with ability to separate and win like Kupp and Miller do. 

I think I agree on all counts. "Good route runner" sometimes gets lazily used  as kind of a backhanded compliment for guys without any standout athletic traits;,almost like describing an ugly girl as having a "great personality"; but some guys with the "good route runner" label really do have the athleticism to maximize the separation advantage their technique affords them. Miller definitely falls into this category for me, and I have a hard time seeing him fall out of day two.

9 hours ago, jrry32 said:

To be frank, I don't put much stock into what Pauline says. He's never struck me in all my years of following the draft as a guy who is really on the ball. FWIW, here are Miller's "official" numbers:

Good stuff.

On 4/7/2018 at 4:28 AM, goldfishwars said:

This wide receiver class, whilst a little thin at sure things at the top - is incredibly deep. I'm up to 48 that have received draftable grades at some point during the process. Anyone I've missed?

No idea if a team takes a chance on him for day 3, but this sure caught my eye. Could be on the day 3 radar for a team that feels like he's worth taking a wild swing on....

Jonah Trinnaman / BYU

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/byu-cougars/2018/03/30/lightly-used-receiver-jonah-trinnaman-steals-the-show-at-byu-pro-day-with-blazing-speed-and-freakish-athleticism/

A seemingly forgotten former BYU receiver who had two so-so seasons in Provo naturally stole the show. 

That would be Jonah Trinnaman, the 6-foot, 190-pound speedster who showed that he just might have been criminally under used at BYU by posting some of the best numbers ever seen at this annual event at the Indoor Practice Facility on campus. Trinnaman clocked in with a sizzling 4.30 time in the 40-yard run then validated that with a 4.31 run a few minutes later. The fastest receiver at the NFL Combine last month (Trinnaman was not invited) ran a 4.34. Before his eye-popping 40 times, Trinnaman posted 12 feet in the broad jump and 40.5 inches in the standing vertical jump. Both measurements also would have been the best for a wide receiver at the combine.

I’m told his was clocked as fast as the mid-4.2’s in the 40 (fastest WR at the Combine ran a 4.34).

40.5” vert would have been No. 1 among WRs at the Combine.

Per source, the Bears had dinner with Trinnaman last night.

— Kevin Fishbain (@kfishbain) March 30, 2018

On 4/7/2018 at 9:59 AM, Broncofan said:

I like Miller but his durability issues really scare me as well

On 4/7/2018 at 7:14 AM, jebrick said:

I see very little difference after Equanimeous Tristan Imhotep J. St. Brown.  Even he would be a 3rd round pick in a normal WR  draft.  This class is weak a'la 2006. 

It does not mean that one of these guys will surprise us like Antonio Brown but there is very little here if a team is looking for a #1 WR.

It's weak at the top, there's no clear top-end talent in this WR class but it's a solid Day 2 draft for WRs and probably can get some good talent into Day 3.

He’s still the most talented WR in this class IMO.  But Callaway first testing with a dilute sample and then going the “over-hydrated” route?   OMG his stock could really tumble to Day 3 (or worse) now.   I could care less about weed but he needed to stay clear of trouble - not this.   SMH.  

Archived