The official training camp thread

MWil23

1 hour ago, Kiwibrown said:

Oakland defense sucks. 

Id love him on the team, I think he would have to be gone by the time Myles G contract came up. 

Yeah, not Mack's fault that they were 25th in sacks and 30th in passer rating against but it does show one superstar does not a defense make. If signing Mack made it difficult to resign Garrett, Ward if he is good, or other members of our defense it wouldn't be worth giving up much to get him. It could turn 2 high draft picks and a couple quality players into that and losing our own talent down the road for cap concerns.

I'm not worried about upgrading our DE's. Ogbah and Garrett are a formidable duo. Yeah Khalil Mack is a monster, but I'd rather spend the money and draft picks he'd cost to upgrade more pressing positions. I love our DE depth too. Smith, Nassib, and Frazier are all above average backups (IMO). I'm high on Frazier fwiw.

3 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

Mack could put us into cap hell. Don't get Mack. 

IDK about the timing but blowing mega $$$$ in the short term while we have it and then have it come off the books in 3-4 years when Garrett/Mayfield are ready to re-up. 

Any player that I see us having to pay big money to keep on this roster are still at least 3 years away from that. Why not front load the hell out of a Mack contract while we have the money to spend and have him come in? Its better than the idea people keep floating out there like getting OBJ and paying him/Landry big at the same position.

Plus, Gruden is a lunatic so maybe Macks cost to trade for him wont be as high as people believe if he feels like he is being strong armed or if he really likes a guy on our roster. I could see like Peppers/Schobert/2nd rounder

8 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

IDK about the timing but blowing mega $$$$ in the short term while we have it and then have it come off the books in 3-4 years when Garrett/Mayfield are ready to re-up. 

Any player that I see us having to pay big money to keep on this roster are still at least 3 years away from that. Why not front load the hell out of a Mack contract while we have the money to spend and have him come in? Its better than the idea people keep floating out there like getting OBJ and paying him/Landry big at the same position.

Plus, Gruden is a lunatic so maybe Macks cost to trade for him wont be as high as people believe if he feels like he is being strong armed or if he really likes a guy on our roster. I could see like Peppers/Schobert/2nd rounder

I tally agree, we can pay mack 25 million for two years and then 20 for one. 

8 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

I'm not worried about upgrading our DE's. Ogbah and Garrett are a formidable duo. Yeah Khalil Mack is a monster, but I'd rather spend the money and draft picks he'd cost to upgrade more pressing positions. I love our DE depth too. Smith, Nassib, and Frazier are all above average backups (IMO). I'm high on Frazier fwiw.

Formidable dou but a Mack and Garrett dou could be legendary. Then it makes Ogbah the best back up

only would need to sign him to a 4yr deal. 

Baker Ward are on rookie deals. So by the time the 4yr deal expires, Baker and Ward would still be on their rookie deal. 4-5years from now we would have no idea where the cap would be. You would assume it would be higher

a potential move like this is Doable becuase their isn’t a franchise QB contract on the book. If baker sees a 2nd contract, a move like this wouldn’t possible 

4 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Formidable dou but a Mack and Garrett dou could be legendary. Then it makes Ogbah the best back up

Baker Ward are on rookie deals. So by the time the 4yr deal expires, Baker and Ward would still be on their rookie deal. 4-5years from now we would have no idea where the cap would be. You would assume it would be higher

a potential move like this is Doable becuase their isn’t a franchise QB contract on the book. If baker sees a 2nd contract, a move like this wouldn’t possible 

Pretty much this.

Taylor’s 16 comes off the books after next year, Zeitler’s would be off the books, Bitonio nearing the end of his deal, Collins and Kirksey too.

Our “big money” guys would be nearing 30 or over as have small cap hits if needed to be cut.  

I wouldn’t let money stop us from getting Mack.

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Pretty much this.

Taylor’s 16 comes off the books after next year, Zeitler’s would be off the books, Bitonio nearing the end of his deal, Collins and Kirksey too.

Our “big money” guys would be nearing 30 or over as have small cap hits if needed to be cut.  

I wouldn’t let money stop us from getting Mack.

Nope and it potential makes our defense have elite ability of getting after the QB. It would really help a young QB like baker. 

2 hours ago, buno67 said:

To be honest, if we had Mack, I would feel much more comfortable in a 3-4 scheme, so I'm not sure he would make Ogbah a backup.  

If we did stay in the 4-3, similar to what Denver did in 2014,  I could see Mack playing the SLB like Miller did, with Garrett and Ogbah and at ends.

It wouldn't be terrible expensive because we would have to replace one of our Linebackers so I'm pretty sure you would end up with Kirksey Will, JoeSho or Avery Middle and Mack at Sam so Collins contract would be gone if you were investing in Mack.

Regardless, not going to complain about filling our roster with talent...

16 minutes ago, CBrownsman said:

To be honest, if we had Mack, I would feel much more comfortable in a 3-4 scheme, so I'm not sure he would make Ogbah a backup.  

If we did stay in the 4-3, similar to what Denver did in 2014,  I could see Mack playing the SLB like Miller did, with Garrett and Ogbah and at ends.

It wouldn't be terrible expensive because we would have to replace one of our Linebackers so I'm pretty sure you would end up with Kirksey Will, JoeSho or Avery Middle and Mack at Sam so Collins contract would be gone if you were investing in Mack.

A 3-4? Why? That makes no sense to me given our roster makeup. And playing Khalil Mack at SLB would be dumb given the talent we already have at OLB. All a 3-4 would do is get Ogbah, Garrett, and Mack on the field at the same time--something that can be accomplished in any defense without having to suffer the consequences of another scheme change. We have no NT, which is the most important piece of a 3-4.

1 hour ago, CBrownsman said:

I don’t know if I can watch us switch defenses yet again. We have to stick with something. It’s a revolving door between 4-3 and 3-4 every two years.

Archived