• Jake Ryan
    • Kenny Clark
    • Bryan Bulaga
    • Martellus Bennet
    • Davante Adams
    • Ty Montgomery
    • Clay Matthews

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

The Packers aren't going anywhere with Fackrell/Elliott at EDGE. We're talking importance to the team, not who is the best. 

Perry also averaged .37 sacks a game without Matthews and .95 with him. The defensive numbers in those 4 games without Clay were attrocious.

That implies Clay had much to do with Perry's production but if you go watch his highlights even in games Clay played in that wasn't really the case nor was he even on the field for all of Perry's sacks in games they both played in.  Actually if you watch Clay's sacks early in the year a couple of them actually came off QBs running away from Perry.

18 hours ago, incognito_man said:

I'm not a big supporter of Clay by any means, but he's got to be, by far, the most underrated player on here now.

Our defense is so much better with a healthy Clay Matthews.

As long as he keeps getting undeserved credit for the production of better players I don't think he's too underrated.

4 hours ago, incognito_man said:
5 hours ago, Ketchup said:

How is that irrelevant? Clay has zero importance when he's not on the field. His importance absolutely goes down when he's injured as well because he's not the same impact player.

This doesn't make any sense. A players' importance doesn't change relative to their health. If he is injured, his importance to the team manifests itself, it doesn't change.

Sure it can. How does your importance not start to drop when you are never the caliper player you should be because you are always injured? When was the last time Clay was actually an impact/top pass rusher? The best he's looked in the past 3-4 years has been when he was playing inside. 

On 8/15/2017 at 0:05 PM, Stevein2012 said:

That implies Clay had much to do with Perry's production but if you go watch his highlights even in games Clay played in that wasn't really the case nor was he even on the field for all of Perry's sacks in games they both played in.  Actually if you watch Clay's sacks early in the year a couple of them actually came off QBs running away from Perry.

Found this 7 minute Perry highlights from last year video. Not all are sacks. 

Just had to look closely to see myself and thought I'd share since we're obviously not gonna go watch all the games again haha

Forgot to link

On 8/15/2017 at 4:07 PM, Ketchup said:

Sure it can. How does your importance not start to drop when you are never the caliper player you should be because you are always injured? When was the last time Clay was actually an impact/top pass rusher? The best he's looked in the past 3-4 years has been when he was playing inside. 

I don't get why my point is difficult to understand. Right now Matthews is fully healthy. A fully healthy Matthews is important to our defense. Our defense is better (likely significantly so) with a healthy Matthews. His health is important to our success. Therefore, Matthews is very important to our team. If Rodgers were to get injured this year he isn't less important to our success next year...

2 hours ago, incognito_man said:

I don't get why my point is difficult to understand. Right now Matthews is fully healthy. A fully healthy Matthews is important to our defense. Our defense is better (likely significantly so) with a healthy Matthews. His health is important to our success. Therefore, Matthews is very important to our team. If Rodgers were to get injured this year he isn't less important to our success next year...

I'm not having difficulty understanding your point, I just disagree with it. Why would we rank Matthews as fully healthy when he never stays that way and his play on the field drops significantly when he's even just a little banged up? I also feel you are overrating even a healthy Matthews at this point in his career. Probably going to have to go the agree to disagree route here. 

yeah, I think it's a little bit fair to view Matthews as "not a whole"  you're expecting to lose him for a few games minimum, and you're expecting some of the games he plays to be mediocre because he'll be banged up.

Matthews has huge upside if he can play 14+ games in a healthy manner.  

That said, he's still a top player on this D, and I'd put him at 3 because he can end games with 1-2 plays.

On 13/8/2017 at 1:26 PM, AlexGreen#20 said:

Who is the 7th most important player on the Packers? The guy who it would be most devastating to lose to injury.

Why are some people saying Clay is less important because he is often injured when the OP asks precisely that? I can't understand how both our OLBs aren't top 5 at least (top 3 for me) when the backups are Elliott, Fackrell, Biegel and Gilbert.

To put it another way, if I was given the power to guarantee the health of 3 Packers for the season I'd choose Rodgers, Clay and Perry.

This was a toss up between Matthews and Bulaga for me, and in the end I went with Bulaga. Keeping player number one (AR) healthy is paramount. Kyle Murphy and Jason Spriggs haven't shown me enough to be comfortable if BB wen down. 

I voted Martellus because I have issues with reading all multiple choice answers. I think Clay is the choice, not because he's the rusher he once was but because the drop-off behind him looks pretty big right now. He's still an extremely heady player who's dangerous from all over the front.

16 hours ago, Packer_ESP said:

Why are some people saying Clay is less important because he is often injured when the OP asks precisely that? I can't understand how both our OLBs aren't top 5 at least (top 3 for me) when the backups are Elliott, Fackrell, Biegel and Gilbert.

To put it another way, if I was given the power to guarantee the health of 3 Packers for the season I'd choose Rodgers, Clay and Perry.

Hello kindred spirit.

21 hours ago, Ketchup said:

I'm not having difficulty understanding your point, I just disagree with it. Why would we rank Matthews as fully healthy when he never stays that way and his play on the field drops significantly when he's even just a little banged up? I also feel you are overrating even a healthy Matthews at this point in his career. Probably going to have to go the agree to disagree route here. 

I agree with both sides almost entirely.

When Matthews is on, he's a game wrecker. But his availability/durability has been a serious concern. 

That said, you take away the cheap shot on him in 2016 and I bet our defense looks a hell of a lot different down the stretch

Archived