EPL Thread

SalvadorsDeli

9 hours ago, Dr LBC said:

I mean, you should IMO (I don't really rate Tottenham that highly - this is actually loyalty-biases aside, I think they benefit from having 2 world class forwards, 1 of which gets phenomenal leeway given to him by referees   as all starting forwards for the English national team have in the PL historically, and otherwise they play predictable/boring-AF football), but this is based off what?  I don't see the window/spending Chelsea have done to be the sort that should assure CL qualification in a season where a quality manager was discarded early on because they were perceived to have fallen off "championship pace."  Welcome to the club Arsenal have been in for a spell now where bankrolls don't guarantee CL qualification.

and the other is a shadow of his former self.

Spurs look trash

• Like 1

On 10/31/2022 at 6:23 AM, Dr LBC said:

I mean, you should IMO (I don't really rate Tottenham that highly - this is actually loyalty-biases aside, I think they benefit from having 2 world class forwards, 1 of which gets phenomenal leeway given to him by referees   as all starting forwards for the English national team have in the PL historically, and otherwise they play predictable/boring-AF football), but this is based off what?  I don't see the window/spending Chelsea have done to be the sort that should assure CL qualification in a season where a quality manager was discarded early on because they were perceived to have fallen off "championship pace."  Welcome to the club Arsenal have been in for a spell now where bankrolls don't guarantee CL qualification.

This squad is more than good enough to get top 4. It’s a better squad than last years one. There are at least two spaces up for grabs here. Spurs are a very flawed team and have shown against the top teams that they don’t even compare at all. United are transitioning. There is no reason why this team shouldn’t get top 4. That is not a hard ask at all.Newcastle are a dark horse and look promising but yet to see if they can sustain this over a season. Spending £300m in one transfer window and not getting top 4 is disastrous 

On 10/26/2022 at 1:05 PM, Dr LBC said:

Strikes me as a confidence issue; most evident in him taking those extra 1-2 touches before missing his shot on a brilliant ball from MO on Sunday.  An confident, in-form striker (look no further than Haaland) takes that shot regardless of distance as soon as it's played to him and he sees the window; Jesus took the extra touches - a bit in his own head, I think.  He's in a similar situation to where I believe Saka was earlier this season, once he pops a hole/crack in the dyke the flood will come, but it's getting that elusive goal, by hook or by crook, that's going to be the trick.

I kind of agree with this. FWIW I think his match against Forrest was great, and he's doing what he's supposed to be doing, always in the box, 7 shots on goal and created a ton of opportunities for others, always being super physical. His finish just wasn't there. But if keeps up games like that, goals will come. Probably in bunches too like you said. I don't think he'll ever be a 30+ goal striker, but then again I don't think that's what we need him to be given our surrounding players and system this year. 

I mean, were just a tad behind City in total goals and our striker isn't firing on all cylinders. As an arsenal fan it makes me giggle. That's not a bad spot to be in. 

Just now, NickButera said:

FWIW His match against Forrest was great, and he's doing what he's supposed to be doing, 7 shots on goal and created a ton of opportunities for others. His finish just wasn't there. But if keeps up games like that, goals will come. Probably in bunches too. I don't think he'll ever be a 30 goal striker, but then again I don't think that's what we need him to be given our surrounding players and system this year. 

I mean, were just a tad behind City in total goals and our striker isn't firing on all cylinders. As an arsenal fan it makes me giggle. That's not a bad spot to be in. 

Honestly, the fact that he's still making the goal-producing contributions that he is without being the finisher makes me feel more secure about his situation.  He is eventually going to crack the dam, and given that the side is still collecting points and (by-and-large) winning even with him not slotting home the goals on the regular, when he does break the drought and start slotting them in regularly, he'll be in a position to carry the team when maybe/likely one of the others that have be major contributors at present are slumping.

On 10/31/2022 at 8:55 AM, Hunter2_1 said:

Spurs look trash

I'll be perfectly honest (and I'm also being entirely too lazy to go back and do an actual statistical analysis of if this has actually been anything resembling a measurable trend in the past), but I have to wonder - if England do crash out of the WC ahead of where-expected (which I would presume expectations in-England to be at least the semi's and outside-England to be around the QF's) because... let's face it, Southgate is a visibly limited coach and has gotten the most that he is capable of getting out of this squad - whether the PGMOL-bias which Spurs are currently enjoying (which every English captain and "England's #10" has enjoyed going back to, at minimum, Alan Shearer) dries up and that ends up as the catalyst to Conte's boys coming quickly back down to earth (though depending on the severity of this Son injury, that may be the initial catalyst).

8 hours ago, Dr LBC said:

I'll be perfectly honest (and I'm also being entirely too lazy to go back and do an actual statistical analysis of if this has actually been anything resembling a measurable trend in the past), but I have to wonder - if England do crash out of the WC ahead of where-expected (which I would presume expectations in-England to be at least the semi's and outside-England to be around the QF's) because... let's face it, Southgate is a visibly limited coach and has gotten the most that he is capable of getting out of this squad - whether the PGMOL-bias which Spurs are currently enjoying (which every English captain and "England's #10" has enjoyed going back to, at minimum, Alan Shearer) dries up and that ends up as the catalyst to Conte's boys coming quickly back down to earth (though depending on the severity of this Son injury, that may be the initial catalyst).

Maybe, but I put a lot of their woes down to a) Son being about 30% of what he was last season, and b) they're so deep, man. So so deep. They defend basically in the GK' lap. I don't know where Conte's got this from, because Chelsea were far more pro-active in defending. It might be because he doesn't trust the squad he has to press, I dunno. Kane's always going to get his goals as long as he can still play and run.

The foul for the penalty on DeBruyne was legit.  That said, Fulham are morons; the legit only thing that made that a bang-on PK was that it occurred in the box, EVERYTHING else about it would have give the referee scope to deny the PK (facing away from goal, clearly reacted to contact rather than actually affected by contact, etc.).

• Like 1

Losing to Arsenal is always toughest defeat to take.

Never have I seen a chelsea team in a big game look so toothless and incompetent. Arteta has beaten us at the bridge 3 times in a row and in the previous two I could attribute to just terrible defensive mistakes digging us a hole. Not this game. Arsenal made us look like we didn’t belong on the same pitch. Potter, like Tuchel, is in a difficult spot but he sure doesn’t help himself with his passivity and selections. 

Missed alot the last few weeks being away.

Forest 1-3-2 last 6.  Dont know whats happening with Liverpool. But take away that game. And Forest has been drawing the middle of the pack squads, while getting blown out by top teams.

Id say the formula is to keep pushing for draws. Go into the next trade window grabbing an additional 20 guys in hopes 1 has talent.

Arsenal though..... Never expected such a drastic leap forward by so many young players. Theyre being coached up proper. Killer job by that entire staff.

On 10/31/2022 at 11:55 AM, Hunter2_1 said:

Spurs look trash

Theyve sailed on beyond trash for the time being. Forest just went up 2-0.

But Liverpool is in the 2nd half and havent been able to do anything against League 1 Derby County. Still 0-0.  So it evens out.

Forest held on 2-0 while playing the last 20 mins a man down due to a red.

Tot fans should be concerned. Forest nabbed 4x the shots on goal. Same Forest that just lost 5-0 to an Arsenal that could have netted more. While the Tots had a man advantage for over 1/5th of the game and could still do nothing.

On 11/9/2022 at 4:22 PM, PARROTHEAD said:

Forest held on 2-0 while playing the last 20 mins a man down due to a red.

Tot fans should be concerned. Forest nabbed 4x the shots on goal. Same Forest that just lost 5-0 to an Arsenal that could have netted more. While the Tots had a man advantage for over 1/5th of the game and could still do nothing.

Ultimately this is Conte ball, and it's why I'm thankful that for all the Arsenal supporters who coveted Conte that we went another direction - the style and what Arsenal had at time of Emery-to-Arteta bridge simply wouldn't have meshed (legitimately, the only thing that worked was our, then, 30+ year old captain/striker).

I'm just hoping, at this point, that Tottenham do poorly enough that they fall from consideration of a player like Maddison in the summer (which will probably take them qualifying no higher than the Conference League - not likely - or Leicester refusing to sell because of the relatively-certain departure of Tielemans on a free, and them not wanting to disintegrate their midfield).

In terms of Arsenal, there's a part of me that loves the fit of Mudryk.  And another part of me that looks at the likely price of Mudryk and thinks, "Why not just blow that kind of money on Liao in the summer?" unless he has the WC from Heaven...