EPL Thread

SalvadorsDeli

53 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

Boehly & Co. really showing that they don’t and never understood football. And now their stubbornness is keeping Potter employed. The amount of missteps they’ve made is actually unbelievable.

The timing of their managerial change was just so stupid given who the person they brought in.

Potter has a high demanding system that requires player buy-in, and takes time to implement. Bringing him in mid-season with games every 3/4 days (so no real time to work on system) was just mind-boggling stupid.

Whether it's right or not, players will definitely look at the fact Potter hasn't achieved anything as a Manager or a player (relatively speaking, obviously) and thus Potter would always have needed a Summer to get that buy-in from players.

Instead, they bring him in half way through the season and expect him to just bring the same style of play he had at Brighton, whilst also bringing in so many players without going through the Manager to do so.

It's a mess. United got slaughtered for bringing in Rangnick last season but they did it to avoid this exact scenario. They knew the new manager needed a philosophical AND cultural overhaul; neither of which can be effectively done with a mid-season hire.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

The timing of their managerial change was just so stupid given who the person they brought in.

Potter has a high demanding system that requires player buy-in, and takes time to implement. Bringing him in mid-season with games every 3/4 days (so no real time to work on system) was just mind-boggling stupid.

Whether it's right or not, players will definitely look at the fact Potter hasn't achieved anything as a Manager or a player (relatively speaking, obviously) and thus Potter would always have needed a Summer to get that buy-in from players.

Instead, they bring him in half way through the season and expect him to just bring the same style of play he had at Brighton, whilst also bringing in so many players without going through the Manager to do so.

It's a mess. United got slaughtered for bringing in Rangnick last season but they did it to avoid this exact scenario. They knew the new manager needed a philosophical AND cultural overhaul; neither of which can be effectively done with a mid-season hire.

I mean he didn’t come in mid season, he came in September like 7 games into the league season. But yeah, I agree somewhat. 

This season was supposedly a write off and Potter wouldn’t have been judged had he not made the champions league so that means if the expectations for this year and the pressure was off then why was everything so rushed? Also why was Potter so pigeon holed as THE guy? What has he accomplished to make him the right person for this job? It always struck me that guys who didn’t know much about football would all of a sudden know a lot of him to be that comfortable to appoint him and to give Him and almost unprecedented contract for a manager. 

Like you said if they had known potter in his previous stints they’d know that he worked with much smaller squads, lesser quality players and did so playing one game a week which is completely different to Chelsea. Instead the ownership did the opposite and thought it would work. And I could go on about their other missteps too. Potter has been bad and he’s out of his depth but the ownership have not helped him.

11 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

This is really it.  It's not that Potter is a bad manager, but he wasn't really a fit for a Chelsea side that felt they were ready to compete in the title race now AND wanted to establish a long-term culture and self-sustaining system.  Potter's system is good and he knows how to build - whether he's able to do that with Boehly demanding big ticket highly-marketable names every window is another question entirely - but he needs to be given the time and leeway to do things his way; not too dissimilar to Arteta.  And Potter was already handicapped from the start because he was coming in with several players in the dressing room who had already proven, at Chelsea and at their previous clubs, that they didn't fit the culture he wants to instill (looking directly at you for an example, Auba).

• Like 1

Work was horrendous yesterday. A cocktail of City and Liverpool fans giving it to me all day.

Not that they believed me, but I'm just not anywhere near as in the dumps as what United twitter 

I get it. My brother-in-law is from Huyton - he's been giving me grief relentlessly pretty much since the 4th goal went in. That said - this sort of thing is just going to happen for a team in a cultural transition. Let's not forget, the vast majority of this squad were part of the shambles last year. That rancid culture doesn't just disappear overnight. They quit yesterday. No ifs, buts, maybes. They quit.

I have faith that Ten Hag will make them feel the shame they should do, and I (along with the other 76,000 in attendance on Thursday) will be expecting a bounce back on Thursday against Betis.

It's not a linear journey out of the disarray United were in last season. I just wish it wasn't Liverpool that this would happen against ...

Edited by lomaxgrUK

13 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Work was horrendous yesterday. A cocktail of City and Liverpool fans giving it to me all day.

Not that they believed me, but I'm just not anywhere near as in the dumps as what United twitter 

I get it. My brother-in-law is from Huyton - he's been giving me grief relentlessly pretty much since the 4th goal went in. That said - this sort of thing is just going to happen for a team in a cultural transition. Let's not forget, the vast majority of this squad were part of the shambles last year. That rancid culture doesn't just disappear overnight. They quit yesterday. No ifs, buts, maybes. They quit.

I have faith that Ten Hag will make them feel the shame they should do, and I (along with the other 76,000 in attendance on Thursday) will be expecting a bounce back on Thursday against Betis.

It's not a linear journey out of the disarray United were in last season. I just wish it wasn't Liverpool that this would happen against ...

Im with you. MU and Newcastle with their recent losses. Both fanbases seem pretty grounded to me in that this is a building year. Not a title chase year. Even at r/Reddevils and r/M...U... Ive yet to see anyone fly off the handle. And its the right way to handle this season.

7-0 to a rival is bad. But with this Glazer bunch. If I was an MU fan, my focus would be more on the future care of the club and facilities than a single loss. Cause atm Im 60/40 that theyll be staying.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Cause atm Im 60/40 that theyll be staying.

Hard to know what to believe once negotiations start. Glazers (well, Joel and Avram) are clearly putting stuff in the media to say they are willing to stay. But is that just to drive up the price more?

5 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Hard to know what to believe once negotiations start. Glazers (well, Joel and Avram) are clearly putting stuff in the media to say they are willing to stay. But is that just to drive up the price more?

Chelsea battle and the massive overpay for the club is the type action they were hoping for. But they stirred up 2 whales with common sense that refuse a repeat of that sale. So Im not seeing how theyll be able to drive the price up any without a new bidder to help stir the pot. The stock alone has lost over a billion in value the past couple weeks. Seems the Glazers are currently hurting themselves with delays and no clearcut exit.

On 3/8/2023 at 3:27 AM, lomaxgrUK said:

Huge fan of Kieran Maguire. He had a great thread going on Twitter today I think youd enjoy. 6 tweets long. (I kinda geek out on stuff like this)