Random Thoughts

AnAngryAmerican

13 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

The problem with tanking here is the line crossed - it’s a massive no-no on the field, in-game.  GM’s do it and teams do it pre-game and players know the score.  It’s part of the business.    You can sit guys pre-game, you can decide to go younger etc.     But once the game starts - players & coaches go all out to win the game.   That’s always the MO.     The moment they don’t - locker room whispers start.   

PHI wins early & often next year, then this gets forgotten.   But if they are slow out of the gate - the players will remember this.   You can’t ask guys to play their guts out like that - then rip their hearts out like that in-game with a Sudfeld / Hurts change.   Sudfeld isn’t even signed for 2021.   And they have seen him for 4 years.   It’s why the GM decided to draft Hurts Rd2 in the first place.  That’s a complete joke of an angle.   And the sideline shots of the OL showed they knew it too.  

I’m very comfortable calling this a tank job, but just like acknowledging the Giants make the playoffs if they aren’t a terrible team this season, Hurts also doesn’t get the hook if he wasn’t playing terribly. His poor play gave Pederson the cover needed to yank him. 

On 1/2/2021 at 6:53 AM, jsthomp2007 said:

has anyone here ever been charged by and attacked by a mouse?

Yes. We have four cats and in all their escapades there was one mouse that totally abused them all physically and me mentally. That mouse had a MF charmin’ personality and it was probably a Green Mile-esque sin to flush  it once finally captured. Too many diseases in NM. 

7 minutes ago, Counselor said:

One stat that is really underrated is Risner didn’t give up a sack or commit a penalty this season. 

And he was hurt for a good part of the season.  

Whether or not Lock works out, the best thing we can say about Elway & 2019's draft right now without reservation is that he was smart enough not to pass on Fant and then Risner for Lock.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Yeah those Patriot Way guys just keep collecting Super Bowl rings everywhere they go. 

So you aren't impressed with Vrabel, or Flores at all? I mean I get your drift but only one team wins the superbowl annually.

I feel like Joe Judge is good too. 

You usually can sniff out the bad ones like I soured on Josh when he was clebrating a regular season game like it was a superbowl. And Patricia I never bought into him. 

I think I liked Crennel though didn't pan out. 

10 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

If Chargers hire Brian Daboll we're in serious trouble

9 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Yeah those Patriot Way guys just keep collecting Super Bowl rings everywhere they go. 

To be fair, Daboll has 4 things that make him different from the usual BB disciple failed coaching tree guys:

1.  He's actually been an OC with success away from TB12's shadow.   What he's done in BUF the last 2 years is remarkable.   And it's not just relying on 1 gimmick - he adjusts the O to exploit different matchups.   Witness Isiaih McKenzie's 3 TD's last week.  Other weeks it's Allen running in the RZ....other weeks it's the WR screen, or TE eligible flat passes.   He's the rare OC who doesn't just try the same old, same old - but looks at what the opposition D gives him on film, and tailors his team's strengths to exploit it.   

2.  Unlike Patricia, Crennel, and O'Brien - he's also spent significant time away from BB before joining the HC road.   That IMO is a huge difference.   He's spent time with Nick Saban in Alabama, and now 3 years with Sean McDermott (and thus also with GM Brandon Beane for 3 years now).   It isn't just the Patriot Way.   This IMO is a huge benefit. 

3.  Not being a DC in NE, he's far more likely to have been less of a "name-only" coordinator.    BB has been the D mastermind there.    To a lesser extent, TB12 is the O mind, but that's also why Daboll's time in BUF allows that concern to fade (as opposed to Josh McDaniels - whose time away from TB12 this year, let's just say it's raised Q's on just how much was the pairing of TB12, and how much was TB12's talent).

4.  Finally, Daboll's personality isn't at authoritarian, by all accounts in BUF.   That alone sets him apart from BB's style - unlike O'Brien & Patricia, who adopted this style - without the track record to make this palatable.  You can be the BB demi-god because you're the GOAT HC - rookie HC's with no credibility already in place, not so much.

The reason why I'm interested in BB disciples - Brian Flores (rightfully getting COTY favorite talk) & Joe Judge (jury's out) are changing the perception of being a BB disciple.   Judge hasn't done enough yet to call it a success, but much like Flores year 1, he's making progress with a bad team (and frankly, a limited O).   Flores' work in MIA has been spectacular.   I will note that Judge was a ST and WR coach - so very different than the classic failed BB disciples, too.  So I've been looking at what might make them different...hence the thoughts above.

Daboll is the most different HC candidate than the usual BB disciple, and he's got the longest track record away from BB as an OC....that alone has me very intrigued with him, and willing to view him differently.   His work with Josh Allen, and his OC adaptability the past 2 years is just so damn impressive.    Now, we've seen great co-ordinators fail miserably as HC's (cough Fangio DC to HC, and Wade Phillips too cough) - so there's no guarantee.    But I'd be all over Daboll as a great HC candidate for what LAC needs (I also think Eric Bienemy fits their needs there too a ton).   

Either way, going from Anthony Lynn to a bright O mind...it's bad news for us.   Jason Garrett would be a blessing for us, but that's unlikely.    If it's Daboll or Bienemy, or Arthur Smith - pairing them with Herbert, man, I don't see that as good for DEN at all.    Getting rid of Lynn and his league-worst game management is a huge W for LAC - getting a bright O mind to pair with Herbert could really set them up for sustained contention, with their D already talented (but injured a lot).   

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1