Random Thoughts

AnAngryAmerican

23 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

I was thinking about (a variation of) this the other day. I preferred Jeudy over CeeDee Lamb in the draft because of his route-running. Lamb’s more of a backyard baller. I wonder how much better Lock’s style would jive with Lamb’s.

Yeah its interesting. I preferred Jeudy as well, and still think he’s the more complete receiver. But after watching the two this season I can’t help but wonder the same thing. Stylistically, Lamb seems to be more up Lock’s alley. 

https://www.9news.com/article/sports/nfl/denver-broncos/mike-klis/broncos-mailbag-will-von-miller-return-in-2021/73-67a2b7bc-0ccd-43c5-8621-bc6e301b6ea1

Interesting Klis mailbag w/ two interesting points on Von

(1) It’s unlikely Von is on roster in 2021 w/o a paycut and (2) It doesn’t appear, at this time, like Von will be receptive.

41 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Great pass rushers usually play at a high level into their 30s. I hope the can get a fair extension done that makes him a Bronco for his remaining relevant years while not breaking the bank. 

Agreed.  I get why Denver can’t and why Von wouldn’t accept a pay cut.  Miller’s the best defensive player this franchise has ever had.  As a fan it would be awesome to keep him a Bronco for his entire career.

1 hour ago, germ-x said:

Agreed.  I get why Denver can’t and why Von wouldn’t accept a pay cut.  Miller’s the best defensive player this franchise has ever had.  As a fan it would be awesome to keep him a Bronco for his entire career.

Brandon Graham is the only elite edge rusher to get a big contract after their 30th bday lately, and he got $27M (all guaranteed) over 3 years. At 32 years old, I can’t imagine Von turning down $25-28M over two years. 

They are a great story but also pretty clear MIA would be far better off playing Fitzmagic over Tua.   What an insane comeback.  

Sadly also adds a huge asterisk to our W over them.   They play Fitz for an entire game seems fair to think their O puts up enough pts to win.   Flores has to see that now.   Next week it’s got to be Fitzmagic.    It doesn’t mean Tua is a bust - but he just isn’t as ready as Fitz is to help them win now.  

51 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

They are a great story but also pretty clear MIA would be far better off playing Fitzmagic over Tua.   What an insane comeback.  

Sadly also adds a huge asterisk to our W over them.   They play Fitz for an entire game seems fair to think their O puts up enough pts to win.   Flores has to see that now.   Next week it’s got to be Fitzmagic.    It doesn’t mean Tua is a bust - but he just isn’t as ready as Fitz is to help them win now.  

It’s honestly a tough situation. Fitz is a little better right now, but it would be a great time to get Tua some high pressure NFL reps, too. It’s not like he’s playing poorly! Flores and the front office has to decide just how seriously they view themselves as contenders this season.

Could also be viewed as a good motivational tactic to keep Tua benched. Depends on his personality. 

10 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

It’s honestly a tough situation. Fitz is a little better right now, but it would be a great time to get Tua some high pressure NFL reps, too. It’s not like he’s playing poorly! Flores and the front office has to decide just how seriously they view themselves as contenders this season.

Could also be viewed as a good motivational tactic to keep Tua benched. Depends on his personality. 

Tua threw for 92 yards....on 22 attempts.  He's holding on to the ball way too long, 2 of the 3 sacks were totally on him.   He was similarly awful vs. us, Fitz came in and almost brought them back. 

Tua's good enough to win vs. lesser teams, or when the D puts up +2 or better TO's (or better yet, scores like they did with LAR 2x, and ran it back to 1-yard line the other TO).  When it's similar competition, or an O that keeps the ball secure - he's a massive liability right now.   Fitz may only be a little better, but it's literally the margin between being ahead & coming back (against us, Fitz had them in the RZ for the tying TD, but again, you put him in there all game long).

None of the above means that Tua is a failure - but he's just not ready yet.    No offseason to train with the teammates, he was doing rehab work with the hip - and then no TC, and limited reps.   An offseason will do him a world of good.

If the Phish go in with Tua as the starter come playoff time, they're 1 and done.    With Fitz and their skill guys, he makes it work.  Tua's the long-term answer - but that doesn't mean he's the guy who gives MIA the best shot to win now.  Right now, it's Fitz.

Next offseason will be fascinating IMO - Fitz has clearly played himself into another 2/25 type caretaker type deal - will MIA pay it so he can be Tua's insurance policy & mentor?   If not, the team drafting Fields/Lance should be all over him.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Broncofan said:

It's crazy that he committed to This for next week already. I mean it has to be coming from ownership. I think players will lose some respect if they don't play the guy that gives them the best chance.

Good thing about that qb dynamic is it's not toxic they both love each other. You can tell there's no leash rn.

I also wonder if the prep is different going from south paw to right hander. I mean that does seem like it presence a problem unless I'm just overthinking it.

1 hour ago, broncosfan_101 said:

I feel like Gruden made the right call with the FG on 4th down, instead of getting the TD on 3rd. But I’m not sure. Anyone know what the analytics say? What’s worse for the Dolphins there: needing a FG with 20 seconds left, or needing a TD with 60 seconds left?

I hated jadcobs falling down I totally would prefer needing a td scored to lose

• Like 1