Random Thoughts

AnAngryAmerican

What annoyed me at the Von contract of the time is right after the Superbowl his value waa never higher. Most of us knew we had a gem in Barrett. 

We could of gotten a bounty for Von and accelerated this rebuild an retained Shaq. I never get why Front offices get so sentimental. I get it from a fan perspective but moves like this not made I just never got.

Did Todd Bolls show how to beat Mahomes? It seems a vary good front four, and a stellar MLB is needed. I'm not sure who got SB MVP, but thought Devin White should have gotten it if he didnt...dude was in on every tackle.

Maybe Watson isn't the answer...maybe getting Parsons to play the middle is the keye along with securing that DL front??

• Like 1

Barrett has one season with more than 10 sacks ffs come on every GM alive and dead picks Von over Barrett even if your a massive homer like AAA. Not to say Barrett isn’t a good player and we should’ve kept him but when Von’s contract came up Barrett was still under contract for another few seasons so to say we picked one over the other can’t be true nor did we pick Ray over Barrett. We did choose Chubb to replace Barrett though. 

There’s no arguing Barrett should’ve been kept and should’ve been starting over Ray but he did start 9 games in 2017 and only had 4 sacks so while he did always show potential he didn’t show that he would be a 19.5 sack guy and let’s see him get back to 10 sacks in a season before we crown his ***. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jsthomp2007 said:

Did Todd Bolls show how to beat Mahomes? It seems a vary good front four, and a stellar MLB is needed. I'm not sure who got SB MVP, but thought Devin White should have gotten it if he didnt...dude was in on every tackle.

Maybe Watson isn't the answer...maybe getting Parsons to play the middle is the keye along with securing that DL front??

Need really athletic ILB’s who can stick with Kelce but do need a QB who can actually take advantage of the Chiefs having an off game offensively IE the first game with he Chiefs that Lock left points off the board.

3 hours ago, jsthomp2007 said:

Being able to rush consistently, inside and outside, with 4 men is not a secret recipe. It's just incredibly difficult to field a roster that can do it. Getting Vea back from injury turned that entire Defense around. What a player he is.

As for the Chiefs Defense - what I find hilarious is how the officials pick the Superbowl of all games to start calling them for holding and PI. Anyone who reads my All 22 reports knows how the Chiefs hold in their Defensive backfield. I ain't bitter - it's just a fact.

Any Defense that relies on heavy pressure concepts like Spags' needs to hold often. They got called so much for it last night and I don't think they can complain about a single call.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Getting Vea back from injury turned that entire Defense around. What a player he is.

^^ That was before the game, too. Beast.

And here is a 350lbs man playing 4-3 DE (playing it well, too).

Edited by lomaxgrUK

1 hour ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Being able to rush consistently, inside and outside, with 4 men is not a secret recipe. It's just incredibly difficult to field a roster that can do it. Getting Vea back from injury turned that entire Defense around. What a player he is.

As for the Chiefs Defense - what I find hilarious is how the officials pick the Superbowl of all games to start calling them for holding and PI. Anyone who reads my All 22 reports knows how the Chiefs hold in their Defensive backfield. I ain't bitter - it's just a fact.

Any Defense that relies on heavy pressure concepts like Spags' needs to hold often. They got called so much for it last night and I don't think they can complain about a single call.

The other part - is that 3 OL starters from the regular season were out yesterday.    That was a prime matchup to exploit.

What was mind-boggling on KC's end was Andy Reid had KC block with only 5 OL alone on over 90 percent of the snaps, and both backup T's facing one-on-one with Shaq Barrett & JPP.   Bowles blitzed 6x in the first 3 drives, and then didn't need to afterwards.   And yes, their starting LT was Mike Remmers.   The same 2015 Mike Remmers who got abused by Von & co.   Even worse, they shuffled 3 guys out to new positions with the last injury in the AFCG with LT Eric Fisher tearing his Achilles

KC won't be missing 3 starters on the OL next year, and they won't shuffle 3 guys out of position most weeks, either.   So keep that in mind when analyzing the Tampa win.   They absolutely deserved the W, they were the better team by far yesterday.   But the formula of 4 guys bringing pressure was also compounded by the unique situation KC faced - it's crazy that Reid & co. didn't have a plan B for the front 5 losing badly to Barrett / JPP / Suh / Vea.

• Like 1

Very interested to see where KC goes from here with a tight cap situation even before the Mahomes deal blows up. It was a bit reminiscent of SB48 in that they just got exposed by a complete team capable of winning in a number of ways, while KC is basically doomed when the machine breaks down. When it happened to us, most of the team was still so young that we had the ability to bring in Talib, Ware, Ward and Sanders which put us over the top. KC is probably limited to cheap ring chasing vets and they need serious talent infusion in quite a few spots. 

Going back to the GOATs discussion, Tiger had multiple two year stretches where he would win 2 out of every 3 tournaments. His dominance is unrivaled. 

I think Gretzky is #1 in team sports. If he never scored a single goal, he’d still be #1 in points in NHL history. I’d put Jordan right behind him, more championships but didn’t separate himself from everyone in his sport to quite the degree of Gretzky. I thought about Babe Ruth in this conversation but I have to penalize him for dominating in a segregated era. Plus, Barry Bonds’ 2001-2004 stretch is just as great as any Babe had, and against better competition. 

Edited by BroncoBruin

5 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Very interested to see where KC goes from here with a tight cap situation even before the Mahomes deal blows up. It was a bit reminiscent of SB48 in that they just got exposed by a complete team capable of winning in a number of ways, while KC is basically doomed when the machine breaks down. When it happened to us, most of the team was still so young that we had the ability to bring in Talib, Ware, Ward and Sanders which put us over the top. KC is probably limited to cheap ring chasing vets and they need serious talent infusion in quite a few spots. 

Excellent!

1 minute ago, BroncoBruin said:

Tiger had multiple two year stretches where he would win 2 out of every 3 tournaments. His dominance is unrivaled. 

I think Gretzky is #1 in team sports. If he never scored a single goal, he’d still be #1 in points in NHL history. I thought about Babe Ruth in this conversation but I have to penalize him for dominating in a segregated era. Plus, Barry Bonds’ 2001-2004 stretch is just as great as any Babe had, and against better competition. 

Bill Russell has to be in that conversation.

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

The other part - is that 3 OL starters from the regular season were out yesterday.    That was a prime matchup to exploit.

What was mind-boggling on KC's end was Andy Reid had KC block with only 5 OL alone on over 90 percent of the snaps, and both backup T's facing one-on-one with Shaq Barrett & JPP.   Bowles blitzed 6x in the first 3 drives, and then didn't need to afterwards.   And yes, their starting LT was Mike Remmers.   The same 2015 Mike Remmers who got abused by Von & co.   Even worse, they shuffled 3 guys out to new positions with the last injury in the AFCG with LT Eric Fisher tearing his Achilles

KC won't be missing 3 starters on the OL next year, and they won't shuffle 3 guys out of position most weeks, either.   So keep that in mind when analyzing the Tampa win.   They absolutely deserved the W, they were the better team by far yesterday.   But the formula of 4 guys bringing pressure was also compounded by the unique situation KC faced - it's crazy that Reid & co. didn't have a plan B for the front 5 losing badly to Barrett / JPP / Suh / Vea.

Yesterday was just down and dirty trench warfare and KC had their butts handed to them. You could swap out QB's on either side of the ball until the cows come home and the final result would still be the same.

8 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

Yesterday was just down and dirty trench warfare and KC had their butts handed to them. You could swap out QB's on either side of the ball until the cows come home and the final result would still be the same.

Absolutely - it may not have made a difference, but you wonder if Reid would re-think just putting in new 1 guy at LT and not moving the other 2 around.   When Fisher went down vs. BUF, for this game Reid moved Remmers from RT to LT, moved Wylie from RG to RT, and inserted a backup RG.  3 spots changed for 1 injury.  Even more mind-boggling - KC had no plan B.  They weren't going to keep Kelce in to block - but they actually had 2 other TE's on the roster.    The last 2 weeks could have had 12 personnel packages inserted, or empty backfields with 2TE-3WR - but nope, just 1 plan, hope & pray the 5 OL could hold up.   They couldn't.

All of that said, we likely can't count on that level of chaos next year vs. KC, sadly. 

Edited by Broncofan

16 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

Excellent!

Counterpoint: as long as KC has healthy Mahomes, they’re at least in the mix. A team like Tampa that has elite talent at every position group will have a better shot, but it’s really hard to build a roster of that quality and you can usually only maintain it for a couple years. A team like KC gets ten dice rolls. A team like Tampa gets two coin flips. 

• Like 1