Random Thoughts

AnAngryAmerican

Watching McKenzie ball out the last few weeks makes me sad

Basically watching playoff football and seeing playmakers being used creatively makes me sad. The execution of jet sweeps and goal line slant option routes is miles ahead of anything the Broncos have done in years. 

Edited by MontanaBronco
Add
  • Like 4

On 1/16/2022 at 1:42 AM, MontanaBronco said:

Watching McKenzie ball out the last few weeks makes me sad

Basically watching playoff football and seeing playmakers being used creatively makes me sad. The execution of jet sweeps and goal line slant option routes is miles ahead of anything the Broncos have done in years. 

HEY - don't speak ill of the jet sweep motion with a Jeudy/Spencer fake snap!!!

(THE WORST PLAY IN ALL OF FOOTBALL).

I know he was with the Raiders but being nostalgic I hate seeing Mayock go with the possibility of him never really contributing to current football.

Regardless of what you think of them, Kiper/Mayock are/were formidable when it came to the NFL draft.  

Just the names take me back to when I first joined the forum and with Kiper beyond that.  

14 hours ago, germ-x said:

I know he was with the Raiders but being nostalgic I hate seeing Mayock go with the possibility of him never really contributing to current football.

Regardless of what you think of them, Kiper/Mayock are/were formidable when it came to the NFL draft.  

Just the names take me back to when I first joined the forum and with Kiper beyond that.  

I understand why you did it here, but Mayock and Kiper don’t belong in the same conversation. Kiper’s an amalgamator. Combine a whole bunch of opinions together (much like what most of us do here) and regurgitate it for the masses. But Mayock’s a football guy. He’s the talent that a guy like Kiper calls to get real info. I like Mayock a lot, I think he got a raw deal here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, broncosfan_101 said:

I understand why you did it here, but Mayock and Kiper don’t belong in the same conversation. Kiper’s an amalgamator. Combine a whole bunch of opinions together (much like what most of us do here) and regurgitate it for the masses. But Mayock’s a football guy. He’s the talent that a guy like Kiper calls to get real info. I like Mayock a lot, I think he got a raw deal here.

It was also Jon Gruden with final say in personnel decisions. Mark Davis might just want to completely clean house or has a HC candidate in mind to whom he plans to give final say authority (e.g., Harbaugh). 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

The Raiders under Gruden/Mayock struck out on 1st round picks about as badly as you can. The one “hit” is a RB who is solid, not a difference maker. 

As others have eluded to, there is just no way we'll ever know how much influence Mayock had on those early picks.

The Coach with the 10 year contract is going to get final say on EVERYTHING, and you can't tell me that Gruden wasn't the one driving the 1st round picks.

What's funny is that you can tell Gruden basically watched Clemson and Alabama games and decided which eligible players he liked most.

From 2019 - 2021, the Raiders drafted 8 players in the first 2 rounds; 3 from Alabama and 2 from Clemson.

I hope Mayock gets another gig in a FO somewhere so we can get an idea on what his draft capability actually is. The Raiders have had some hits in his stint for sure, so it's not like he was an abject failure. That Ferrell pick is the one, though. Whoever was responsible for that is, well, not great at their job.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

As others have eluded to, there is just no way we'll ever know how much influence Mayock had on those early picks.

The Coach with the 10 year contract is going to get final say on EVERYTHING, and you can't tell me that Gruden wasn't the one driving the 1st round picks.

What's funny is that you can tell Gruden basically watched Clemson and Alabama games and decided which eligible players he liked most.

From 2019 - 2021, the Raiders drafted 8 players in the first 2 rounds; 3 from Alabama and 2 from Clemson.

I hope Mayock gets another gig in a FO somewhere so we can get an idea on what his draft capability actually is. The Raiders have had some hits in his stint for sure, so it's not like he was an abject failure. That Ferrell pick is the one, though. Whoever was responsible for that is, well, not great at their job.

I think if you look at the day three picks, that would give you an idea on Mayock’s ability. Gruden probably wasn’t gonna care enough about those picks to have serious input. And while it’s way too early to write the book on any day three picks from 2020/21, somebody there found Maxx Crosby and Hunter Renfroe in 2019. I’d bet that was Mayock and his staff.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Joe_is_the_best said:

I like it. Great might be a push, because he's yet another undersized SG (6ft 2). 

Like John Hollinger said in his article on it (a full article on this trade feels bonkers) - the best thing about this trade is it means the Nuggets feel they can contend this year. That has to mean they feel Jamal and perhaps even MPJ are going to contribute this season.

Crazy game last night. Made me a bit sad to see Jokic's Defense revert back to previous years, but it's hard to be mad at the guy going off for 49 points and making a(nother) insane pass that leads to the game winner.