Random Thoughts

AnAngryAmerican

I’m at a sports bar now and, of course, ESPN and its variants are on several of the TVs. It’s been nonstop AB talk, incessant, two days before the NFLs final regular season week. There is football to talk about, discuss, dissect, matchups and playoff scenarios. A limitless amount of topics. And ESPN discusses personal player drama. 

ESPN was a big part in destroying the NBA - it became less about basketball and all about marketing, player drama, being at the forefront. I remember seeing clips of that awful “The Jump” show and the “NBA Today” is just as bad, with topics like “Should Durant respond to LeBron’s tweets?” As an ACTUAL subject of discussion. 

ESPN played a huge part in ruining the NBA. As football fans us all, don’t tap into their garbage and let them ruin the NFL too.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I’m at a sports bar now and, of course, ESPN and its variants are on several of the TVs. It’s been nonstop AB talk, incessant, two days before the NFLs final regular season week. There is football to talk about, discuss, dissect, matchups and playoff scenarios. A limitless amount of topics. And ESPN discusses personal player drama. 

ESPN was a big part in destroying the NBA - it became less about basketball and all about marketing, player drama, being at the forefront. I remember seeing clips of that awful “The Jump” show and the “NBA Today” is just as bad, with topics like “Should Durant respond to LeBron’s tweets?” As an ACTUAL subject of discussion. 

ESPN played a huge part in ruining the NBA. As football fans us all, don’t tap into their garbage and let them ruin the NFL too.

Honestly I think goodell trying to saturate every month with NFL talk is a bigger threat. NFL teams are too big for this, especially compared to NBA rosters. But I agree, vote with your pocket book/clicks and try to stay away from those puff pieces. 

With ESPN buying the rights to what used to be called NHL center ice, my biggest fear is that they try to do the same stuff with the NHL. 

22 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

Honestly I think goodell trying to saturate every month with NFL talk is a bigger threat. NFL teams are too big for this, especially compared to NBA rosters. But I agree, vote with your pocket book/clicks and try to stay away from those puff pieces. 

With ESPN buying the rights to what used to be called NHL center ice, my biggest fear is that they try to do the same stuff with the NHL. 

As regards the NHL, I'm not so sure, at least not short term. The players care about hockey, about playing hockey, about the sport of hockey, the fans the same; the NHL fanbase is a lot different than the NBAs. I don't see it becoming the drama fest the NBA has become, even with ESPN getting the rights. The reporters who ESPN relies upon to cover the NHL aren't interested in the NBA-like soap opera BS that defines that league. 

The NFL really does worry me, however. The next few years will say a lot. 

Catching up on stuff, but a lot of you give these athletes/coaches too much credit.

Antonio Brown only cares about himself and it dates back to when he was a teenager.  The sad part is he tries to be about him in self destructive ways.  Terrific receiver whose legacy is being a laughing stock.

Bruce Arians.  “Mr. Vaccine.”  Complete hypocrite trying to play the role in the media.  Had 2 players use fake vaccine cards as he spent all offseason being the strictest coach about vaccinations and then doesn’t even cut those players because he doesn’t care.  He cares about Bruce Arians winning games.

Tom Brady.  AB isn’t wrong about Brady. Does anyone here really think TB12 is just randomly the only guy in the league that wants AB on his team?  Brady doesn’t give a sh!t about AB or anyone else.  He wants to win and continue building his legacy, Brown was an easy target that gave Brady a terrific WR that fit the salary cap.

None of these guys are “good” people.  The NFL is a business and they’re making business decisions when it comes to personnel.  

On 1/6/2022 at 4:18 PM, AnAngryAmerican said:

I think the Jordan era was the start of this. The league was all about him.

It's sad, because he wasn't as great for the game as people think. For example, his time away from the game was a suspension. I talked to Brian Tuohy (author of The Fix is In), and he has talked to several people that told him (a co-worker's mother was Reinsdorf's secretary in the 90's, for example) that Jordan was told to go away for gambling. The baseball thing was there to deflect attention away from Jordan's gambling troubles, and it worked. Nobody was talking about that anymore.

Edited by 7DnBrnc53

13 hours ago, germ-x said:

Tom Brady.  AB isn’t wrong about Brady. Does anyone here really think TB12 is just randomly the only guy in the league that wants AB on his team?  Brady doesn’t give a sh!t about AB or anyone else.  He wants to win and continue building his legacy, Brown was an easy target that gave Brady a terrific WR that fit the salary cap.

His legacy was built on cheating. People want to forget about Spygate, but it happened, and it benefited him way more than some people like to pretend it did.

2 hours ago, MontanaBronco said:

Chargers RT is giving me menelik watson/elijah wilkenson flashbacks

They fix RT, and get an inside DT like Jordan Davis, and they're a pretty complete team.  But it's crazy how 1 weakness can be mercilessly exploited over & over.  Maxx Crosby will haunt Storm Norton's dreams all offseason.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

On 1/10/2022 at 4:40 AM, MontanaBronco said:

Chargers RT is giving me menelik watson/elijah wilkenson flashbacks

Interesting story - a guy who is engaged to a High School friend of mine is really good friends with Menelik. The guy I know is like 6ft 8 and is from inner City Manchester, which is how he knows Menelik through basketball.

Some of you may know Watson was a basketballer and only played a year or two of Football before turning pro.

Anyway, he mentioned the fact he knows Menelik to me and I couldn't help but make a jibe about the money he stole from Denver ... He laughed and said Menelik was hurt for his entire time there and was actually regretful at how it turned out. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Interesting story - a guy who is engaged to a High School friend of mine is really good friends with Menelik. The guy I know is like 6ft 8 and is from inner City Manchester, which is how he knows Menelik through basketball.

Some of you may know Watson was a basketballer and only played a year or two of Football before turning pro.

Anyway, he mentioned the fact he knows Menelik to me and I couldn't help but make a jibe about the money he stole from Denver ... He laughed and said Menelik was hurt for his entire time there and was actually regretful at how it turned out. 

Now I am imagining trying to box out menelik and feeling inadequate. It would be interesting to be a fly on the wall in a locker room for a year for the sole purpose of hearing about all the nagging injuries people are dealing with. When I am feeling a little off I get torched in pick up. I can only imagine what would happen if I was playing world class athletes.

• Like 1