Random Thoughts

AnAngryAmerican

2 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

That timeline is all messed up though. McDaniels got busted for cheating in London, midway through his 2nd season, a calendar year after the 6-0 start. 

Yeah, he sounded like he was a bit tipsy on the podcast lol

just interesting to see them admit that it was cheating, when everyone was circling the wagons when it happened.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

Yeah, he sounded like he was a bit tipsy on the podcast lol

just interesting to see them admit that it was cheating, when everyone was circling the wagons when it happened.

DJ Williams was one of Mac’s, and Wink’s, favorites. I’m not surprised as DJ was a total freak athlete of a LB and misusing him was major mistake by Mike’s regime in his final seasons. He was one of the Shanahan players who Mac kept around. Too bad DJ could never put it all together and be paired with the right staff or he could have had a Patrick Willis like career.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

DJ Williams was one of Mac’s, and Wink’s, favorites. I’m not surprised as DJ was a total freak athlete of a LB and misusing him was major mistake by Mike’s regime in his final seasons. He was one of the Shanahan players who Mac kept around. Too bad DJ could never put it all together and be paired with the right staff or he could have had a Patrick Willis like career.

I think DJ did coast off his raw talent to a degree, but if he could have just stuck as a 4-3 WILL his entire career I do think he would have had an amazing career. Was still one of the few bright spots of some really bad defenses.

Yeh I think DJ not realising his potential was a mixture of the amount of Defensive Coordinators he played for (5 in 8 seasons), the amount of different roles he played in those Defenses but also his own application. There were so many stories of him during his career going out to clubs during the season, and that reputation was earned during his time at the U as well.

I'd say he had a good career in Denver but not much better really.

I loved DJ Williams.  A very good player that could have been great, if not for a combination of factors. Was convinced we were taking Steven Jackson at RB in R1 the year we drafted Williams. I remember being so mad when we didnt take him. I think it all worked out.

Edited by broncos67
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, broncos67 said:

I loved DJ Williams.  A very good player that could have been great, if not for a combination of factors. Was convinced we were taking Steven Jackson at RB in R1 the year we drafted Williams. I remember being so mad when we didnt take him. I think it all worked out.

Same, I also was shook we didn't take Jackson. 

IIRC, John Madden said DJ Williams was the only player he’d ever seen that could’ve made the jump from HS to the pros.

Ton of talent and good player.  Was worth the #17 pick in the draft.  Still always felt like he left some on the field. Maybe it was the early hype that wasn’t warranted, the change around him, or his off the field habits.  Probably a combo of everything.

While we are reminiscing former LBs.  Ian Gold was my idol in the early 2000s. Undersized, especially during that time period for an LB at 225 pounds.  Could get after the QB, 6.5 sacks one year and had multiple years with over 70+ tackles and while I don’t remember if he could actually cover he had 4 INTs to DJ Williams 2 during their careers.

Gold went out there no gloves, no tape,  no BS.  Just there to play football.

Just thinking about it.  Denver did have some damn good LBs back in the late 90s early 2000s.  LB has become somewhat of a finesse position in todays NFL, but back then those guys were getting ISO’d with a full back all game long.

Mobley, Romo, Williamsx2, Wilson, Cadrez, Gold.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, germ-x said:

Just thinking about it.  Denver did have some damn good LBs back in the late 90s early 2000s.  LB has become somewhat of a finesse position in todays NFL, but back then those guys were getting ISO’d with a full back all game long.

Mobley, Romo, Williamsx2, Wilson, Cadrez, Gold.

Was always sad about how Al Wilson went out. That 2005 defense was fun, although I think ebenezer ekuban was our leading pass rush rusher so I’m not sure that’s great. 

15 hours ago, MontanaBronco said:

Was always sad about how Al Wilson went out. That 2005 defense was fun, although I think ebenezer ekuban was our leading pass rush rusher so I’m not sure that’s great. 

As I recall they’d just bring the house when they needed a stop and it usually worked. 

19 hours ago, champ11 said:

Same, I also was shook we didn't take Jackson. 

They should have taken him. Too bad they didn't. One of my favorite backs. I said at the time that he should have won the 2003 Heisman (well, either him or USC's Mike Williams. Jason White was a BS pick).