Random Thoughts

AnAngryAmerican

i've reflected on this season a bit....i think as we have discussed we are going to learn a LOT about Paton in the next month or two. 

I know @AnAngryAmerican and I went back and forth a bit before the season ... I think end of the day I was taking a glass half full approach, while the "show me" approach was also completely reasonable with Paton. End of the day, this year was essentially a punt year .... BUT if they do have a shot at Rodgers/Wilson showing themselves to be a competent team would pay off. And I do think winning and being competent brings value to an organization. But I think if the QB thing is not figured out and Fangio stays?? Time to GET TOXIC! Keeping Fangio last season and passing on a QB is still a totally fair criticism and I think what happens this offseason will really paint a clear picture for us.

End of the day this team was extremely unserious. They are not as good as their mediocre record and they completely no-showed in every single game that mattered. No doubt they had 2 very impressive wins vs Dallas and LAC - but every time they had a chance to prove they were a solid team they dropped the ball. So to me it would be crazy if Fangio is still head coach. And I think Lock and Teddy are very clearly not the answers (don't think nearly anyone expected them to be - I know I didn't). I do like Teddy and think he was the best we've seen since PFM - but EOD he is a high tier backup / very bottom tier starter. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, champ11 said:

i've reflected on this season a bit....i think as we have discussed we are going to learn a LOT about Paton in the next month or two. 

I know @AnAngryAmerican and I went back and forth a bit before the season ... I think end of the day I was taking a glass half full approach, while the "show me" approach was also completely reasonable with Paton. End of the day, this year was essentially a punt year .... BUT if they do have a shot at Rodgers/Wilson showing themselves to be a competent team would pay off. And I do think winning and being competent brings value to an organization. But I think if the QB thing is not figured out and Fangio stays?? Time to GET TOXIC! Keeping Fangio last season and passing on a QB is still a totally fair criticism and I think what happens this offseason will really paint a clear picture for us.

End of the day this team was extremely unserious. They are not as good as their mediocre record and they completely no-showed in every single game that mattered. No doubt they had 2 very impressive wins vs Dallas and LAC - but every time they had a chance to prove they were a solid team they dropped the ball. So to me it would be crazy if Fangio is still head coach. And I think Lock and Teddy are very clearly not the answers (don't think nearly anyone expected them to be - I know I didn't). I do like Teddy and think he was the best we've seen since PFM - but EOD he is a high tier backup / very bottom tier starter. 

I mentioned here a few weeks ago: is there *any* reason for optimism going forward if Fangio is still the coach next year, or if Teddy/Lock is the presumed starter in week one? Drafting a first round QB and letting him sit behind Teddy for a while is the only possible scenario (and even that, which QB would I be excited for? I could probably talk myself into Corral), but it absolutely needs to be under a new HC. The show-me year of 2021 for Fangio & Co. still makes sense to me, but that’s over now. Every question has been answered, time to move on.

On 1/2/2022 at 10:20 PM, 1234567 said:

Y’all catch Antonio Brown’s meltdown today? I’d bet a lot of money that’s CTE in action. Sad

This was certainly my original reaction. 

What has worried me since are the reports of Brown saying he was hurt and couldn't play, and Arians said that he doesn't go back in then he may as well leave.

IF this is true, that's a very, very poor look for Arians. Coaches shouldn't be telling players when they are/aren't injured. It doesn't matter what the background of the player is.

Arians apparently denied that Brown disclosed any injury, for what it's worth. 

• Like 1

On 1/2/2022 at 5:20 PM, 1234567 said:

Y’all catch Antonio Brown’s meltdown today? I’d bet a lot of money that’s CTE in action. Sad

31 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

This was certainly my original reaction. 

What has worried me since are the reports of Brown saying he was hurt and couldn't play, and Arians said that he doesn't go back in then he may as well leave.

IF this is true, that's a very, very poor look for Arians. Coaches shouldn't be telling players when they are/aren't injured. It doesn't matter what the background of the player is.

Arians apparently denied that Brown disclosed any injury, for what it's worth. 

AB is his own special kind of dude, but the record of incidents post-Burfict hit is disturbingly high.  Before that playoff hit, he had a couple of small run-ins.   Since then, he's had at least 5 high-profile "WTF" moments.

Doing jumping jacks in the EZ, while saying you were too hurt to go back into the game, was just surreal.   

Truly think it's over for him.   When TB12 vouching for you isn't enough...hard to see a path back.