Random Thoughts

AnAngryAmerican

Time to take advantage if the AFCE. Saw the Jets are down a S and the Pat's probably losing their starting CB due to potential suspension due to arms charges. We happen to have depth at both positions, can we swing a draft pick or two or ????

On 6/24/2023 at 6:39 AM, Cutler06 said:

So, why is there a "Sophmore Slump" ? Is more piled on to the sophmore's workload ? Are the expectations higher ? Do they put more pressure on themselves ? 

I think it's because there are no more surprises. Lot's of film available.

Edited by AKRNA
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Who are your top-10 head coaches going into the year? Is Sean one of them? We had this debate at the bar yesterday. 

If I pick 7 off the top of my head, in no particular order, I go Reid, Belichick, Tomlin, Harbaugh, Carroll, Shanahan and McVay - I think those 7 have be on everyone’s list. 

You can also make a case for McDermott, Siriani and Taylor but it’s early in their careers. They’re also the group of 1st/2nd years guys - O’Connell, Daboll, McDaniel, Saleh - who look good haven’t accomplished anything of note. There’s also veterans who’ve won but don’t strike me as really special - Rivera, Vrabel, Peterson. A friend put LaFleur on his list, but I want to see what he does without Rodgers. 

I think looking at this list and comparing those names to him and his track record, you have to put Sean in the top-10, right? 

6 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Who are your top-10 head coaches going into the year? Is Sean one of them? We had this debate at the bar yesterday. 

If I pick 7 off the top of my head, in no particular order, I go Reid, Belichick, Tomlin, Harbaugh, Carroll, Shanahan and McVay - I think those 7 have be on everyone’s list. 

You can also make a case for McDermott, Siriani and Taylor but it’s early in their careers. They’re also the group of 1st/2nd years guys - O’Connell, Daboll, McDaniel, Saleh - who look good haven’t accomplished anything of note. There’s also veterans who’ve won but don’t strike me as really special - Rivera, Vrabel, Peterson. A friend put LaFleur on his list, but I want to see what he does without Rodgers. 

I think looking at this list and comparing those names to him and his track record, you have to put Sean in the top-10, right? 

I mean, it's no guarantee that he'll succeed here, but his track record says top 5-6 HC.    His ability to build a roster, and for success, is indisputable....although you have to acknowledge he's willing to burn the future to win-now, to the point it's an ugly rebuild (and his departure from NO definitely raises the legit Q if he's willing to stick around when we need a full rebuild - it's never a matter of if, it's just when).   

His biggest flaw in his peak NO years was getting too cute, and play-calling that tried to show how smart he was - over-featuring Taysom Hill in key moments cost him big-time both for playoff games / a couple of key reg season ones.   But his ability to prepare his team, and for the scheme to succeed, it's indisputable.    In his NO time, he was seen in that group of 7, not behind.   Again, it's no guarantee he'll find success here, and the price paid to get him, I wish we didn't have to pay up, but as far as the coaching talent/record, that part isn't one I worry about.

Edited by Broncofan

18 hours ago, Broncofan said:

I mean, it's no guarantee that he'll succeed here, but his track record says top 5-6 HC.    His ability to build a roster, and for success, is indisputable....although you have to acknowledge he's willing to burn the future to win-now, to the point it's an ugly rebuild (and his departure from NO definitely raises the legit Q if he's willing to stick around when we need a full rebuild - it's never a matter of if, it's just when).   

His biggest flaw in his peak NO years was getting too cute, and play-calling that tried to show how smart he was - over-featuring Taysom Hill in key moments cost him big-time both for playoff games / a couple of key reg season ones.   But his ability to prepare his team, and for the scheme to succeed, it's indisputable.    In his NO time, he was seen in that group of 7, not behind.   Again, it's no guarantee he'll find success here, and the price paid to get him, I wish we didn't have to pay up, but as far as the coaching talent/record, that part isn't one I worry about.

I don't think Sean's part of the "win now" group. I believe he's smarter than that and realizes our deficiencies are too great to make that realistic. 

• 2 weeks later...

The Johnathan Taylor situation is interesting. He’s a great back and great dude. But I get where teams are coming from given how short their shelf life and how you can get a decent starter from any round. On the one hand I hope JT gets paid and I’d love to have him on the broncos. On the other I’d be pissed at the waste of resources if the broncos paid him what he deserves.  

3 hours ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

The Johnathan Taylor situation is interesting. He’s a great back and great dude. But I get where teams are coming from given how short their shelf life and how you can get a decent starter from any round. On the one hand I hope JT gets paid and I’d love to have him on the broncos. On the other I’d be pissed at the waste of resources if the broncos paid him what he deserves.  

The crazy part for IND is if you’re going to bring in a raw toolsy qb with great run skills - having an elite RB is one of the best ways to protect him and let him learn.    If there’s any team who needs him badly it’s IND.   So while the market says RB should be devalued - why go out if your way to alienate him like the owner did last night?  Insane and completely unnecessary:

Again, IND doesn’t have to do anything right now and they can tag him.   But why go out if your way to antagonize the best skill player on the team.    SMH.  Irsay has to be in the running for worst owner now that Snyder is gone. 

• Like 2

On 7/30/2023 at 11:09 AM, Broncofan said:

The crazy part for IND is if you’re going to bring in a raw toolsy qb with great run skills - having an elite RB is one of the best ways to protect him and let him learn.    If there’s any team who needs him badly it’s IND.   So while the market says RB should be devalued - why go out if your way to alienate him like the owner did last night?  Insane and completely unnecessary:

Again, IND doesn’t have to do anything right now and they can tag him.   But why go out if your way to antagonize the best skill player on the team.    SMH.  Irsay has to be in the running for worst owner now that Snyder is gone. 

Complete idiocy on Irsay’s part, no surprise there of course. And you’re correct, he is right there with Haslem, Spanos, Bidwell and Ross for the worst in the league. 

• 3 weeks later...

Good to see Ronald Darby sign with BAL - it was a no-brainer to cut him and save 9M+, but always hoped he'd latch on.  

Because of the Marlon Humpherey injury, Darby got a 1.8M deal that could go 3M+ with playing time bonuses (always the big if), instead of the vet min.   Good for him, wish him well. 

Edited by Broncofan

The situation with the Raiders and Josh Jacobs is … I can’t think of the right word. 

Mac (and everyone knows his BFF Ziegler is GM in name-only) is coaching for his job this year, most odds have him the first HC fired, wouldn’t a rational person just bite the bullet and pay your best or, at worst, second-best offensive player? 

Davis is the poorest owner but it’s not like he’s too poor to fire Mac and the whole New England lot this year if things continue to go sideways. So in firing Mac and starting fresh is a very real possibility. 

My sister and brother-in-law live in Vegas with my sister working as the GM of a major event management company and she hosts events at the stadium, she says the real Raiders fans she sees are just as indignant as many were here during our own McDisaster.

Davis needs to establish a fanbase there as, since it’s Vegas, so many fans come to enjoy and weekend in the city and get tickets when their favorite team is playing. If they can’t generate some positive buzz in their home city they risk becoming the Chargers in LA where their “home” games are actually home games for their opponents. 

I don’t see much in the way of positive news coming out of the team either; the only ones defending and making excuses in the media for Mac are the usual New England apologist suspects who did the same for Mac when he was here, for Weis, for Crennel, for Mangini, for O’Brien, for Patricia, for Judge…

3 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

The situation with the Raiders and Josh Jacobs is … I can’t think of the right word. 

Mac (and everyone knows his BFF Ziegler is GM in name-only) is coaching for his job this year, most odds have him the first HC fired, wouldn’t a rational person just bite the bullet and pay your best or, at worst, second-best offensive player? 

Davis is the poorest owner but it’s not like he’s too poor to fire Mac and the whole New England lot this year if things continue to go sideways. So in firing Mac and starting fresh is a very real possibility. 

My sister and brother-in-law live in Vegas with my sister working as the GM of a major event management company and she hosts events at the stadium, she says the real Raiders fans she sees are just as indignant as many were here during our own McDisaster.

Davis needs to establish a fanbase there as, since it’s Vegas, so many fans come to enjoy and weekend in the city and get tickets when their favorite team is playing. If they can’t generate some positive buzz in their home city they risk becoming the Chargers in LA where their “home” games are actually home games for their opponents. 

I don’t see much in the way of positive news coming out of the team either; the only ones defending and making excuses in the media for Mac are the usual New England apologist suspects who did the same for Mac when he was here, for Weis, for Crennel, for Mangini, for O’Brien, for Patricia, for Judge…

This is the only part I disagree with. With the decision to sign Gruden to a 10 year contract (🤣🤣🤣) I don’t think Davis has the liquidity to pay 3 coaches at the same time. 

4 hours ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

This is the only part I disagree with. With the decision to sign Gruden to a 10 year contract (🤣🤣🤣) I don’t think Davis has the liquidity to pay 3 coaches at the same time. 

Fair point. And I could be wrong but I think the league allowed them out of some of Gruden’s contract.