Random Thoughts

AnAngryAmerican

On 9/25/2023 at 11:32 AM, Broncofan said:

I'm no Swift fan, but I respect her for taking a stand on musician's rights vs. the labels (F the labels).   That's one very redeeming feature in her corner.   And she is old-school in doing actual concerts (3 hours in pouring rain was a crazy thing you don't see any performers do nowadays, and not cancelling for weather/etc.).   I'm not a fan of her music, and she needs the spotlight too much, but she has some redeeming qualities.  Which is a rare thing to say about a lot of celebrities these days.

Her taste in men (and her need to be in the spotlight), though, is a big Achilles (and the need to share it in her music, while popular, only exacerbates this problem).  As evidenced by her latest choice - Kelce and Swift....lulz.   No doubt he'll be the focus of her next album (both before and after the inevitable breakup lol).

Country music has notoriously been about lost love or romance gone bad…or a truck…maybe a dog…hardly anyone now writes and performs their own music.

Taylor Swift is the Michael Jackson of her time. Notably, without the dance moves…

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, The Helicopter said:

Country music has notoriously been about lost love or romance gone bad…or a truck…maybe a dog…hardly anyone now writes and performs their own music.

Taylor Swift is the Michael Jackson of her time. Notably, without the dance moves…

The other thing I have to give mad props for - she a gave a 100K tip EACH to every driver in her tour, and apparently gave 10K+ to every crew member who made the tour possible.  Obv we don't know everything, but she comes off a genuinely good person....which for a mega-celebrity, is so exceedingly rare.

It's good for the game, as it brings in a crowd that never wants to have anything to do with football.   Sure, hardcore fans DGAF what's going on with their romantic life, but it's making the game even more popular and accessible globally.   Given the person Taylor Swift seems to be, I have zero problem here.   Give me Taylor Swift 100000x over Brittany Mahomes shots any day of the week and 100x on Sundays.

1 hour ago, The Helicopter said:

You forgot trains

I really wish the US team cared as much about the team element of the Ryder Cup as the American fans I spoke to at the Ryder Cup.

I just don't get it. It's every time they face adversity in Europe they crumble and have no team camaraderie to fall back on. 

All of the Americans I spoke to were amazing. Full understanding of European playful banter with their players, and having a great time.

What an event the Ryder Cup is. Hope you golf fans get to enjoy it one day.

Edited by lomaxgrUK
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

I really wish the US team cared as much about the team element of the Ryder Cup as the American fans I spoke to at the Ryder Cup.

I just don't get it. It's every time they face adversity in Europe they crumble and have no team camaraderie to fall back on. 

All of the Americans I spoke to were amazing. Full understanding of European playful banter with their players, and having a great time.

What an event the Ryder Cup is. Hope you golf fans get to enjoy it one day.

The Euros have 3 things going for them: 

1.  All of them love Ryder cup 100x more than some US guys.   Xander wanted to see the books, Cantlay outright wants to get paid.   F them, let guys who want to play for 1 weekend in a bucket list event play instead.  

2.  Euro actually uses metrics and data to decide who the best fits are.    Pairing Sam Burns with Scottie Scheffler alternating shot Rd1?  Literally the most absurd decision data would have said to avoid.    Donald embraces data-driven decisions, Zach Johnson doesn’t.  It showed. 

3.  Europe took the best players not the names / old boys club.   Ludvig Aberg & Viktor Hovland were soul takers first 3 matches (Aberg skipped PM match) until they ran out of gas in the Day 2 afternoon match.   That really set the tone with the 9&7 win.    The Euro back 4 players outclassed the US back 4 by a mile.  Fowler, Spieth & Thomas were awful.    But they were buddies in the old boys club.   FWIW Aberg looks like the next big thing.  I have Masters & PGA tickets on him at insane odds (likely won’t hit but he’s going to be priced so much lower by time those majors come around).  

I was happy as I took Euro as a +140 dog weeks ago.  I’ll keep taking them on Euro soil as long as US doesn’t change its ways.   Get more Max Homa (US's best guy this time around), Cameron Young & Will Z (hurt so not here) leading the way and even Bryson D (I won’t criticize leaving him off on courses that don’t reward the bomber), then I might change my tune in 2 years on US soil.   

Great win for Euro.   F guys like Xander Schauffele & Patrick Cantlay.  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

3.  Europe took the best players not the names / old boys club.

I agree with all of what you said, although I don't think this strictly true, though it depends on your definition of "best".

I was a huge proponent of taking Aberg. I've got the tweets to prove as much, long before the decision was made. But he's been a pro for like 100 days. He's the first every Ryder Cup player to have never contested a major. Based on points bla bla bla, that definitely isn't taking the "best" player.

Shane Lowry has been awful this year. Meronk is definitely (right now) a better player than Hojgaard.

I think, to an extent, Donald benefitted from having less choice with his captain picks. Meronk is probably the only person who could feel hard done to about not going. Whereas on the US side, Glover, Bradley, Young and DeChambeau could certainly all feel hard done to given who Johnson opted with for his picks.

I just think that it comes back to point 1 of your post more than anything else. It just matters way more to Europeans. History matters to them. Legacy matters to them. Not wanting to let down alumni players matters to them.

Whilst this makes me proud of the European team approach, it makes me sad that the US players don't feel the same way.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

I agree with all of what you said, although I don't think this strictly true, though it depends on your definition of "best".

I was a huge proponent of taking Aberg. I've got the tweets to prove as much, long before the decision was made. But he's been a pro for like 100 days. He's the first every Ryder Cup player to have never contested a major. Based on points bla bla bla, that definitely isn't taking the "best" player.

Shane Lowry has been awful this year. Meronk is definitely (right now) a better player than Hojgaard.

I think, to an extent, Donald benefitted from having less choice with his captain picks. Meronk is probably the only person who could feel hard done to about not going. Whereas on the US side, Glover, Bradley, Young and DeChambeau could certainly all feel hard done to given who Johnson opted with for his picks.

I just think that it comes back to point 1 of your post more than anything else. It just matters way more to Europeans. History matters to them. Legacy matters to them. Not wanting to let down alumni players matters to them.

Whilst this makes me proud of the European team approach, it makes me sad that the US players don't feel the same way.

Yeah, I think Lowry was an iffy choice for sure on history, but taking Aberg with no majors experience was a seminal moment in data-driven analysis.      Everything said with ball-striking, driving and ability to score birdies/eagle potential, Aberg was a must-have on that course.    

When I said best players, I should have been more precise - Aberg was a data-driven best fit for the team- and not old-boys club.  To that extent, Lowry was more in the latter decision, than the former - but it can easily be argued that US made that call with 3, if not 4 guys.   That was a massive diff maker in a team format, even with trying to hide guys in the first 2 days.  

I hope that US learns from this, and goes with more data-driven, analytical approach - that would have screamed to have Cameron Young there, and on that course, Bryson.   But yeah, give me guys who want to be there as well (use the data to pick better fits, but also everyoone has to be thrilled & excited to play there).    It's shocking that there are players who wouldn't want to be there for the weekend because they're not paid - FFS, events like those are what funds the billion-dollar prize pool they get to compete for.   SMH. 

I feel awful for Keegan Bradley, he truly wanted to be there, I'm not sure if he gets more chances (where Cameron Young likely makes the next team).     I think Team Euro likely still wins this time, but it would have been a toss-up not having Thomas/Spieth/Fowler in there.   Ironically, both Spieth & Fowler played worse than Thomas, so ironically that probably saved the US from even more controversy in the choices.   

Either way though, a great win for Team Europe.    As a Canuck, I have no problem rooting for Team Euro (especially as an underdog for bets lol), but I do want to see great golf too.   I'm hoping we see it from both teams next time.   

Edited by Broncofan

53 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

I always hate painting with a broad brush. Ya gotta keep in mind it was only two years ago the US team broke scoring records on the way to their win.

That said, I've seen some real jerks on the US team. It's quite an honor to be there and no place for "me first".

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AKRNA said:

I always hate painting with a broad brush. Ya gotta keep in mind it was only two years ago the US team broke scoring records on the way to their win.

That said, I've seen some real jerks on the US team. It's quite an honor to be there and no place for "me first".

But that talks to my previous point - the lack of team spirit becomes evident when there is adversity. 

At home with the far, far superior team and a course perfect for that talent was never going to lead to adversity.

Just look at the stats of the last 5 away trips for the US team vs the Europeans. Talent isn't the reason for the difference, that's for sure.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Just seen Isaac Yiadom had a pick for the Saints on Sunday. I had no idea he was still in the league. Good for him

I saw in the general forum that PFF has him rated #1 corner in the league 😄. They also have our old buddy Fant as a top5 TE. I guess if you ever needed to see how flawed their formula is...

I will say I've been surprised at Fant catching 1-3 nice catches per game in Seattle. Mr. "I can't block or break a tackle to save my life."

1 hour ago, Dbrog24 said:

I saw in the general forum that PFF has him rated #1 corner in the league 😄. They also have our old buddy Fant as a top5 TE. I guess if you ever needed to see how flawed their formula is...

I will say I've been surprised at Fant catching 1-3 nice catches per game in Seattle. Mr. "I can't block or break a tackle to save my life."

If you saw the Fant 50+ yard catch, it really does show how flawed the formula really is.