What Are You Thinking About v.CC

pwny

11 hours ago, MWil23 said:

@ET80 and @Matts4313, this will be my only "empathetic" sports related post, but the 2016 WS almost broke me. My sister was over watching with me, and after the last out was recorded, I wordlessly turned off the TV and walked straight into my room, closed the door, and unsuccessfully tried to sleep. I assume that she left and know that she safely made it home, but she still thinks that it's hilarious and "doesn't blame me". My wife on the other hand, was not as amused.

I've really tried to keep positive today, but it's not happening. I've been arguing with my buddies about what's more at fault to this series - Hinch not going to Cole last night, or an atrocious RISP performance by the bats (it's the bats) and I've threatened to kill a few people in said arguments. Not the usual "I'll kill you" stuff I tend to say, but actually "getting my zip ties and razor wire, getting my bug out bag and fake IDs ready, making sure the gators are hungry" sort of kill.

I don't think I've ever been through such heartbreak in sports before, and I was an Oilers fan in 1992 and a Rockets fan in 1996. I currently cheer for the Texans... I KNOW disappointment. I watched the Astros get swept by the White Sox back in 2005, so this shouldn't be new territory for me.

This... this is new. I don't like it.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, MWil23 said:

The way I see it is pretty simple:

I spend 25-30 hours a week helping those kids, prepping them, game planning, etc. You want them to succeed and directly factor into winning/losing and their experience. I take it personally when they lose because it's a byproduct of me. I don't factor into the teams I root for winning/losing, so I'm more of a critic than it wrecking my weekend like it does as a coach/did as an athlete. Perspective over time has helped with that.

I just saw this post and wanted to comment. 

You are shaping the lives of kids. They will grow up and you will be directly (partially) responsible for the human they become. 

What you do is much bigger than wins and losses. Never forget that winning is not as important as just being a good role model for them. 

My favorite adult role model growing up was my Dline coach. Former packers DT who only called me "sheet fudge son" for 3 years. He mixed in really awesome life advice with super inappropriate advice that would now land him in jail. He once told me not to have sex with my girlfriend before a track meet because being horney would make me run faster.

He was the best. 

• Like 1

Don't have to go in until 2 today for work. Only doing 45 minutes on one route and then going to train on collections (where we collect the mail from the blue boxes that sit around town) for about two and a half hours. Still going to end up with 40+ hours for the week though. 

8 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

My favorite adult role model growing up was my Dline coach. Former packers DT who only called me "sheet fudge son" for 3 years. He mixed in really awesome life advice with super inappropriate advice that would now land him in jail. He once told me not to have sex with my girlfriend before a track meet because being horney would make me run faster.

This explains so much.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

I just saw this post and wanted to comment. 

You are shaping the lives of kids. They will grow up and you will be directly (partially) responsible for the human they become. 

What you do is much bigger than wins and losses. Never forget that winning is not as important as just being a good role model for them.

Thanks buddy that means a lot. It’s been a rough season on the W/L front. We have been decimated by injuries and essentially had to field a glorified JV squad the last 5 games. Hopefully tonight we can send our seniors out with a win. Weird to think that after this weekend the season is over and we start offseason stuff in a month.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dome said:

He should’ve known it wasn’t gonna be an issue anyways. 

I dont mean braggy but your boy here was quite the ladies man in his young days. Next time we are in discord I will tell you the time that a random stranger got my number and called me for relations as her birthday present because I had hooked up with her friend at a party. The story is absolutely wild, to the point you wont believe me... but its 100% true. 

7 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

I dont mean braggy but your boy here was quite the ladies man in his young days. Next time we are in discord I will tell you the time that a random stranger got my number and called me for relations as her birthday present because I had hooked up with her friend at a party. The story is absolutely wild, to the point you wont believe me... but its 100% true. 

By "ladies man" he means the five feet and under variety.