What Are You Thinking About v.CC

pwny

12 hours ago, steadypimpin said:

Yeaterday at work I wrote an email to the company, we have an email for service related stuff. We're in commercial property management. I can't just order contractors without approval so I wrote a summary of a complaint(flies) and asked for help on the next step which I recommended calling pest control. My boss, a woman, responds that my coworker will call the pest control because she interpreted thru my text in an email that I was irritated.

Without posting the actual e-mail you sent and the context of your professional relationship it's impossible to know for sure.

But yes, I'm sure at some point basically every working professional has a moment where an e-mail of theirs was interpreted the wrong way. Doing all you can to control how your communication is perceived is part of professional development though.

12 hours ago, steadypimpin said:

I don't know what made her diagnose my email to think I was irritated, it was a professional response. I got so mad and only replied to her that I don't need her to interpret my mood thru my text that I wrote. Wtf is that??? That's something your gf/spouse/significant other might do but I never thought my boss would react this way. She's pissed at me but I didn't back down. I told her if I was angry,upset,irritated,happy etc... that I would let the company know and I don't appreciate her trying to determine my mood based off of an email.

Any thoughts about this? Anyone ever had this crap happen at their job over a damn email???

Little tough love here... You made what should have been a nothing situation a lot worse for no good reason. 

Part of her job as a manager is to assess the moods of her employees, and why they might feel that way. A consistently bad mod might be a sign that you have too much work to do, are in a job that you're a good fit for, etc. etc. You might always escalate, but people in general tend to suffer in silence.

A rule of thumb is that when someone interprets something in a way that you didn't intend, ask what gave them that impression (and ideally ask in person so you can read body language). "I'm going to have [Coworker] call, because you seem upset." "Oh, I didn't mean to come off as frustrated! How would you have tweaked the wording to make sure that doesn't happen?" Put the onus on them to tell you why they thought that, and then honestly assess if they are reading into it too much or if there was a way to wordsmith it better. And in the future when you communicate with that person, just try to avoid the phrasing/style that set them off. Part of communicating in a workplace is that there are going to be people who you aren't on the same wavelength as, and it's on you to adjust accordingly.

If I was your boss, based on that exchange, I'd be noting that you don't take feedback well. That's not to say she's right all the time or that her word is law, but there's a huge difference in the response "I don't appreciate you doing x, y, z", which makes it a personal issue, and "I'm trying to work on feedback x, y, z, but, frankly, am struggling a little bit because a, b, c".

I'd also stop thinking about your boss' actions as the stereotypical girlfriend/SO type stuff yesterday. If she's reading into things you're sending, there's a decent chance she's picking up on that vibe as well.

• Like 3

No, my company is small and this chick is nutty. She literally talks to me like I'm one of her kids sometimes. This is just her 100%. She called me after I sent the reply about me being fine, don't read into it... email and she again tried to put wordsin my mouth about how my email sounded to her. I said look, if I'm upset you'll know, I'd tell you. It's not fair to me for you to assume things like that based on how you read an email. Even my other coworkers were surprised that she had that reaction. This chick loves me, we butt heads sometimes but I'm her guy at work.

I saw her this morning, she was cool with me. She didn't mention our convo so I'm assuming it's done. She didn't talk to me at all yesterday tho only thru emaiks.

Edited by steadypimpin
Added more

4 minutes ago, Danger said:

Poll of the Day has been pretty dead lately, no? I got a couple to pitch in there if that's alright.

I’m supposed to have Saturdays, but my girlfriend makes me sleep in until 3pm.

Or that’s my excuse.

1 hour ago, steadypimpin said:

No, my company is small and this chick is nutty. She literally talks to me like I'm one of her kids sometimes. This is just her 100%. She called me after I sent the reply about me being fine, don't read into it... email and she again tried to put wordsin my mouth about how my email sounded to her. I said look, if I'm upset you'll know, I'd tell you. It's not fair to me for you to assume things like that based on how you read an email. Even my other coworkers were surprised that she had that reaction. This chick loves me, we butt heads sometimes but I'm her guy at work.

I saw her this morning, she was cool with me. She didn't mention our convo so I'm assuming it's done. She didn't talk to me at all yesterday tho only thru emaiks.

Instead of looking at it from a big picture ("how can I help the company communicate better?", "what can I do better?"), you're still trying to be right.

All I have to go on is 2 posts from you, and despite me being an idiot, I'm already pretty sure you don't take feedback well. If I'm getting that impression that quickly, hiring managers are going to catch on too.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 1

So much on my docket for tonight; the Linkin Park Chester tribute show live-streaming right after work, Stranger Things 2 dropping today on Netflix and Mario Odyssey for the Switch.

I can't remember the last time I had so much to look forward to all in one day.

1 hour ago, KManX89 said:

So much on my docket for tonight; the Linkin Park Chester tribute show live-streaming right after work, Stranger Things 2 dropping today on Netflix and Mario Odyssey for the Switch.

I can't remember the last time I had so much to look forward to all in one day.

Don't forget assassins creed origins