What Are You Thinking About v.CC

pwny

1 minute ago, mission27 said:

We're talking about a comedian who made an unfunny and offensive joke.

I hate even having to take this stance......

...but....

was it really a joke?  It didn’t read to me as an attempt by a comedian with decades of experience crafting a line that fell flat.  It read like a racist hick with verbal diarrhea (via text).

Just because you’re a comedian doesn’t mean you get a free pass for everything. This wasn’t a bit, this wasn’t a performance, it’s her unvarnished opinion for public consumption.

I love comedians who thumb their nose at political correctness when the content is witty and done the right way.  Chappelle, Burr, Louis CK, Rogan, etc all do it regularly.  

This wasn’t that.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I hate even having to take this stance......

...but....

was it really a joke?  It didn’t read to me as an attempt by a comedian with decades of experience crafting a line that fell flat.  It read like a racist hick with verbal diarrhea (via text).

Just because you’re a comedian doesn’t mean you get a free pass for everything. This wasn’t a bit, this wasn’t a performance, it’s her unvarnished opinion for public consumption.

I love comedians who thumb their nose at political correctness when the content is witty and done the right way.  Chappelle, Burr, Louis CK, Rogan, etc all do it regularly.  

This wasn’t that.

By the way, context is important on this. I'd be much more likely to buy the "I was joking" excuse if she actually didn't peddle nonsense with such regularity. Her excuse is "I was joking, it sounds like what alot of the people I retweet actually believe and I've said offensive stuff like that before, but this time it was a joke".

Those other comedians are clearly joking because when they say their real opinions there's a huge difference.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

My vibe on her is that she sincerely believes the conspiracy stuff.

I guess its impossible to say and doesn't really matter that much...

My thing with Roseanne is a she is a person who has a history of both being contrarian and genuinely promoting acceptance of people who are different from her, going back to a time before this was the norm in mass media. 

Maybe she's a nut job or maybe she just thinks saying this stuff is funny and edgy.  Maybe a combination of both.  But her being a hateful and racist person seems less likely than her just making a stupid comment she hadn't though through. 

Who knows.  Not saying it makes it better in either case.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, mission27 said:

I guess its impossible to say and doesn't really matter that much...

My thing with Roseanne is a she is a person who has a history of both being contrarian and genuinely promoting acceptance of people who are different from her, going back to a time before this was the norm in mass media. 

Maybe she's a nut job or maybe she just thinks saying this stuff is funny and edgy.  Maybe a combination of both.  But her being a hateful and racist person seems less likely than her just making a stupid comment she hadn't though through. 

Who knows.  Not saying it makes it better in either case.

edit: never mind actually this isn't prolly gonna lead to any productive good conversation lol

Edited by jfinley88

18 minutes ago, mission27 said:

She's been progressing throughout the years far more radical and racist in her behavior though. This (from 2010) is who she's been for the last decade, and it's not the same Roseanne who we saw in the 90's.

10 hours ago, NS922 said:

This is why I don't ever look at news anymore. There is always some controversy and I do not care about any of it. And if it's not controversy, it's something bad happening somewhere that doesn't involve me and I don't want to see it (and usually there is a controversy about those too).

I'm with you, the news sucks. Add along with how everyone is sensitive to absolutely everything and it makes it 10x more unbearable to watch. I keep up with current events, I read news articles online in the morning at work if it interests me but other than that, you'll never catch me watching the news on tv.

I also want to add that Twitter is one of the stupidest things ever invented. It personifies what society is today, a world of self absorbed idiots who think we all want to read their thoughts on social media. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, steadypimpin said:

I also want to add that Twitter is one of the stupidest things ever invented. It personifies what society is today, a world of self absorbed idiots who think we all want to read their thoughts on social media. 

My thoughts exactly.

48 minutes ago, MathMan said:

maybe just breadcrumb it earlier

I just can't get enough of the news story. It seems like something straight out of a movie. 

Follow me on my twitter for the hottest takes about the latest news.

50 minutes ago, steadypimpin said:

I generally agree. I use it to stay in contact with podcasters and other people from the RPG community that I hang out with at conventions or things like that. But even in that arena there are a lot of the younger podcasters and podcasters from larger cities who are going off the deep end trying to pat themselves on the back and slam others. I fairly regularly curate those who I follow so that I can avoid the useless drivel that is being spouted and the back patting and different opinion hating that is dominating the medium. Granted, Facebook isn't hugely better, but it's maybe easier to curate what you see than Twitter is. 

17 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

I generally agree. I use it to stay in contact with podcasters and other people from the RPG community that I hang out with at conventions or things like that. But even in that arena there are a lot of the younger podcasters and podcasters from larger cities who are going off the deep end trying to pat themselves on the back and slam others. I fairly regularly curate those who I follow so that I can avoid the useless drivel that is being spouted and the back patting and different opinion hating that is dominating the medium. Granted, Facebook isn't hugely better, but it's maybe easier to curate what you see than Twitter is. 

Facebook is the worst. You find that friends on there post the most ridiculous stuff. Over the top political stuff, posting their dirty laundry for all to see, stupid game achievements or quizzes. Spamming the hell outta FB with reposts. I keep it simple, post a pic here and there of my family or kids for my family that isnt close by to see. I dont even like to go on FB anymore.