Pre-injury J.J. Watt vs. prime Reggie White

NFLExpert49

Pre-injury J.J. Watt vs. prime Reggie White  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Pre-injury J.J. Watt vs. prime Reggie White

• Pre-injury J.J. Watt
    • Prime Reggie White

Yea, this is one of those questions where I’m positive there’s no answer.

I wonder how accurate tackles were recorded when White played.  PFR has him at 4 seasons with 100+ tackles (1 at 98, 1 at 83, 1 at 76 in 12 games).  That’s insane for a lineman.

White for me, but just looking at some of his years outside his prime, like 1998 for example, he had 16 sacks that year...at age 37 holy **** lol that dude was a monster.

But yeah you can't go wrong with either. JJ's 2012-15 seasons were absolutely astonishing. However, like a few have already stated if he didn't get injured you just have to wonder watt could have been.

Reggie White was slightly before my time. Having said that, it's hard to pick against him even with seeing Watt first hand. 

I know it's a "what if" with Watt but White also has a bit of a "what if" case. What if White came straight to the NFL instead of playing those 2 seasons in the USFL and also didn't take that year off before coming back with the Panthers in 2000. He would've shattered the career sack record and maybe would've had a couple of more All Pros, Pro Bowls and DPOYs.

White had 70 sacks in a four year stretch.
Watt had 69 sacks in a four year stretch plus an 80 yard INT return and 15 forced fumbles in an era in which quarterbacks are more protected than certain human rights. 

If we define prime as best four years, it was Watt without question. 

49 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

White had 70 sacks in a four year stretch.
Watt had 69 sacks in a four year stretch plus an 80 yard INT return and 15 forced fumbles in an era in which quarterbacks are more protected than certain human rights. 

If we define prime as best four years, it was Watt without question. 

In Reggie's best year the passing attempt top 10 ranges from 389-463

In Watts it was 582-659.

Archived