Game of Thrones - Our Watch has Ended

pwny

I don't like the fact that Tyrion was dumbed down to build up Sansa. They did the same thing with Baelish. I don't mind them making her as smart as them but don't give such a piss poor explanation. The fact they actually had Tyrion believe Cersei contradicts his mindset on her for like the last 7 seasons. Also did anyone notice he's becoming more and more of a afterthought with every episode? The worst thing is that they are setting up the main battle with the WW as the first thing to take care of rather then Cersei. I know thats the plan and story of the characters. But that does not have to be how they direct it.

Good episode. They are setting it up where Jon will either fight Dany if she goes crazy, or he will keep the secret to himself and take it with him to his grave with his son or daughter still ending up there heir to the Iron Throne.

6 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

She was responsible for the destruction of the most powerful army in the known world through a meer screw up. And single handidly destroyed the only known source of magic in the east being the Warlocks tower, then went on to end a 5 thousand year old slave trade economy thus provoking the largest city in Essos to declare war on her all the while trying to build up her experience as a ruler.

She's done a bit in the 5 books, and I think you read too much online criticism.

Always gotta throw that bit in there, like somebody can't dislike something for what it is. Come the **** on, that's such a lazy *** argument and it needs to stop being thrown around.

Everything she did in Easteros has little to no affect on the rest of the characters in the world. It's just her rolling around town with her plot-armor set to full shields while she commits screw up after screw up and sees very few consequences.

Any other character gets Drago killed like that, dead on the spot.

What did she actually do in the Warlock tower? This was the most incompetent bunch of morons ever. They basically tripped over their own dicks while she stood and watched.

As far as Essos, great? She rolled in with her army, sat down on the chair, pissed everyone off for a few years and then noped the hell out of there. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The LBC said:

I'm actually kind of loving the fact that someone on there caught something that totally evaded me at first.  Ned told Jon, in S1E2 IIRC, that the next time he saw him they'd talk about his mother.  And then Jon finds out about who his mother is in this episode... in front of the statue of Ned at Ned's tomb, which legitimately was the next time Jon did see Ned.

I highly doubt that. Jon was in the crypts in season 6.

8 hours ago, JTagg7754 said:

Can't wait for next week! Jaime and Bran having a chat will be excellent TV. Jon telling Dany that it's not her throne? Some good stuff will be happening

I've not read the books which contain this answer, but I was wondering last night if Jon would forestall laying the "I'm the Dude..." conversation on Dany for fear of alienating her loyalists.

I mean, she (and her followers) are the key to the kingdom no? She takes her ball and goes home....."Thats a wrap folks!"

I guess it could all be "bridged" with a simple: "You followed me...now I want you to follow him (with the subliminal and unstated message "if you dont I'll have my dragons roast you alive...." type message.

I guess we'll see......

5 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

I don't like the fact that Tyrion was dumbed down to build up Sansa. They did the same thing with Baelish. I don't mind them making her as smart as them but don't give such a piss poor explanation. The fact they actually had Tyrion believe Cersei contradicts his mindset on her for like the last 7 seasons. Also did anyone notice he's becoming more and more of a afterthought with every episode? The worst thing is that they are setting up the main battle with the WW as the first thing to take care of rather then Cersei. I know thats the plan and story of the characters. But that does not have to be how they direct it.

Yeah, they did a really poor job developing Sansa.  She showed no rise in intelligence for seasons at a time, then suddenly she's smart.  It's like they didn't want to invest the time into making her character arc believable and just skipped to the end.  She never got further than the Vale in the books, which is why I'm guessing the arc suffered so much.  They knew where her character was going but didn't have the material to adapt on how she gets there, then they lumped her in with Jeyne Pool's story in season 6.

Tyrion just sucks now.  Especially when you watch the early episodes when he was still funny.

8 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I'm not. Get all of the reunions out of the way early so that episodes 2-6 can be focused on other things.

I too thought Sam would not be mad about his father and brother being executed.

Best line in the show other than "I'm waiting for an old friend" by Bran waiting for Jaime.

Interesting. I'd not attributed that comment to Jaime. Rather I'd thought he was referencing Sam....as in "I was waiting for an old friend (you) to walk up so I could tell him to go break the news to Jon...."

Actually - I found the re-connections made last night with a number of characters interesting.....aka when Jaime came upon Bran. You can bet he'd not considered that for awhile.

8 hours ago, The LBC said:

I'm actually kind of loving the fact that someone on there caught something that totally evaded me at first.  Ned told Jon, in S1E2 IIRC, that the next time he saw him they'd talk about his mother.  And then Jon finds out about who his mother is in this episode... in front of the statue of Ned at Ned's tomb, which legitimately was the next time Jon did see Ned.

Damn. Thats pretty good analysis.

Thoughts on episode 1:

- The Arya/Jon reunion was everything I was hoping for. Can't say as much for the Hound but it was fitting.

- Really surprised they wrapped up the Yara storyline as fast as they did. I'm fine with it because I'd rather use the screen time elsewhere, but it just seemed to easy.

- Jon riding the dragon was cool, but didn't seem as impactful as it should've for some reason. Maybe it was the ending where Daeny and him were just in their own little world, but it just seemed out of place to me.

- Cersei completely cut herself off from Jamie with now having another possible father to her baby.

- Poor Ned Umber. Legit got a jump scare out of it though which I never fall for.

- The scene with Sam and Jon was awesome. Very well done the way they shot it and the fact that Sam had to be the one to tell him.

Overall, it was a lot of reunions and setup, which I had a feeling it would be. With only 6 episodes in the season, I was kind of hoping they would all be amazing but I'll take it. Next week should be interesting between the scenes with Bran/Jamie, Jon/Tormund, and how Jon handles Daeny now that he knows the throne isn't hers.

8 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Best line in the show other than "I'm waiting for an old friend" by Bran waiting for Jaime.

Hadn't even thought of that, that's good.

I don't think Bran is one to hold a grudge these days and I think it'll be what he has to say that gets Dany off Jaime's back about killing Aerys. 

25 minutes ago, Leader said:

I've not read the books which contain this answer, but I was wondering last night if Jon would forestall laying the "I'm the Dude..." conversation on Dany for fear of alienating her loyalists.

I mean, she (and her followers) are the key to the kingdom no? She takes her ball and goes home....."Thats a wrap folks!"

I guess it could all be "bridged" with a simple: "You followed me...now I want you to follow him (with the subliminal and unstated message "if you dont I'll have my dragons roast you alive...." type message.

I guess we'll see......

I could see him keeping it a secret but asking her to marry him at the weirwood tree. That way, they are in it together.

Then again, now that he knows they are related that might complicate that theory.

2 minutes ago, JonStark said:

I could see him keeping it a secret but asking her to marry him at the weirwood tree. That way, they are in it together.

Then again, now that he knows they are related that might complicate that theory.

It's general knowledge that Targaryans inter-marry.  Maybe he just embraces that and doesn't tell anyone.  Or at least that's his plan until Dany forces his hand to reveal it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I don't know - I'd have to go do a re-watch - either way it was well done and good cinematography.

I mean this whole episode was reeking of "Dany's going to go power hungry and someone's gonna have to stop her when she does" and that's ultimately gonna be Jon. Not hard to envision Dany doing something stupid and dying. I mean it should've happened like 8 times already.

Her character has always been entirely unflinching and unable to compromise. They downplayed it in early seasons, mostly because it worked, but she's been basically resorting to yelling at people, then just overwhelming them with dragons/her armies since Season 2. As the show has gone on, they've steadily increased the punishments she gets for being completely unable to negotiate. In Season 5, she benched her dragons for killing one kid, and paid for it by being unable to control the Sons of the Harpy. In Season 6, she loses Daario because the sham marriage she tried earlier didn't work and she wasn't willing to have a side piece. In Season 7, she loses Viserion because she couldn't accept that Jon Snow was going to die and lost a lot of allies in Westeros because she wouldn't show mercy to the Tarlys.

She got a prophecy early on in the books they skipped in the movies that says she'll be betrayed for blood (the witch), gold (Jorah's pardon), and love (unknown), so I agree someone is going to betray her, but really she's her own worst enemy.

Just now, THE DUKE said:

It's general knowledge that Targaryans inter-marry.  Maybe he just embraces that and doesn't tell anyone.  Or at least that's his plan until Dany forces his hand to reveal it.

Potentially there's more story line conflict is it remains a secret. 

14 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Her character has always been entirely unflinching and unable to compromise. They downplayed it in early seasons, mostly because it worked, but she's been basically resorting to yelling at people, then just overwhelming them with dragons/her armies since Season 2. As the show has gone on, they've steadily increased the punishments she gets for being completely unable to negotiate. In Season 5, she benched her dragons for killing one kid, and paid for it by being unable to control the Sons of the Harpy. In Season 6, she loses Daario because the sham marriage she tried earlier didn't work and she wasn't willing to have a side piece. In Season 7, she loses Viserion because she couldn't accept that Jon Snow was going to die and lost a lot of allies in Westeros because she wouldn't show mercy to the Tarlys.

She got a prophecy early on in the books they skipped in the movies that says she'll be betrayed for blood (the witch), gold (Jorah's pardon), and love (unknown), so I agree someone is going to betray her, but really she's her own worst enemy.

Generally the character's infused with a lot of male characteristics and it's worth considering if she'd have achieved as much if not.

Edited by Leader