Game of Thrones - Our Watch has Ended

pwny

I think people are missing the point of some much of the criticism. Overall, the main aspects of this episode (compared to previous) are fine. But they should be considering D&D obviously STARTED with these plot points, and worked backwards. Issues with Dannys heel turn or Jamies Arc being a circle, are more about HOW the story brought things to this point. The plot conclusions were not earned through story telling. They were lead by contrivances, shortcuts, and inconsistency in the universes internal logic, three things that kill the suspension of disbelief.

This is not even getting into other underlying issues like how actors popularity dictated how characters were handled,  plot lines being essentially built around visual "moments", and most importantly, things the story told us to care about, being brushed aside in favor or shock and awe. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

It's difficult to portray because it takes time and development. Something the first 6 seasons of the show had. They get to the biggest plot twist of the entire show and they force it on it in seconds. Game of Thrones did it to itself by setting the bar so high, but to me this ending is a total flop of what it could have been.

Perhaps - if you're going down the "mental madness" rabbit hole.
If you dont go there - the story supports for her actions are clear to see IMO and consistent with rulers before her.

I think - if Jon could / would still love her - as she was Queen - if that future was still there for her/them - she wouldnt have wiped out the town.

Edited by Leader

1 minute ago, LeeEvans said:

Forgot to mention last night, Euron is easily the worst written character in this show. I feel bad for the actor, he was doomed to fail with what he was given to work with. 

He is basically Bronn except stupid. 

15 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Agreed.  The series is largely based on the war of the roses (Starks are Yorks, Lannisters are Lancasters) and that ended with a marriage between the two houses.

Yeah.  Given that Dany literally chained her "children" up in a basement when the other one burned one innocent child, that's a big jump to intentionally mowing down all the civilians in King's Landing.  Would have been better IMO to just have her say "screw the bells, I'm burning Cersei anyway" and have her destroy the castle.  Just that would cause thousands of deaths, and would be more believable.  Plus, it would create actual conflict over whether she was justified, instead of making everyone watching write her off as a full on bad guy.

Re: Sansa / Tyrion it would also pay off the growth she’s had in being so calculating and the smartest one around.  Consolidate power with a like mind.  

Re: Dany it could have also gone that after destroying the Red Keep she still had anger unfulfilled.   I could buy that a lot more than going HAM on the innocents exactly at the moment when the battle was conceded.   

2 minutes ago, Leader said:

Perhaps - if you're going down the "mental madness" rabbit hole.
If you dont go there - the story supports for her actions are clear to see IMO and consistent with rulers before her.

I don't want to go down that rabbit hole, the writers sent me there, how can I just ignore it? Haha

1 hour ago, JTagg7754 said:

Totally missed the poison plot (assuming). Good call on that!!

Youre welcome. Hit like and dont forget to subscribe. yadda yadda other youtube comments

36 minutes ago, Leader said:

Question - if Jon is to take things over - what to do with Drogon?

Attempt to become his owner. Or kill him to save the rando towns people from being eaten.

26 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I saw a over the course of this season that they were turning Dany into a mad queen, but I don't agree that they had any good foreshadowing (other than words and lore about past Targaryen's) or believable plotline for it to occur. Of course she had violent moments over the prior 7 seasons, but any character wanting to stake a claim to the throne had those moments, killing to advance your claim for power is not foreshadowing for losing your mind and killing thousands of innocent woman and children to me. I knew she was not going to be the lovable queen we were sold over the prior seasons, but I thought the plot of what turned her would be believable. I thought the background plot of Varys and Tyrion would materialize and they would back Jon behind her back, rumors would spread throughout her armies and people and after she'd defeated Cersei, she'd be left with the choice of giving up the throne or sacrificing everything she stood for to get it and in the process having to kill the man she's grown to love as well as her advisors she previously trusted and any other man that stood against her claim. That would be a believable reason to lose ones way and go mad. I guess we're supposed to buy that losing Jorah, Missandae and two of her dragons was the reasoning, but they just chose such poor timing in the episode to me, seemed so forced.

Episode itself was so well shot, some of the scenes downright beautiful, music was superb too. Overall just can't get on board with the writing. Seems like they came up with how they wanted it to end and quickly pieced together a plot they thought would make sense. Lacked any real hard hitting choices for Dany though was just a flash and then, hmm I'll go mad now I think.

Dany: Are you ready to begin?

Tyrion: Do we have a plan?

Dany: Kill and burn everyone (paraphrased). 

Its not the first time she wanted to kill everyone. And she has been stating she wanted to burn down kings landing for 2 seasons.

6 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

The suddenness sucked. There were always hints and moments that showed she had it in her to go mad, but the shortened seasons just rushed her turn that it essentially ruined the very interesting, slow burn development that was set up.

That's been a pretty consistent theme this season

Also, with Dany she's always been a very personal killer. For her to just burn down the Red Keep and assume Cersei dies is also very out of character, but that's just kinda me nitpicking and still being salty that Cersei didn't get a better death considering 8 seasons of her being straight up evil.

2 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Also, with Dany she's always been a very personal killer. For her to just burn down the Red Keep and assume Cersei dies is also very out of character, but that's just kinda me nitpicking and still being salty that Cersei didn't get a better death considering 8 seasons of her being straight up evil.

I'll submit having a castle fall on you............pretty nasty way to go.

1 minute ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I thought the Cersei death was well done.  Lena did a great job in portraying just how weak and broken Cersei was beneath the facade.  At the end, she had everything taken from her and knew that she, her brother, and their unborn child were all going to die.  She died with complete hopelessness.  Yeah, she didn't get tortured to death, but she was psychologically shattered.  

• Like 1

My coworker thinks it will definitely be Arya who kills Dany. She compared the scene to her riding off on a white horse as a symbolic biblical reference saying she was death riding a pale horse. Still haven't watched it but that would make a ton of sense given the current writing of the show. Dany may kill jon and Arya kills Dany with all hell breaking loose after with no one to rule. Only way they can subvert expectations now is to have Dany win and rule with an iron fist. 

2 minutes ago, Leader said:

I'll submit having a castle fall on you............pretty nasty way to go.

1 minute ago, Ragnarok said:

I thought the Cersei death was well done.  Lena did a great job in portraying just how weak and broken Cersei was beneath the facade.  At the end, she had everything taken from her and knew that she, her brother, and their unborn child were all going to die.  She died with complete hopelessness.  Yeah, she didn't get tortured to death, but she was psychologically shattered.  

I understand the points to be made here, but 8 seasons worth of build up for a pure evil character to have her killed by rocks in the dungeons of the red keep? Ugh. Even Captain Strickland got a more satisfying death.

1 minute ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I understand the points to be made here, but 8 seasons worth of build up for a pure evil character to have her killed by rocks in the dungeons of the red keep? Ugh. Even Captain Strickland got a more satisfying death.

The other part of it is that she died in much the same fashion as her subjects.  There was no special moment for her.  She died like the peasants she despised so much.  

• Like 1