Week 2 GDT - Texans @ Titans

TitanLegend

6 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

That trade for Correa is showing up big right now too. He’s done more in two games then Dodd did in his whole career.

for a 6th round pick, i'm comfortable with pretending we just selected him in the 2nd round instead of dodd....lol

1 hour ago, TitanSlim said:

Early morning thoughts.

This is the game that Jon Robinson should show if he ever needs to prove to anyone why he's a top GM.

Between our recent drafts picks having a big impact this game, depth guys/backups playing a big part in pulling out the W and his personal coaching hire thoroughly outcoaching the opposing coach, this was a "resume win" for JRob.

It feels so good to have a competent GM. It was a fun little saying, but now it really is "In JRob We Trust" for me.

Yeah, gotta say it's the first game in a long long time where I felt our coaching staff won the matchup against their peers. Still some silly decisions, but overall they allowed the players to have an opportunity to win. All you can ask for.

Blaine was my QB for a couple years at Mizzou. Nice for this to come full circle.

I personally feel like we could have played a bit more aggressive on O ... Blaine has the arm strength for it. I understand our train of thought, but feel like we still could have taken a shot or two down field

Before we praise Gabbert for that play, can we please let him know that if he just knocks down the first deflection, when he's over 10 yards behind the LOS, then we don't even lose five yards?  Yeah, once he catches that, his best option is the illegal second pass but QBs are taught ad nauseum to knock the thing down.  Don't catch it and try to morph into Barry Sanders for a play.  

Amazing game today.  Really showed a lot of creativity and a relentless drive to leave it all on the field.  Very excited about what this team can do as they gel more throughout the season!

57 minutes ago, titanrick said:

Before we praise Gabbert for that play, can we please let him know that if he just knocks down the first deflection, when he's over 10 yards behind the LOS, then we don't even lose five yards?  Yeah, once he catches that, his best option is the illegal second pass but QBs are taught ad nauseum to knock the thing down.  Don't catch it and try to morph into Barry Sanders for a play.  

Amazing game today.  Really showed a lot of creativity and a relentless drive to leave it all on the field.  Very excited about what this team can do as they gel more throughout the season!

That was my first thought as well about just batting the ball down, but he actually saved the down, allowing us to run more clock which was critical at that point in the game. 

48 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

not surprised to see adoree grade out well. frankly, if you're gonna leave someone on an island between butler and adoree, it's got to be adoree at this point. butler's just been getting toasted.

I feel kinda bad for Butler because we've asked him twice now to cover speed guys when even in his best years that's never been his thing. Why anyone other than Adoree is covering guys like Will Fuller and Kenny Stills 1 on 1 is a bit beyond me. Butler and Ryan(especially Butler) just don't have that kind of speed, so if they're even slightly beat off the line of scrimmage they're often screwed.

If I were DC I would have had Adoree on Fuller at all times, Ryan on Hopkins at all times(this isn't really a requirement, but last year when we moved Ryan to Hopkins he played him really well) and have Butler play whoever the third guy is. You can't have people shadowed 100% of the time, but any time it were possible, that's how I would have lined it up. At the very least, just have Jackson shadow Fuller.

I think another fair note, and Vrabel brought this up in his PC today, was Fuller pushed off on Butler, otherwise the pass probably gets broken up. It doesn't change the fact that Fuller beat him to begin with, but he got himself in pretty good position to recover on it had it not been for the push off.

I just don't feel Butler has really played all that poorly so far outside of the two deep balls, and again on those plays he recovered decently, but in one case it was a perfect throw/catch from Tannehill to Stills and in the other Fuller pushed him off. I feel like the coaching is letting him down more so than Butler is letting the Titans down.

It'd be like asking Bennie Logan to speed rush off the edge..why would you do that? It just doesn't fit his skill set.

Archived