The NFL needs to stop allowing ties in the regular season

49ersfan

The MLB, NHL, & NBA don't allow ties in the regular season anymore. The NFL shouldn't either. 

Obviously, the NFL is more physical and you don't want these guys playing forever. But they could introduce steps to induce a resolution quicker. Make OT more like CFB style, or maybe have the offense start in the redzone and give them 4 downs (if the game is still tied after an OT period), etc. I don't have all the answers, i'm sure there's someone smarter than me that could come up with a better fix. 

It just seems unacceptable to me that such a major sports league can have an outcome where no team wins. 2 ties in 2 weeks is unacceptable to me. 

The college style would be terrible.

I don't see anything wrong with the system as is.  I mean, if I bought a ticket to the game, I would be really disappointed if that was the result.  But overall I don't think it is a big deal.  Not the NFL's fault the kickers are inept.  Plus, ties are still fairly infrequent.  There was only what, 2 last year?  And maybe 3 the year before.  In the grand scheme of things, its still an unlikely result.

Just now, footbull3196 said:

Wow, that would be the first time that anyone's ever tried anything like that.  I feel like that rule would have the potential to last almost 50 years

lol, its genious!

and doubly so with the new fg doesnt win it on the first drive rule 

they need 15 mins..

2 minutes ago, mikemike778 said:

Why ?

What's the problem with a tie. Its also the fairest way to decide standings 

In the case of ties, the NFL should force James Harrison to give out participation trophies to all the captains after the game. Since there's like a 25% chance he murders everyone before doing that, it should sufficiently motivate the players so that a winner is determined.

The NFL knows where to find me if they need any other great ideas.

College OT is the way to go. Some of the greatest college football games of the past 25 years have been OT thrillers. As an OSU fan I can testify to this.

Take for example 2003 Arkansas VS. Kentucky. That went 7 OTs. I want to see games like that in the NFL.

1 minute ago, pf9 said:

College OT is the way to go. Some of the greatest college football games of the past 25 years have been OT thrillers. As an OSU fan I can testify to this.

Take for example 2003 Arkansas VS. Kentucky. That went 7 OTs. I want to see games like that in the NFL.

We should just refer to the 1st quarter as the 1st overtime. That way every NFL game goes at least 4 15 minute overtimes.

Here's a bit a trivia. Mike Nugent, the kicker on the 2002 Ohio State team that won the national championship in 2OT, missed a game-winning field goal for the Bengals at the end of their 2014 tie with the Panthers.

Archived