The NFL needs to stop allowing ties in the regular season

49ersfan

23 minutes ago, ChazStandard said:

Isn't the point of a league system that draws/ties count? Why not scrap OT in the regular season all together, and only use OT for the play-offs, but then make it more like soccer ET - you simply play another full quarter. After that...it goes to sudden death.

Eh... I'd prefer ties be rare. If you get rid of OT, you see like two ties per week. As for full quarter OT, I don't think the broadcasting companies would like that. It's the same reason they shortened OT to 10 minutes (no, it was not to protect players like they claimed).

4 hours ago, Malfatron said:

It feels like half the forum wants ties when you dont have a dog in the fight, myself imcluded.

lets leave things the way they are.

the ot rules lets people know if you have balls or if you go for the tie

I disagree because if it’s my team I’d much rather a tie than a loss because someone kicked a long field goal in a sudden death situation. Honestly if they were really going to tweak overtime I’d do this....

1. Two consecutive field goals win or the first touchdown wins. 

2. No overtime until the playoffs and then in the playoffs it’s an extra ten minute quarter until someone wins.

The NFL has the cheapest overtime in any sport. Basketball/baseball/soccer you just play an extra time period. Hockey lends itself more to sudden death because it doesn’t require possessions the same way as football. Football should just stay out of overtime until the playoffs when you need a winner. It’s too much of a deviation from the actual principle behind the sport. And way too many people make the argument that because teams kill themselves for 60 minutes they don’t deserve a tie so we should we would artificially create a scenario for someone to win. Which means one team killed itself for 60 minutes and we artificially manufactured a way for them to lose. 

Either do a full or shortened quarter that you have to play out or call the tie. 

We've avoided ties by the skin of our teeth in two consecutive weeks. First at the Ravens-Browns game then the Bears-Dolphins game.

Perhaps what the NFL's TV partners should do is force the league to adopt college OT rules as a condition of them continuing to do business with the NFL in the next contract.

19 minutes ago, pf9 said:

We've avoided ties by the skin of our teeth in two consecutive weeks. First at the Ravens-Browns game then the Bears-Dolphins game.

Perhaps what the NFL's TV partners should do is force the league to adopt college OT rules as a condition of them continuing to do business with the NFL in the next contract.

You are out of your mind 

If a winner hasn't been determined after the time frame which it has been decided a game should last, then I don't see why we absolutely must have a winner for a run-of-the-mill regular season game. Playoffs, fair enough, but that's a different story altogether.

You get ties in soccer, which is played religiously by billions of people around the world. You get ties in cricket, which is played by another billion or so mainly across a few Asian countries. Different cultures have different attitudes towards different things, I guess, but I don't really get the obsession in American sports about ties being this thing that needs to be eliminated/restricted in their frequency.

Speaking as a European who regularly attends soccer games, in no way does a game feel ruined by there not being a winner declared at the end.

On 14/10/2018 at 9:40 PM, pf9 said:

Ties aren’t a bad thing from a TV ratings standpoint so I’m really not sure what your point is here?

Archived