The NFL needs to stop allowing ties in the regular season

49ersfan

1 hour ago, miserablesince96 said:

The best idea I have heard or read to fix overtime I heard is on Bill Simmons. He suggested no punts or field goals in overtime. Adds more strategy to deciding who wants the ball first, forces the offense to be aggressive and hopefully end games faster

Not  a bad idea - except teams would just go deep on 4th down a lot, hoping for a TD or PI, and knowing that a pick is as good as a punt. Would be interesting to see DBs trying to battle their instincts and knock balls down rather than pick them off.

1 hour ago, miserablesince96 said:

The best idea I have heard or read to fix overtime I heard is on Bill Simmons. He suggested no punts or field goals in overtime. Adds more strategy to deciding who wants the ball first, forces the offense to be aggressive and hopefully end games faster

I like no punts. But field goals should still be allowed.

38 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

College Rules except start at the 50. Football is suppose to be seen as the toughest American sport but the only sport out of thr main three that does ties. 

counterpoint: its so tough that a particular contest can deem both teams not deserving of the win

Hate ties, prefer college OT to regular season OT. Although I’d tweak it, push them a little further out and make stats not count or at least make stats separate. Otherwise we’ll have 10 TD games.

(Minority opinion, I know)

12 hours ago, BayRaider said:

College Rules except start at the 50. Football is suppose to be seen as the toughest American sport but the only sport out of thr main three that does ties. 

Yes, we shorten the time period so why not the field?

The point of sports is competition, whats the point of competing to a tie?

On 9/16/2018 at 5:41 PM, ILoveTheVikings said:

No kidding. Did the refs gift Diggs or Thielen those incredible TD catches?

I said it in the other thread but while the new rule is absolutely trash, that was the right call. I hate these new rules that keep getting implemented that make it so you cannot even touch a QB.

I remember a play earlier in the game where some Dlineman from the Packers almost had Cousins wrapped up then he just let up and stopped. He didn't get the sack, Cousins scrambled away and threw the ball (forgot the outcome of that)...but what the hell is that? Was he so scared of getting called for a penalty that he gave up when he thought he'd have the sack? Dude literally had Cousins wrapped up.

Might as well make blitzing illegal and only allow 4 people max to ever go after the QB.

Recently the league has said that tackle on Cousins by Matthews was legal.  It was a basic sack and Clay did not put all of his weight on top of Cousins.  This doesn't do us any good after the fact but I just wanted to point out that the refs screwed up with that particular call.  Just last week a KC Chief defender let up and didn't tackle Brady because he thought Tom had already passed the ball and didn't want to get a RTP penalty either.

Archived