The NFL needs to stop allowing ties in the regular season

49ersfan

It just so happens another great college OT game was the 2003 Fiesta Bowl where Ohio State won the national championship in 2OT. Many people have called it one of the best college games of all time, which would not have been possible without college OT rules. I also consider it the best birthday gift I ever received.

Since 2012 there have been 7 ties with the changes to the OT rules (an average of one tie every season), almost double the amount that occurred between 1989 and 2011.

Rather than make changes that will surely increase ties, the NFL should have made the one change in 2012 that eliminated them altogether - switching to college OT rules. It's not too late to consider the switch for the 2019 season, as part of the NFL's centennial celebration.

8 minutes ago, pf9 said:

Since 2012 there have been 7 ties with the changes to the OT rules (an average of one tie every season), almost double the amount that occurred between 1989 and 2011.

Rather than make changes that will surely increase ties, the NFL should have made the one change in 2012 that eliminated them altogether - switching to college OT rules. It's not too late to consider the switch for the 2019 season, as part of the NFL's centennial celebration.

exactly

2 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I miss sudden death OT.

yep

As a viewer I hate ties in the NFL

Whats the solution?

A kickoff to settle it! If the 2 teams can’t get it done put the kickers on the field for 5 attempts from different distances. Do this until there is a winner 

In all seriousness 

Keep the overtime rule as it is now. If after 10 mins there is no winner then play sudden death (college style) from the 15 yard line with no first down possible (unless penalty). I know some won’t like this because it’s “set up” but it would be entertaining as a fan 

6 hours ago, pf9 said:

Here's a bit a trivia. Mike Nugent, the kicker on the 2002 Ohio State team that won the national championship in 2OT, missed a game-winning field goal for the Bengals at the end of their 2014 tie with the Panthers.

Do you normally play trivia by yourself?

Archived