Eagles release veteran RB Ryan Mathews

RaidersAreOne

2 hours ago, MemphisEagles said:

We couldn't cut Matthews without paying him an injury settlement if he couldn't pass a physical, that's why we waited so long.

It's not any more complicated than the above.  Mathews so risky injury wise it's unclear if he will even get a FA sniff.  The RB position is so disposable these days. 

On 8/15/2017 at 7:28 PM, steadypimpin said:

Yeah but Gore is better than him and Mathews would probably not be a guy to build around. He'd be lucky to make it 2 years on the Colts. 

Anyone even considering Mathews at this stage is looking at a one year deal at most. His injury history makes him a significant risk beyond a single season.

Nobody is building around him, that ship has sailed.

35 minutes ago, eagles101 said:
On 8/15/2017 at 0:10 PM, steadypimpin said:

Man I remember getting blasted here when I said this guy is just an average RB. He really was never that good. 

I would argue that you are still wrong on that

I would agree. He wasn't elite, but he was solid. Injuries really derailed him, but that's isn't to say he wasn't good.

On 8/15/2017 at 4:49 PM, Blaaaaaah said:

Injury and fumble prone. Pretty terrible combination.

I'd also like to add that he has no vision, can't block for crap and is lazy. Pretty much always shows up to camp out of shape.

So in summary soft, lazy,  with major ball security issues looking for work. I'd be surprised if anyone even calls. He's done and can now focus full time on those 40 man raids. 

On 8/18/2017 at 2:09 PM, Boltstrikes said:

I'd also like to add that he has no vision, can't block for crap and is lazy. Pretty much always shows up to camp out of shape.

Bro every one knows you go on gear after the 2nd preseason game so then your not tested again bro. I don't understand the problem. 

On 8/18/2017 at 2:09 PM, Boltstrikes said:

So in summary soft, lazy,  with major ball security issues looking for work. I'd be surprised if anyone even calls. He's done and can now focus full time on those 40 man raids. 

Exaggerate much? Especially the last part about being lazy and always showing up to camp out of shape. Do you have any proof? The only thing that remotely resembled that was in 2011. And that only happened because it was during the lockout and because he failed a conditioning test, which got blown way out of proportion. How else do you explain having one of his best seasons with the Chargers afterwards? 

The truth of the manner is that the guy was great when he could stay on the field and didn't fumble. He definitely made our line a lot better than it was. You could see the difference in 2014 when he was out, and other people were running behind that oline. I wouldn't mind taking him back if as a backup if he was healthy.

Archived