2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

22 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Unless we plan on starting Jones - still a gaping hole where another Safety should be

Yea easily the biggest need left IMO. Not particularly keen on a rookie starting either given their propensity to make mistakes. I'd rather add a Tre Boston for at least 1 year and draft a guy end of 1st/2nd to be ready to contribute this year and start in 2020.

7 hours ago, KManX89 said:

Why not? A top 5-10 talent who the idea of falling to our 12nd pick was unheard of until WF did their latest 2019 mock and happens to fill a need.

I thought people wanted us to go BPA after all these FA signings?

Isn’t his production concerning?  He was the 3rd best WR statistically on his team the last two years.  I think Brown will be a better pro.

7 minutes ago, Fl0nkerton said:

When you guys make a big board, how do you rank prospects that you're pretty sure GB isn't gonna touch?

I generally kind of make two.  I’ll straight out rank the guys how I think they will go in the draft (not really my personal preference), then a tier board for the Packers.  Which is very packer position specific, i.e., there will be no QBs in the first 3 or 4 tiers.

13 minutes ago, Fl0nkerton said:

When you guys make a big board, how do you rank prospects that you're pretty sure GB isn't gonna touch?

If your purpose for the board is to rank players based on how GB will value them then don’t rank them at all.

10 minutes ago, BrettFavre004 said:

I generally kind of make two.  I’ll straight out rank the guys how I think they will go in the draft (not really my personal preference), then a tier board for the Packers.  Which is very packer position specific, i.e., there will be no QBs in the first 3 or 4 tiers.

9 minutes ago, deathstar said:

If your purpose for the board is to rank players based on how GB will value them then don’t rank them at all.

Appreciate the input.

I'm just having trouble placing the WR's honestly.

I've got Metcalf / Brown / Harry / Hollywood somewhere between 20 and 26 overall but I'd be livid if they picked a WR in the first round lol.

36 minutes ago, Fl0nkerton said:

So the "big board" is the vertical board, it's just all the guys in order.  For that, I would just list everybody (until you want to stop) and use a sticker or color code guys who aren't targets.  For the team-specific stuff leave that for the horizontal board, where you have one column per position and you group these guys into tiers within a position vertically.  I just leave guys who I am almost sure the Packers don't want off the horizontal board entirely.

Honestly, if I was just making one I prefer the horizontal board since it's helpful to glance at during the draft in order to figure out which positions are still deep and which are picked over.

17 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Probably going to be Tramon and a draft pick unless they decide to move Josh Jackson.

TBH tramon didn’t play half bad once he was relegated to a coverage safety role. Line him up next to a dependable partner (Amos) and draft a future CFer type and I’d be pretty damn okay with it.

in fact, pretty sure PFF graded him fairly well in that role, if you’re into their coverage stats (one of the few I actually like of theirs)

2 hours ago, coachbuns said:

Just say no to any WR for us at #12.  Not even sure I'd take one at #30 but open for debate.

You should never say never. For a special talent like Metcalf, exceptions must be considered. Watch his tape. He does things that normal wrs can't do and has legitimate freak best player at his position in the league upside.  In this draft, there are only 3 guys like that (Bosa, Q Williams, and Metcalf).

I was saying this before his combine by the way, so this isn't combine knee jerk. The only reason I wouldn't take him if he is there is if the medicals don't check out.

8 minutes ago, pacman5252 said:

You should never say never. For a special talent like Metcalf, exceptions must be considered. Watch his tape. He does things that normal wrs can't do and has legitimate freak best player at his position in the league upside.  In this draft, there are only 3 guys like that (Bosa, Q Williams, and Metcalf).

I was saying this before his combine by the way, so this isn't combine knee jerk. The only reason I wouldn't take him if he is there is if the medicals don't check out.

Special talent? Meh.

more like special body and size.

6 minutes ago, pacman5252 said:

Just don't agree.  You still have to get him the ball, he still has to run good routes, etc.  Again, at #30, maybe.  I just don't want ANY red flags on a player period especially at #12.  We've had enough problems with injuries on this team the past few years let alone thinking of drafting anyone who already has medical red flags waving.   Give me an edge, interior DL, OT there and fill in the other draft spots at #30 and down. 

1 minute ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Packers might pick a non-premium position in the first round, but it won't be at 12 (or higher).  I figure that first pick is going to be an Edge, OL, or DL full stop.

I think that's a given.

Also, even if we do start Josh Jones we still have a gaping hole at Safety........again.....

Archived