Week 3 Gameday Thread

Johnny Nix

Just now, Heinz D. said:

Not sure what your position is, either. Clarify? 

Well, your comment was basically, "Yeah, but it's a new rule and they called it correctly", which I'm still not entirely convinced of but let's set that aside. Let's say it was called correctly.

That doesn't mean that it's a good, or tenable rule. I feel like given the nature of good, well-played, full-speed football, it's a rule that's impossible NOT to break without SIGNIFICANTLY changing the spirit of the entire way a defensive line can play the game. They essentially can't go full speed at a quarterback anymore. They basically have to rule up and...try and shove the QB hard enough that the QB falls down, but they stay standing? I don't even get it really.

So I said, I could create a ton of terrible rules and enforce them correctly. Here's a new rule: defensive players can only intercept passes with their teeth, but the ball can't touch their facemasks, and they still can't remove their helmets. So a DB tries to do this, takes a football to the kisser, and is called for a penalty: "The football touched the defensive player's facemask. 15 yards. first down". People go "well that's a good call, it did touch the plastic of the facemask, gotta call it." BUT IT'S AN INSANE RULE AND IMPOSSIBLE NOT TO DO IF YOU'RE TRYING TO DO YOUR JOB!

The league just sees a bunch of stuff happening and is like "No! Don't do that! (low hit) Wait, don't do that either! (high hit) Or wait, no also don't do that we don't like that! (landing on a QB)" So............what exactly CAN a defensive player do? The league has to be very clear about what defensive players CAN do, rather than finding a bunch of stuff that they don't want them doing

1 minute ago, DawgX said:

Agreed. They beat two below average/bad teams at home. I was confident they weren't going to beat Baltimore today, although I was really hoping they would.

Yeah.

Both Seattle and Oakland look like they may be picking in the top 5-7 and Denver barely beat them. They look like 6-7 win team IMO. 

2 minutes ago, DannyB said:

The league just sees a bunch of stuff happening and is like "No! Don't do that! (low hit) Wait, don't do that either! (high hit) Or wait, no also don't do that we don't like that! (landing on a QB)" So............what exactly CAN a defensive player do? The league has to be very clear about what defensive players CAN do, rather than finding a bunch of stuff that they don't want them doing

At this point, I'd think I'd rather see that you can't tackle the QB.  You either wrap him up or you don't.  At least in that sense, we might get some sort of consistency.

Archived